What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:GG If its 220c, then thats probably about as good as it gets for a domestic. And for as long as it takes. At least 18 minutes normally, and don't be tempted to open the door to look at them, this will destroy them.
Wouldn't dream of doing that... :oops:

How can you tell if they are done if you can't look at them?!
Clean the glass on the oven door once in a while? :conf:

:D How did you know?! :oops:

Well they turned out very nicely actually, perfectly edible, thought I might have over cooked them but reckon the timing was just right actually (though can't remember how long they had in there in the end...)

Am actually quite stunned that I didn't need to measure out certain amounts of ingredients to produce something so tasty!
And the photographic evidence is............... ? ;)
......is sent to you via text!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Back from London, leaving partner behind looking after aged parents, to find nowt much in, and really not wanting to do take away, so have made what has turned out to be really nice soup from ancient stuff lurking in fridge - leeks/carrots/onions/garlic. nice. bunged a good splash of tabasco in. So spicy, sweet, nourishing... lunch for the next two days! [Aldi Macon Villages helps...]

And, incidentally, for those of us not yet making Aldi wine merchant of choice, observer today places, amongst its top ten fizz for Xmas, Aldi's Cremant de Jura... that I've been recommending for about 6 months, on here and to mates... £6.99 fizz - v v gd... better than 9 out of ten cavas and all prosecco... and Ob says better than 'cheaper champagnes...'

Eloy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eloy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:53 am

I just had a handful of Brazil nuts.

Wait, that doesn't sound right...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 am

William the White wrote: And, incidentally, for those of us not yet making Aldi wine merchant of choice, observer today places, amongst its top ten fizz for Xmas, Aldi's Cremant de Jura... that I've been recommending for about 6 months, on here and to mates... £6.99 fizz - v v gd... better than 9 out of ten cavas and all prosecco... and Ob says better than 'cheaper champagnes...'
Cheers for the heads up on that, William. Will definitely give it a go.

When you're next in I absolutely implore you to pick up at least a bottle of this;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_r ... _18720.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£3.89 per bottle too. It really is delicious.

Aldi in Rammy is on my way home and is where I now buy pretty much all my wine from, along with cooked meats and smoked salmon.
May the bridges I burn light your way

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 am

Did I see a new wine shop opening up between Chaes and Tek Ming?

Competition for the fella in BX
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:48 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Did I see a new wine shop opening up between Chaes and Tek Ming?

Competition for the fella in BX
That used to be the dry cleaners? Dunno, Chief. Will have a look later and report back.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Signage was going up Saturday dinner
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Must've heard that some serious wine gets supped in the vicinity :)

By the way, Lidl near our office has a sign up saying that they're doing lobsters for £5.99 each, so I'll be bagging a couple of those on the way home.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:22 pm

See how heavy they are first Bruce.

If they feel suspiciously light, leave em, there'll be nothing in them worth eating.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:See how heavy they are first Bruce.

If they feel suspiciously light, leave em, there'll be nothing in them worth eating.
Lidl is ALWAYS full of old people picking up every peach with their cat-food infested hands - squeezing it and replacing it - the doing the same with the nectarines.. LK is at the fish counter with the lobsters!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:04 pm

thebish wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:See how heavy they are first Bruce.

Lidl is ALWAYS full of old people picking up every peach with their cat-food infested hands - squeezing it and replacing it - the doing the same with the nectarines.. LK is at the fish counter with the lobsters!
Good tip LK, I'll remember it.

However, unless Bruce disavows me, I'm not sure Lidl do a fish counter as in a guy with a white apron serving you fish from an iced tray.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Great tip, LK. Cheers.

Apparently they're frozen and weigh 375g. Is that a bit lightweight?

Not aware of there being any in-store, ruddy-of-cheek fishmonger types in Lidl. Don't know for sure though.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote: And, incidentally, for those of us not yet making Aldi wine merchant of choice, observer today places, amongst its top ten fizz for Xmas, Aldi's Cremant de Jura... that I've been recommending for about 6 months, on here and to mates... £6.99 fizz - v v gd... better than 9 out of ten cavas and all prosecco... and Ob says better than 'cheaper champagnes...'

When you're next in I absolutely implore you to pick up at least a bottle of this;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_r ... _18720.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aldi in Rammy is on my way home and is where I now buy pretty much all my wine from, along with cooked meats and smoked salmon.
I'll be sure to nip into Aldi before christmas for a bottle or two of the fizz and the red.

Speaking of Rammy, have you visited Walmsleys butchers on Bridge Street next door to the bank? Probably food you are trying to steer clear of at the moment :wink: but the pies are sensational. Large pork pies for just over £2 and steak and ale/kidney, chicken and mushroom for about £1 and jam packed to boot. Sod your Greenhalgh's etc when it has at least double the meat content and costs a damn sight less. Excellent bacon and sausages too. The meat looks pretty good, though oddly I haven't tried too much of that. No trip to Rammy is complete without a visit. Wish they opened when the farmers market is on. :( I don't work there honest!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

thanks william and bruce - i did start to think today about a bit of advance christmas drinks shopping - though I have plenty of unopened fizz - the red looks a really good buy!

cheers! :pissed:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 pm

thebish's awesome (and moist!) banana bread (to use up some rotting bananas out of the fruitbowl)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:49 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

thanks william and bruce - i did start to think today about a bit of advance christmas drinks shopping - though I have plenty of unopened fizz - the red looks a really good buy!

cheers! :pissed:
Well, Bruce, did the Aldi trip - there's one just down the road from the uni. Got two bottles of fave white standby - Macon villages at £4.99, bargain - and one of your South African, and looking forward to giving it a go. I was thinking with either a chilli or whore's pasta. It claims, on the label, to be 'full bodied', but at 13% abv I'm hoping, and expecting, it isn't. What do you reckon? Right food? Or other recco? .

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 pm

William the White wrote:
Well, Bruce, did the Aldi trip - there's one just down the road from the uni. Got two bottles of fave white standby - Macon villages at £4.99, bargain - and one of your South African, and looking forward to giving it a go. I was thinking with either a chilli or whore's pasta. It claims, on the label, to be 'full bodied', but at 13% abv I'm hoping, and expecting, it isn't. What do you reckon? Right food? Or other recco? .

I imagine it would work well with spicy dishes, but its real food match is pork belly with crispy crackling. :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:00 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:

I imagine it would work well with spicy dishes, but its real food match is pork belly with crispy crackling. :wink:

LOL - the veggie recommends dead pig with a thick skin...

Banana bread a fave way of disposing of the slow-rot bananas in our house also...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 pm

William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:

LOL - the veggie recommends dead pig with a thick skin...

Banana bread a fave way of disposing of the slow-rot bananas in our house also...

not my recco Will - the one in the description from Bruce's link!

I'd recommend pork belly with crispy crackling tagine....

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 pm

I'll be fashioning a banana loaf myself later on - made with a generous heap of dessicated coconut.