Poker.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

markakamark
Hopeful
Hopeful

Poker.

Post by markakamark » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:37 pm

I hadn't seen a poker thread on here before, and seeing as it's such a popular thing nowadays, why not start one?

Who of you plays? If so, where? Which online sites? Just home games?

The thing that made me start this up is that I've just had two awesome poker related days!

Yesterday I organised a home game, 8 people, £10 buy in with rebuys addons etc for the first 75mins. I ended up winning and pocketing £110.

Then today, woke up at 11.45, turned on my laptop to start uni work, logged onto poker stars, joined a $1 multitable tourney with 2097 entrants. I have just got knocked out in 7th place after battling through to the final table for 7 hours! I ended up only wining $70, but the achievement of coming 7th out of 2097 is still pretty impressive for myself. AND, I got 7 hours of uni work done at the same time :D I think i've got a new routine!

On a side note, someone who I used to live with at uni quit half way through his first year to play poker. He's never had a job and has just bought a nice little apartment in London. He's jetting off to Vegas for 5 weeks soon to play in the WSOP. Flippin' crazy!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 pm

I play at home. Nothing serious, but I love watching the WSOp every year. Just a novice really. I played in a free tournament at a bar and made the final table. Went all in on pocket Kings and the guy next to me had pocket Aces.

Oh well, lol.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:49 pm

americantrotter wrote:I play at home. Nothing serious, but I love watching the WSOp every year. Just a novice really. I played in a free tournament at a bar and made the final table. Went all in on pocket Kings and the guy next to me had pocket Aces.

Oh well, lol.
This appears to be in English buit hard to comprehend. I thought if you had cards in your pocket or up your sleeve you got shot.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 pm

I play, but haven't done so in a good few months. Really love it though. I used to play on fulltilt but again, haven't in ages, since then been playing live games a lot. A few home games, won about 50 quid over christmas. Lovely stuff.

God I want to play now :( there is a Rileys less than a mile away which I have been meaning to attend/rinse.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
americantrotter wrote:I play at home. Nothing serious, but I love watching the WSOp every year. Just a novice really. I played in a free tournament at a bar and made the final table. Went all in on pocket Kings and the guy next to me had pocket Aces.

Oh well, lol.
This appears to be in English buit hard to comprehend. I thought if you had cards in your pocket or up your sleeve you got shot.
I saw KK v KK v AA in the WSOP once.

However, this is the coldest deck in history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW7ojjIlvno

actually, maybe it's this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypz9Se3 ... re=related

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 pm

What's everyones' favourite players btw? Must say I'm a Negreanu man myself :)

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:32 am

I play a fair bit as well. Nothing serious, but 8 player 10 quid buy ins we have quite regularly. Love it.

As for favourite players, Negreanu is up there, but I'm also a big Ivy and Hansen fan. Gotta love Hellmuths tantrums aswell.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:32 am

Pocket means that it's your own 2 cards that are dealt in Texas hold'em Monty. The other parts of your hand are the community cards. The draw (1st 3) The Turn (4th) and the River (5th and last) You make the best hand out of your cards (pocket) and the community cards. (still a 5 card hand of whatever is the best combo)

markakamark
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by markakamark » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:36 am

My favourite player is Negreanu too. He's made some goooood calls, and he just makes it more entertaining to watch.

I used to Devilfish, but i get sick of his moaning!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:23 am

Weren't there a few posters in the past that were serious players. I'm sure one poster said he made a living off it for awhile.

Having said that I know hope that poster wasn't Mitch Caine.

markakamark
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by markakamark » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:02 pm

I've changed my mind on my favourite player. It's now Tom Dwan.

He makes some ridiculous plays, just been watchin 5th season of High Stakes Poker, on one hand he bluffed his way past pocket A's and trip deuces!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:03 pm

I don't play anymore, I wasn't particularly good anyway but I went out on a high in what can only be described as a heads up deathmatch, withdrew and deleted the software.

Just does your head in doesn't it. Prefer playing something like chess where if you get beat it's easier to accept than poker where you can end up sitting crying about bad luck & percentages and does you no good.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:17 am

I've played for about 3 years on-line. I've read 7 or 8 books and am in profit on every site ive played. My biggest wins are for about $1500 on 3 seperate occasions, but my bred and butter is one table Sit n Go's, i believe i could do it professionally but who wants to sit in front of a comp for 40 hours a week.

My favourite player is Gus Hansen.

Here's one of the best hands ever played:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-Qy4luqNo

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:23 am

freeindeed wrote:I've played for about 3 years on-line. I've read 7 or 8 books and am in profit on every site ive played. My biggest wins are for about $1500 on 3 seperate occasions, but my bred and butter is one table Sit n Go's, i believe i could do it professionally but who wants to sit in front of a comp for 40 hours a week.

My favourite player is Gus Hansen.

Here's one of the best hands ever played:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-Qy4luqNo
Seeen that vid so many times :) impossible position for Negreanu, great check by Gus though near the end,.

This my friend, is sick. WHAT A LAY DOWN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf54WH7T ... re=related

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:40 am

Yeah thx for that, i saw it when it was on'telly but totally forgot about it. How the fcuk do you lay that hand down? Especially after it had been checked by everyone to the river...cos it makes his Jacks full completely hidden. The guy coulda had loads of hands. I guess he had a 'read' based on his table talk, or else his granny was a Welsh fortune teller!

Harrington says in his books on holdem that you never lay down trips due to a fear of 'over-trips'. He has heard many people boast about how thru a convoluted chain of logic they 'knew' they were behind and folded, and Harrington just thought to himself 'what an idiot'. The reason being that the majority of times you think you have made an amazing read and lay down your trips, your hand will still be ahead.
With this in mind that laydown was phenomenal.

markakamark
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by markakamark » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:32 am

I've only read 2 books on poker so far, both Dan Harrington's. I think he has a third somewhere?

They both helped loads, and should give you a slight insight to the kind of player i am!

If anyone fancys a cheeky $5/$10 heads online just give us a shout. I only use poker stars now though.

BurkinoFaso
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BurkinoFaso » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:18 pm

if we can get a few people on pokerstars we could have a big game of The-Wanderer poker!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:57 pm

As a slight aside, many boozers used to run four or five tables in the late 70's and early 80's playing Don, Nap (oleon) and Crib/Cribbage. This was when they used to have decent Vaults (or at least had a Vault). As drinking was generally limited to opening times (other than lock-ins and AT's), the "sessions" were limited to opening times. Poker didn't feature much as a) it's an largely American invention in it's current format and b) the "rules" surrounding a game of poker generally meant the person who came in with the largest bank account invariably went out with it somewhat higher in value "Can't pay to see a blind man" was one such connivance.

Got to say as a card game, it doesn't do much for me. For a start, you don't actually play cards in it - a bit like pontoon, you just wager on the cards you have against what someone else might have. Give me Don, Crib or Bridge (or just about any card game that needs skill to actually play cards)... :-)

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:23 pm

There's a hell of a lot of skill involved in poker IMO, knowing when to lay down a hand, what size bets to make, when to just check, call, raise or even check raise, setting traps, slowplaying. And don't forget about the art of bluffing.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:40 pm

BurkinoFaso wrote:if we can get a few people on pokerstars we could have a big game of The-Wanderer poker!
Well up for that, when I set an account up :D probably in the summer.

Maby even organise a few home games?