What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:56 pm
Is there anything better than cold new potatoes (boiled obviously) dipped in fresh mayonnaise! Yum.
Yes,(howls of abuse from some quarters possibly?) I just had a ham and corned beef salad with hot boiled new potatoes swimming around in Lurpak. Deeeeee licious.... :D Wife goes for mayonaise with salad, I prefer seafood sauce.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Is there anything better than cold new potatoes (boiled obviously) dipped in fresh mayonnaise! Yum.
Yes, almost anything. There are precious few things I find basically inedible. However, cold potatoes are very near the top of that list. See also - cold pizza.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Must be the Irish in me, but I just love boiled potatoes. Don't have to be new ones, Maris Piper or King Ed's are fine. If there were some left over cold from a meal I'd do the old-fashioned mashed version, mash them down flat with a fork, add a bit of milk and a nob of butter, touch of salt and pepper and away you go...
I also sometimes part boil a couple of decent sized spuds, slice em up into scallops and stick em in the chip pan, or frying pan. Couple of slices of bread and butter and....bliss... Easy pleased me..:D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:26 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Must be the Irish in me, but I just love boiled potatoes. Don't have to be new ones, Maris Piper or King Ed's are fine. If there were some left over cold from a meal I'd do the old-fashioned mashed version, mash them down flat with a fork, add a bit of milk and a nob of butter, touch of salt and pepper and away you go...
I also sometimes part boil a couple of decent sized spuds, slice em up into scallops and stick em in the chip pan, or frying pan. Couple of slices of bread and butter and....bliss... Easy pleased me..:D
Yep. I'm a spuds fan.
I especially like refried cold mash. I also love cold boiled spuds, sliced and then fried to a golden crisp.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Took the wife and son out to lunch yesterday at The Pine Tree up/off Plodder Lane. Run of the mill place and not impressed. Waited almost an hour after ordering (after waiting 10 minutes at the bar because there was no one behind it) and the food was very mediocre at best. Not recommended.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm
Took the wife and son out to lunch yesterday at The Pine Tree up/off Plodder Lane. Run of the mill place and not impressed. Waited almost an hour after ordering (after waiting 10 minutes at the bar because there was no one behind it) and the food was very mediocre at best. Not recommended.
Driven past that tango, sounds exactly as it looks. In a race to the bottom with the Toby Carvery next to it. The Red Lion is rubbish as well.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:20 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm
Driven past that tango, sounds exactly as it looks. In a race to the bottom with the Toby Carvery next to it. The Red Lion is rubbish as well.
Aye, L.E, but yet they're always packed out? This was a ,midweek lunch hour, yet the horde resembled a food bank queue. Weird.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:12 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
That the one that's still in the lead (despite some fierce competition) in the #toaman Worst Breakfast Ever competition? Grey eggs. How the feck does anyone fry an egg so that the white turns out grey? :conf:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Cordon Gray cooking? :wink:

I reckon all those establishments mentioned are on the way out. When the Steakhouses and Cavalier Inns first started up the food was decent and they were worth an occasional visit. Now they just shovel the food at you, (eventually) up the bar prices in the meantime while you wait and can't wait to get you through the door afterwards. Paying in advance eliminates much of the desire to wait for a second dose of the same splodge and, like most consumables these days, hands out for your money is the name of the game. Customer service/satisfaction are just words on the website adverts. There are better and cheaper meals in boxes in Iceland and the supermarkets.

"The chances of anything coming from Ma's are a million to one" he said...And still they come. :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:12 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
That the one that's still in the lead (despite some fierce competition) in the #toaman Worst Breakfast Ever competition? Grey eggs. How the feck does anyone fry an egg so that the white turns out grey? :conf:

The worst selection of 'food' that I have ever had the misfortune to witness. All whilst the guy responsible for pinging the microwave walked around in chef whites. :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:12 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

The worst selection of 'food' that I have ever had the misfortune to witness. All whilst the guy responsible for pinging the microwave walked around in chef whites. :roll:

And filthy ones at that!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:09 pm

I'll happy eat my bodyweight in shit buffet breakfast at these places, doesn't mean I think they're good. My girlfriend fails to understand this mentality.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:28 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:09 pm
I'll happy eat my bodyweight in shit buffet breakfast at these places, doesn't mean I think they're good. My girlfriend fails to understand this mentalist
:grin:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:28 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:09 pm
I'll happy eat my bodyweight in shit buffet breakfast at these places, doesn't mean I think they're good. My girlfriend fails to understand this mentalist
:grin:
I don't mind a truckers breakfast in a truckers cafe/stop; I've had many a one in the past. At least you know what to expect. I just don't like the same thing, not as well cooked, in a "restaurant" minus the baked beans and posing as a "mixed grill". :wink:

Apropos of nowt, there used to be a real cracking waggon stop at Cannock Chase years ago. All you could eat, a big mug of tea and a morning paper at really fair prices. Just thought I'd mention that. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Meeting my ex-boss for a pre Bill Bryson gig nosebag on Saturday. We're meeting and eating at Randall & Aubin in Mcr (as we're both chiefly fish eaters). Menu looks superb. Anyone been? Heard reviews from those who have?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:30 am

Accidentally ordered the wrong hipster beer and instead of my nice session 3.9% bought 24 of their 7.4% cousins. Polishing off the last two. I don't know how people drink this stuff. Tastes like paint stripper.

But I'm feeling punchy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:30 am
Accidentally ordered the wrong hipster beer and instead of my nice session 3.9% bought 24 of their 7.4% cousins. Polishing off the last two. I don't know how people drink this stuff. Tastes like paint stripper.

But I'm feeling punchy.
24 in one session is verging on impressive. They're meant to have taste. Something their 3.9% (which is where I usually pitch my tent) cousins sadly lack.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:07 am

Oh Christ no it's taken me about 3 months :lol:

I mean they certainly taste of "more", but it's not nice. They just taste to me like someone has clod a shot of vodka into a perfectly nice beer.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:04 am

That's the problem. Do 'em in one session, and after the first half dozen, you'll stop noticing!

The do all tend to taste a bit like that once you get up to 6.5ish...put them on the "finishers" shelf. :-)

Elvis Juice from brewdog is my current fave. At 6.5, it just misses most of the "got a vodka in it" taste...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Hipster beer is like hipster coffee. A load of wank and to be avoided.