Britain's Got Talent

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Verbal wrote: But she has talent, no?

And I'm not surprised she doesn't have a voice as good as professional opera singers, the words 'professional' and 'singers' sticking in the mind. People who can devote time and resources to singing will no doubt have an amazing voice. T

As long as she has talent, her voice can be coached and she can improve loadz. It's unlikely you're going to find a fine-cut diamond in the rough, you have to cut it and shape it.
I rarely shoot over 80 when I play golf these days, and some would say that means I have talent. I wasn't teeing it up at Augusta at the weekend though.

She's a good singer, but not an exceptional talent. She's unemployed and says she has devoted considerable time to her singing. By the same token, I could have all the training and time to devote to it in the world, and I'd still be crap at singing.

My idea is that if a prettyish girl of about 30 years old had stood on that stage and given that performance, having been trying to make it as a singer for ten years since leaving stage school, then people would have said "Well, nice enough voice, but you can probably see why she hasn't made it".

If the fact that she is so unremarkable in terms of looks, background and lack of training makes Boyle's talent into an act, so be it.

But not for me, thanks.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Well, it's each unto his own obviously, but, for what it's worth in the talent stakes (taken from Skynews) :

The church worker, from Blackburn, West Lothian, is now an internet hit with her performance netting over five million hits on YouTube. She has only made it through the first audition and is already being compared to previous Britain's Got Talent winner, opera star Paul Potts.

Susan, who confessed on the show she has "never been kissed", is now said to have been approached for interviews and performances as far away as the US and Australia.

Simon Cowell is reportedly already lining up a record deal for her, and she has helped boost the song's popularity.

Cast recordings of the track from Les Mis have entered the official midweek singles chart and the iTunes chart.

Susan is already the bookmakers favourite to win the talent show, with odds of 5/2.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Verbal wrote: But she has talent, no?

And I'm not surprised she doesn't have a voice as good as professional opera singers, the words 'professional' and 'singers' sticking in the mind. People who can devote time and resources to singing will no doubt have an amazing voice. T

As long as she has talent, her voice can be coached and she can improve loadz. It's unlikely you're going to find a fine-cut diamond in the rough, you have to cut it and shape it.
I rarely shoot over 80 when I play golf these days, and some would say that means I have talent. I wasn't teeing it up at Augusta at the weekend though.

She's a good singer, but not an exceptional talent. She's unemployed and says she has devoted considerable time to her singing. By the same token, I could have all the training and time to devote to it in the world, and I'd still be crap at singing.

My idea is that if a prettyish girl of about 30 years old had stood on that stage and given that performance, having been trying to make it as a singer for ten years since leaving stage school, then people would have said "Well, nice enough voice, but you can probably see why she hasn't made it".

If the fact that she is so unremarkable in terms of looks, background and lack of training makes Boyle's talent into an act, so be it.

But not for me, thanks.
I read somewhere she hadn't sung since her mother died two years ago and she devoted much of her time to looking after her mother before she died. The contrast is exactly why it's so exceptional.

As an amatuer she has talent. Everything about her says she shouldn't possess that voice.

Those weren't tears in Cowell's eyes by the way, they were pound signs.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Not sure what that proves about talent, but good luck to her.

One of the curious consequences of living in a world where there is a lot of artificiality and style over substance, is that there is some demand for the occasional Cinderella story which kicks back the other way.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 pm

hopefully susan boyle will break down under the media.

i cant stand her.

COME ON STARVOS FLATLEY!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 29, 2009 12:01 am

eddybwfc wrote:hopefully susan boyle will break down under the media.
i cant stand her.
COME ON STARVOS FLATLEY!
The queen shall be informed post haste. :wink:

As for Stavros, hilarious, but not talent except in the one-off comedy act genre. I thoroughly enjoyed them but that's it as far as telent goes. Susan Boyle has a voice that will record and sell albums. The grandfather and grandaughter act tonight was sentiment, again not great talent. The Jungle Book kid that didn't get through was a dazzling talent. The saxophonist (if he knows more than two tunes) may record albums but won't set the world on fire. The street dancers are much a one trick pony in that you wouldn't go to see them twice and there are too many like acts. They're dance acts that are mainly acrobatic with no real dancers amongst them. All the rest are makeweight. Personally, I can't see beyond Susan Boyle as a winner. She and Mowgli plus the teenage lad from Wales are probably the only ones Simon Cowell would sign up to make money. Cowell is the total professional, harsh at times but brutally honest.

Just my view. :wink:

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Fri May 29, 2009 12:07 am

I think people are being very harsh on SuBo :)

She is a good singer who has brought the music of Les Mis to oiks such as myself, and surely that's a good thing.
Was right all along

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
i cant stand her.
COME ON STARVOS FLATLEY!

