The Masters 2009

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

The Masters 2009

Post by jimbo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Well folks, the time is here for the first, and my favourite, major of the year. Interesting one this time round with Tiger back to winning ways and can Padraig continue his major streak into this season? Not sure where to place my money on this one yet.

Thoughts guys?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Way too tough to call I'd say, Jimbo. If I'm having a flutter it'll be each way only.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Golf ain't the worst sport to gamble on. I tend to wait until the last day and you can still get some decent e/w prices on people just outside the top, and it's a narrowed field. 8)

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:18 pm

It looks tailor-made for Tiger... I'd love to see him mano-a-mano with the other form player, Mickleson, on the Sunday though.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Ogilvy is playing well too.

My feeling is that it is a big ask for Tiger... he won last weekend, but it wasn't a world-class field. I don't think his short game in terms of chipping, bunker shots etc is fully match-sharp yet either, which is crucial at Augusta. I'd love him to prove me wrong though.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:24 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:My feeling is that it is a big ask for Tiger...
Foolish words, friend. He has something to prove. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Over many years golf betting has been kind to me (at least back to 1974) - and as someone said, each way betting can do well.

Augusta is rarely a place for newcomers

I will have a small each way wager on Lee Westwood at longish odds.

His long game is as good as anyones - and that will be needed.

I fear he may miss too many 10 footers to win the top prize - but 50/1 each way is OK by me

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:29 pm

I'm on the edge of my seat with this one... :wink:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:01 am

Casey grabbed his first US win yesterday just at the right time. Don't get many back-to-back winners these days, though.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:27 am

Mccilroy at something like 33/1...worth an each way punt I'd say.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:45 am

Well, I think if Goosen can putt like he did to win the Transitions in Florida a couple of weeks ago he'll have a chance. I also fancy Zach Johnson again because he's been playing really well. Tiger and Mickelson should both be there or thereabouts as well. It'd be nice to see them have a proper ding-dong on the Sunday.
From the European point of view, Casey's won so he should be feeling good and he did well for three rounds last year before capitulating. I'd like Ross Fisher to do well, he's a nice man. It'd be tough for him though given that it's his first Masters - but you never know!

I just hope Sunday isn't a precession like it was last year, with Immelman shooting 3 or 4 over and still winning by 3.
I'm excited! But I'm not putting a bet on.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Well, I think if Goosen can putt like he did to win the Transitions in Florida a couple of weeks ago he'll have a chance. I also fancy Zach Johnson again because he's been playing really well. Tiger and Mickelson should both be there or thereabouts as well. It'd be nice to see them have a proper ding-dong on the Sunday.
From the European point of view, Casey's won so he should be feeling good and he did well for three rounds last year before capitulating. I'd like Ross Fisher to do well, he's a nice man. It'd be tough for him though given that it's his first Masters - but you never know!

I just hope Sunday isn't a precession like it was last year, with Immelman shooting 3 or 4 over and still winning by 3.
I'm excited! But I'm not putting a bet on.
He won it last time it was on Easter Sunday didn't he? He's even more religious than your average American as well so his speech was pure religious emotion. Fate he should do it again?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Jiminez will win a big one before he's finished.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Jiminez will win a big one before he's finished.
Just because he is old and likes to smoke is not a valid reason for such a prediction, my Hispanophile friend. :mrgreen:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Jiminez will win a big one before he's finished.
Just because he is old and likes to smoke is not a valid reason for such a prediction, my Hispanophile friend. :mrgreen:
Ah, rumbled. :oops: (still think he can do it though) :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:03 pm

I'd love Jimenez to win a major. The guy's a cool dude. But age 'aint on his side... this year offers his last best chance I think.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Lot of time for Jimenez - a stylish gent, an amazingly flexible physical specimen, and a good guy with plenty of time for the fans who make the game what it is.

Don't fancy him for a major win now though, unfortunately.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 pm

If you have the BBC red button option, the pre-tournament par 3 competition is on from 10pm-midnight tonight.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Is there a preview show on tonight? I've always liked them.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Yes - at 12.15am!!!