What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:00 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:quick question - what the hell is sauteeing? ie, how do i saute some leeks?
Frying.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:02 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:quick question - what the hell is sauteeing? ie, how do i saute some leeks?
Fried in butter I would think.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:18 pm

thanks - so why dont they just call it frying?

Im also on the hunt for thee Perfect mash potato recipie - anyone any tips? i already have a ricer!

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:32 pm

I always do my mash in the traditional way - boil in salted water, drain and mash. I add butter before mashing, and then add a bit more once I've mashed, then stir it in using a wooden spoon. Makes the potatoes fluffier and tastes creamier. Trick is to mash in a plastic bowl rather than the pan, then stir quickly until the potato kind of moves round the bowl.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:32 pm

By no means perfect, but adding a little wholegrain mustard and spring onions makes for ace mash.
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:00 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:thanks - so why dont they just call it frying?

Im also on the hunt for thee Perfect mash potato recipie - anyone any tips? i already have a ricer!
1) Perfect Mash:-

Boil your potatoes in water with a handful of sugar and a good pinnch of salt in. Drain. Put back in pan on a low heat to dry. Then put through ricer, back into pan and season heavily with salt and white pepper. Meanwhile, in a seperate pan, but a large knob of butter, another handful of sugar and a cupful of cream. Bring to the boil, simmer for a minute, then combine with the mash on heat. Serve. Perfect Mash.

Secondly, sauteeing comes from a sauteuse pan, French, which is a large heavy higher-sided frying pan.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm having pigeon breast warm salad tonight. Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:14 pm

ratbert wrote:I'm having pigeon breast warm salad tonight. Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.
Because you have to run around in the city centre and catch one of the bastards first?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:00 pm

ratbert wrote:I'm having pigeon breast warm salad tonight. Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.
Are you Gregg Wallace from Masterchef, ratbert?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 pm

Turkey breast, with salad, red onions and a dash of red leicester cheese. Absolutely delicious, and rather healthy if anyone is that way inclined.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Because you have to run around in the city centre and catch one of the bastards first?
There are so many of the sods you don't have to run. You just stand on one!
Verbal wrote:]Are you Gregg Wallace from Masterchef, ratbert?
I have his belly. I do not look like a boiled egg with glasses however.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 am

Tonight I am cooking spaghetti with mussels in a tomato sauce with a hint of chilli!

Few shavings of parmesan on top. Lovely.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Tonight I am cooking spaghetti with mussels in a tomato sauce with a hint of chilli!

Nice. When I go for something like that I use just a simple sauce with a splash of white wine, olive oil, garlic, onion, basil, and fresh cherry tomatoes. Got to be careful with chillies on seafood for me as it's easy to overpower the delicate flavour.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 am

jimbo wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Tonight I am cooking spaghetti with mussels in a tomato sauce with a hint of chilli!

Nice. When I go for something like that I use just a simple sauce with a splash of white wine, olive oil, garlic, onion, basil, and fresh cherry tomatoes. Got to be careful with chillies on seafood for me as it's easy to overpower the delicate flavour.
Indeed tis roughly what I'm doing.

Though tinned chopped tomatoes rather than the fresh ones in this instance.

Just a very slight hint of chilli, not overpowering!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Indeed tis roughly what I'm doing.

Though tinned chopped tomatoes rather than the fresh ones in this instance.

Just a very slight hint of chilli, not overpowering!
It's my very favourite quick dinner. Not too expensive either which is always important as a student!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Half a big tin of Lidl lentil soup. Everyone mocks until they smell it, then they want some.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Currently micro chips with melted cheddar, mayo and tom sauce. Later some super noodles me thinks. Good ol' student life! To drink, cheap lemonade and orange squash.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:Currently micro chips with melted cheddar, mayo and tom sauce. Later some super noodles me thinks. Good ol' student life! To drink, cheap lemonade and orange squash.
I told you, bread, butter, cheese, raw onion, corned beef, fresh tomatoes can make a tasty feast without spending a fortune.
Onions are so versatile. Drop a bit of butter in the frying pan and fry them (tin of hot-dog sausages, bread and butter ), slice one up and drop it in a flat dish of vinegar for a couple of hours. Beats any pickles going and is tasty with everything (including a chip sandwich). Cheap and cheerful is the way. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Currently micro chips with melted cheddar, mayo and tom sauce. Later some super noodles me thinks. Good ol' student life! To drink, cheap lemonade and orange squash.
I told you, bread, butter, cheese, raw onion, corned beef, fresh tomatoes can make a tasty feast without spending a fortune.
Onions are so versatile. Drop a bit of butter in the frying pan and fry them (tin of hot-dog sausages, bread and butter ), slice one up and drop it in a flat dish of vinegar for a couple of hours. Beats any pickles going and is tasty with everything (including a chip sandwich). Cheap and cheerful is the way. :wink:
Cheers for the advice TD, but if you can find corned beef over here you are an absolute hero :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Cheers for the advice TD, but if you can find corned beef over here you are an absolute hero :D
But the agents always tell their players that France is nearer to Argentina than England? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?