As for Stavros, hilarious, but not talent except in the one-off comedy act genre. I thoroughly enjoyed them but that's it as far as telent goes. Susan Boyle has a voice that will record and sell albums. The grandfather and grandaughter act tonight was sentiment, again not great talent. The Jungle Book kid that didn't get through was a dazzling talent. The saxophonist (if he knows more than two tunes) may record albums but won't set the world on fire. The street dancers are much a one trick pony in that you wouldn't go to see them twice and there are too many like acts. They're dance acts that are mainly acrobatic with no real dancers amongst them. All the rest are makeweight. Personally, I can't see beyond Susan Boyle as a winner. She and Mowgli plus the teenage lad from Wales are probably the only ones Simon Cowell would sign up to make money. Cowell is the total professional, harsh at times but brutally honest.

You are kidding right?

As for Boyle, I turn over the channel whenever I see the woman. Her personality could make a monk break his vow of silence, just to scream at her.

Susan Boyle

Diversity

Flawless

I know which two of those three I'd pay money to watch!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 29, 2009 10:50 am

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
i cant stand her.
COME ON STARVOS FLATLEY!

You are kidding right?

As for Boyle, I turn over the channel whenever I see the woman. Her personality could make a monk break his vow of silence, just to scream at her.

Susan Boyle

Diversity

Flawless

I know which two of those three I'd pay money to watch!
Nope, not kidding at all mate. How many times could you watch them? (I'm the world's greatest dance fan and I think both groups are very good at what they do, but the scope of that is very limited. At best they'll be support acts in any show. Susan Boyle goes back to the days when all you needed to sing was a voice, not psychadelic lights, ticker-tape, eighteen pole-dancers, the need to look like Bo Derek or even be seen at all rather than heard. That's my idea of talent. Boyle is no model, but then agai, can Kate Moss sing?

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Fri May 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Susan Boyle.....very good voice, but not outstanding. If she was good looking, the fuss wouldn't be being made! She does miss quite a few notes and she has the personality and mental capacity of a nice person!

Diversity to win!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Anyone else get the impression Susan Boyle has started to believe her own hype? She has literally turned from a nervous, weird woman from north of the border, to a confident, brash and loud mouthed bint overnight. For what it's worth I agree with Mummy.. If she was 25 and good looking, she wouldn't held in as much esteem

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri May 29, 2009 2:36 pm

you say talent

i say RETARD

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri May 29, 2009 2:38 pm

MJH-12 wrote:Susan Boyle.....very good voice, but not outstanding. If she was good looking, the fuss wouldn't be being made! She does miss quite a few notes and she has the personality and mental capacity of a tw*t!

Diversity to win!
yeah, she's a fooking dick.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri May 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Showed tonight why it's not always a good idea to put kids on live national television...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Athers wrote:Showed tonight why it's not always a good idea to put kids on live national television...
Aye, but she got through and it's going to be all the harder tomorrow. She kept a unique act out in the weird guy doing Monsarrat Caballo. A case of "Britain's got sympathy". Doubt if any of tonight's lot will win it though. My money's still on the Doctor Finlay's Casebook housekeeper. :wink:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Athers wrote:Showed tonight why it's not always a good idea to put kids on live national television...
I knew as soon as she bottled it that they would put her through.

It's Casey Lee Jolley all over again!
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat May 30, 2009 8:14 am

sympathy seeking big headed whinging little brat.
Last edited by General Mannerheim on Sat May 30, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat May 30, 2009 8:18 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
sympathy seeking big headed whinging little tw*t.
Yeah, how dare she only be 10 years old and know no better!

I too disagree with what happened, but there's at lot of other people to blame for it, before calling a 10 year old a 'twxt', purely for being a 10 year old!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 am

oops. it was meant in jest - i just think the whole show is bullshit.

i said that to my missus last night , just playfully for a reaction because she was crying watching holly crying

I guess i should not take it so seriously, it is entertainment and i do watch it - just things like that bug me.

i mean, who decides which acts appear in which semi final? each one has one or two standout acts plus a load of shite!?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat May 30, 2009 11:27 am

boltonboris wrote:Anyone else get the impression Susan Boyle has started to believe her own hype? She has literally turned from a nervous, weird woman from north of the border, to a confident, brash and loud mouthed bint overnight. For what it's worth I agree with Mummy.. If she was 25 and good looking, she wouldn't held in as much esteem
...and some. I suspect she's always had attitude just never the opportunity to float it.

She hasn't reached that age, in that area, without some "strength".

I think the great British public will spring a surprise tonight. She'll then go off the rails & the rest of her lefe will be ruined. With all her dreams gone she'll decend to achohol and heroin abuse and homelessness ... worst of all, she will re-grow those eyebrows !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".