What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:10 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The only question that you need consider today is 'Is this acceptable'?

Take the fish away and it's perfectly fine.
Fish and gravy? No not ever. Not for me anyway.

As AT said, take the fish away and you have a perfectly good dinner.
^^

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:48 am

Fish with chippy curry...... The best
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:26 am

Always been a big fan of chips, mushy peas and curry sauce myself.

Can't be doing with the fried fish. Just never taken to it. Will still eat it of course.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:46 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Always been a big fan of chips, mushy peas and curry sauce myself.

Can't be doing with the fried fish. Just never taken to it. Will still eat it of course.
I rarely get fish unless I really like the look of place.

Call me Nigel, but I've never had a decent fish from a foreign owned chippy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:49 pm

Depends what you mean by foreign-owned. I haven't from anything that isn't purely a chippy (ie. not a kebab shop first etc.) other than from the odd Chinese chippy. But there's a couple of chippies in Chorley owend by a dodgy Turkish guy which are pretty good.

When I lived back home I hardly ever had fish, much rather have pudding and chips. Since moving down here I've had to get to like it. It's belting if it's good but fecking awful if it's not.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:Depends what you mean by foreign-owned. I haven't from anything that isn't purely a chippy (ie. not a kebab shop first etc.) other than from the odd Chinese chippy. But there's a couple of chippies in Chorley owend by a dodgy Turkish guy which are pretty good.

When I lived back home I hardly ever had fish, much rather have pudding and chips. Since moving down here I've had to get to like it. It's belting if it's good but fecking awful if it's not.
There's Steve Supper bar in Walkden, that's owned by a Cypriot. It's a fantastic chippy... Except for the fish. The fish is shit.

Don't get me started on Chinese chippies.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:14 pm

boltonboris wrote: I rarely get fish unless I really like the look of plaice.
I so wish you'd done it :lol:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
boltonboris wrote: I rarely get fish unless I really like the look of plaice.
I so wish you'd done it :lol:
:lol:

Me too, now!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:50 pm

In my favourite Dutch hotel, so tuna steak on the hot rock. This Swinkels ' beer is well worth a run out too, cats!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Always been a big fan of chips, mushy peas and curry sauce myself.

I rarely get fish unless I really like the look of place.
How does that work if it's cod?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:54 am

Spent last weekend in Kirkby Lonsdale in a gourmet pub. The food was phenomenal and even the full English in the morning was the finest I've eaten. My bug bear though is steak. After the fancy menu on Friday I went for something a bit more straightforward on the Saturday and opted for a sirloin. It was good but not half as good as their other stuff. I've eaten juicy tender steaks all over the world so why can't I get one here?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Spent last weekend in Kirkby Lonsdale in a gourmet pub. The food was phenomenal and even the full English in the morning was the finest I've eaten. My bug bear though is steak. After the fancy menu on Friday I went for something a bit more straightforward on the Saturday and opted for a sirloin. It was good but not half as good as their other stuff. I've eaten juicy tender steaks all over the world so why can't I get one here?
You can. Get to a good butchers and buy one then cook it yourself. There are lots of good places for steak too. Only been once but Hawksmoor in Manchester is good for a chain, pricey though.

Also with steak I find it is good to know what cuts you like best and how you like them cooked. Fillet for example has little fat so little flavour but is incredibly tender. But essentially I think best served blue-very rare. Rib eye has more fat and more flavour, but I prefer a bit more fat rendered down, so go medium-rare...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Never understood the obsession with fillet steak. You want me to pay twice the price for half the taste?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Here in Dubai you can get rump heart. It's not a heart, it's just very similar to fillet without the price tag. Cooked and seasoned properly it's very nice. Still prefer prime rib mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:Never understood the obsession with fillet steak. You want me to pay twice the price for half the taste?
Ladies cut though isn't it. No fat, innit!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Spent last weekend in Kirkby Lonsdale in a gourmet pub. The food was phenomenal and even the full English in the morning was the finest I've eaten. My bug bear though is steak. After the fancy menu on Friday I went for something a bit more straightforward on the Saturday and opted for a sirloin. It was good but not half as good as their other stuff. I've eaten juicy tender steaks all over the world so why can't I get one here?
You can. Get to a good butchers and buy one then cook it yourself. There are lots of good places for steak too. Only been once but Hawksmoor in Manchester is good for a chain, pricey though.

Also with steak I find it is good to know what cuts you like best and how you like them cooked. Fillet for example has little fat so little flavour but is incredibly tender. But essentially I think best served blue-very rare. Rib eye has more fat and more flavour, but I prefer a bit more fat rendered down, so go medium-rare...
You can get halfdecent steaks here but they're not in the same league as stuff I'vehad in Europe or the Americas. Even Gaucho in Manchester couldn't get close
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You can get halfdecent steaks here but they're not in the same league as stuff I'vehad in Europe or the Americas. Even Gaucho in Manchester couldn't get close
Gaucho isn't very good I'll agree there.

Still I've had some cracking ones here. Had a porterhouse one a while back that I still salivate over. That was in a gastro pub too IIRC.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Nothing to touch a good T-Bone for me, although a mate who was a butcher with his own shop and surrounded by prime meat swore rump was the steak of choice for him every time?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Nothing to touch a good T-Bone for me, although a mate who was a butcher with his own shop and surrounded by prime meat swore rump was the steak of choice for him every time?
Rump has most flavour generally. But tends to be tougher than say a rib-eye.

T-bone is sirloin and fillet! Same basically as a porterhouse! Think the bone gives extra flavour.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Cooking on the bone retains natural moisture.

I disagree on the Rump/Ribeye point though. A good butcher will age his meats (the last time I was in a restaurant my butcher's meat used to lose 20% of weight through salt-chamber ageing). After that, we'd water bath the ribeye to soften the fat, before flash frying in butter. I can't think of better steak. He's quite local to most guys on here I'm guessing.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.