Job Hints

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Job Hints

Post by Raven » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:58 pm

Just been put on risk of redundancy and sure this time it will be me, not after sympathy or free cash (although that will do...lol) any idea how to be a must have recruit :)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:01 pm

It would probably depend on your line of work, skills, experience, educational level and ambition. I would suspect more detail is needed.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Get your CV sorted. Two sides of A4, career history at the top, big up your achievements in each job.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:32 pm

in this market, take everything you are offered!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Make sure you learn alot about the company you apply for. I was interviewing* candidates to fill my post for next year and asked this question:

'Do you know how many MPs there are at the minute?'

answer:

'About 100?'

Learn it inside out, and try to make sure your skills are what they are looking for.

*observed the interviews, but was able to talk to candidates.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:21 pm

ratbert wrote:Get your CV sorted. Two sides of A4, career history at the top, big up your achievements in each job.
A well-written cv and cover letter should definitely get you an interview, while a poorly written one definately won't.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
ratbert wrote:Get your CV sorted. Two sides of A4, career history at the top, big up your achievements in each job.
A well-written cv and cover letter should definitely get you an interview, while a poorly written one definately won't.
:mrgreen:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Ee, Monty, tha's not arf a card. :wall:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Really, Monty ?!?

Is Canada THAT well off ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Really, Monty ?!?

spot the tongue in cheek deliberate witty mistake? :wink:

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 am

Have a basic framework for a CV, but tweak it for each application to suit each company's requirements.
Know about the company - even little details like the executive board, current share price, recent new stories might help - any interviewer will ask what you know about them.
Don't be scared of talking about negative things/weaknesses (at interview stage only), but always try to turn them into something positive.
'Far away, there in the sunshine are my aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead.' (Louisa May Alcott)

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Job Hints

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:35 am

Raven wrote:Just been put on risk of redundancy and sure this time it will be me, not after sympathy or free cash (although that will do...lol) any idea how to be a must have recruit :)
Get yourself with a relevant recruitment agency you can trust to find you the right job, rather than ones that will just try and palm you off for an interview with any old T,D and H. If they've any regard for you, they'll look at your C and advise you on which part to big up. And, if they do suggest a job that's not suitable, tell them. Then, if they do find you something you like, work alongside the agency to prepare yourself properly. They''ve a lot of commission at stake placing you, so it's worth their while to help you out.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:31 pm

William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Really, Monty ?!?

spot the tongue in cheek deliberate witty mistake? :wink:
Some spot it, some don't. :wink: