What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Malcolm Carr?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Cooking on the bone retains natural moisture.

I disagree on the Rump/Ribeye point though. A good butcher will age his meats (the last time I was in a restaurant my butcher's meat used to lose 20% of weight through salt-chamber ageing). After that, we'd water bath the ribeye to soften the fat, before flash frying in butter. I can't think of better steak. He's quite local to most guys on here I'm guessing.
I would always choose a ribeye if I had the choice. I personally think it is the best. I've heard it argued by those celebrity chef types that rump has the best flavour. Not sure I'd agree but then I rarely have rump.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:11 am

I disagree on the Rump/Ribeye point though. A good butcher will age his meats (the last time I was in a restaurant my butcher's meat used to lose 20% of weight through salt-chamber ageing). After that, we'd water bath the ribeye to soften the fat, before flash frying in butter. I can't think of better steak. He's quite local to most guys on here I'm guessing.
Well said that man.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Been meaning to ask you for a while, Chef. Chateaubriand is only ever offered in restaurants for two people to share. Why is that?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:46 pm

The internet disagrees with me, but it's wrong, again, so there I said it, but the Chateaubriand is classically the 'head' end of a whole fillet. Its an awkward piece to cut into steaks, but by weight is very large so suited to a meal for two. You could enjoy it on your own if you want though!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The internet disagrees with me, but it's wrong, again, so there I said it, but the Chateaubriand is classically the 'head' end of a whole fillet. Its an awkward piece to cut into steaks, but by weight is very large so suited to a meal for two. You could enjoy it on your own if you want though!
I can recall my first encounter with Chateaubriand. Was about 16 and in Yugoslavia. It was about 2 quid and the most expensive thing on the menu. Me and three mates ordered one each, without the foggiest notion what it might actually be. That confused the buggers. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The internet disagrees with me, but it's wrong, again, so there I said it, but the Chateaubriand is classically the 'head' end of a whole fillet. Its an awkward piece to cut into steaks, but by weight is very large so suited to a meal for two. You could enjoy it on your own if you want though!
I'm quite sure that I've never seen a Chateaubriand cut for sale in a butcher's shop. Is it available, do we know?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'm quite sure that I've never seen a Chateaubriand cut for sale in a butcher's shop. Is it available, do we know?
Bit of a slog, but they do it at Chappells in Swinton mate, think you might have to order in advance rather than just drop in...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bit of a slog, but they do it at Chappells in Swinton mate, think you might have to order in advance rather than just drop in...
Excellent butchers. Although an abiding memory of my time in Swinton is that Old Man Chappell was always setting out his shop when I was on my way to the airport/wherever at 4:30 and was never open when I wanted to buy some meat!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Excellent butchers. Although an abiding memory of my time in Swinton is that Old Man Chappell's was that he was always setting out his shop when I was on my way to the airport/wherever at 4:30 and was never open when I wanted to buy some meat!
My abiding memory of Old Man Chappell was the look he gave me when I knocked on his door as asked if his daughter was in....scary shit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Excellent butchers. Although an abiding memory of my time in Swinton is that Old Man Chappell's was that he was always setting out his shop when I was on my way to the airport/wherever at 4:30 and was never open when I wanted to buy some meat!
My abiding memory of Old Man Chappell was the look he gave me when I knocked on his door as asked if his daughter was in....scary shit.
:lol: I do hope you slipped in the gag about having a little meat of your own. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:53 pm

That was about all I managed to slip in, if memory serves. :-)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:33 pm

If you can be arsed and do some pre-planning, either phone or pop-in and pre-order. They'll sell you owt at most butchers, but cuts that don't sell daily in a shop will tend to go to trade, so they need a bit of advance notice that you want it.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 am

Lord Kangana wrote:If you can be arsed and do some pre-planning, either phone or pop-in and pre-order. They'll sell you owt at most butchers, but cuts that don't sell daily in a shop will tend to go to trade, so they need a bit of advance notice that you want it.

Better yet......http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland- ... 0g/p/63396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yay! :hang:

beforeiforget
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beforeiforget » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Feeling like some good old fashion fish n chips :) Recommendations?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:42 am

boltonboris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:We're booked Tattu in Spinningfields for a meal - anyone been? Is it any good?
No, but I can heartily recommend Iberica in Spinningfields. :)
#
EDIT: Just had a look - looks magnificent!
Tattu is ok. Lovely, lovely place (the blossom tree is spectacular) and food looks great, but it's just ok. More of an instagram your plate as opposed to enjoy your food kind of place.

For Tapas, there's a new king in town. El Grato Negro on King Street (South or North, can never remember) where all the suit places are. Great place to go for a drink aswell as indulge in the grub. Food is pricey though for Tapas, but it's top notch
Ok, so it went like this. It's 21:30 any chance of our table booked for 21:00 any time soon please?...Sit down around 22:00....Had some of wife's rellies over..."There's nothing we can eat on here"...Father in Law - I guess I could eat the ribeye....(son in law "I guess you need your eyes testing, it's £70" - although it was billed as wagyu - I'm yet to be convinced)..Eventually, I talked myself into a starter and main I could go for...by that time no one else wanted to eat there. We got a refund on our deposit and went over to Yang Sing instead.

Oh and it was bombed, looks bugger all like the photo's when it's wall to wall over booked, struggle to get a beer and there's about 120 decibels of sub-bass just generally chugging round the place.

Yang Sing was an absolute delight, as ever. :-)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:56 pm

We ate there a while ago when it wasn't rammed. Plenty of style over substance, like loads of those restaurants round there. So you missed nowt. (I might add that it's only for a quiet life that I ever frequent these places, if it were entirely up to me, as soon as I see random shit hanging from the ceiling, I do a U-turn. I'd like my money to be spent on food, drink and service, not a decorators wankathon).

Still can't beat the Tapas Triangle in Manc for me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:58 pm

Aye LK - wouldn't have been my pick particularly. Mrs Worthy's birthday...so it was she who suggested we abandon the idea and off to Yang Sing (which would have been my pick anyhoo...) :-)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Nandos has started delivering in my area...I have a large amount of chicken to get through :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Booked into The French for lunch on the 21st. If the nosebag's half as good as it was the last time I went then (a) I'll still be absolutely delighted with it, and (b) will still be several times better than that that was such a crushing disappointment at Manchester House.

Hopefully they've done a little more with the place too.