Where are you

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Where are you

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:30 am

And more importantly, why?

Never lived more than about 10 miles from my birthplace, and probably never will

Obviously, theres Bowton folk on here posting from the colonies, but what made you up sticks

And come on, not just those abroad

I'm intrigued, as when I had opportunities, I'd never take 'em cos 'I'd miss the football too much'

Sad, I know

Regrets, I've had a few
Sto ut Serviam

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Where are you

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:42 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:And more importantly, why?

Never lived more than about 10 miles from my birthplace, and probably never will

Obviously, theres Bowton folk on here posting from the colonies, but what made you up sticks

I'm intrigued, as when I had opportunities, I'd never take 'em cos 'I'd miss the football too much'

Sad, I know

Regrets, I've had a few
I've lived away from Bolton for twenty years now, but the family are still there.

Moved to the smoke because I was in a relationship with someone living down here (still am)

I won't move back, but I never stop spreading the message of my pride in the team and all things Bolton.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 am

first moved away from Bolton because my parents moved to Burnley in my late teens... (yeah - I know!)

then - moved all around country because of the nature of my job moving me on every 7 to 10 years...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:43 am

Parents moved me to Morecambe when I were but a nipper, and other than the grandparents/family have never had any other ties with the place.

Decided that there far more opportunities for me elsewhere, took the chance on Uni in Newcastle and offered the job in Leeds. Happily shacked up here, it is but an hour away from home games, and located well enough for the odd away trip so football hasn't come into it. My match day 'experience' is different though, in that it doesn't involve beers with the lads very often (cept when I can convince a mate or two to come and watch us) more like listening to same story for the third time that day from the old folks, then bus to the ground and home again! I'm happy here, up north, and don't envisage myself moving any further away from the football (though I would be tempted to go to Necastle again, but its pull is waning as people I know there move away).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:49 am

Like Caps, I've never been far away from base. Born and lived on Halliwell till I was nineteen, then moved to Todmorden for a couple of years. Came back to Halliwell, then Church Road, Westhoughton (ten years) and finally Farnworth where I've been for the last thirty years. Might be all in the mind, but there's no place like Bolton.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:01 am

I took the decision some time ago that I wouldn't move for work (without kicking and screaming) as it nearly always involves "down South"/abroad in my line of business - unless something really special came up. As a result, I've been nominally located in Farnborough and London for about 3 years each over the last 10 years or so, but without actually relocating there. Plenty of other times where I'm located at other points around the compass including Europe and the States for weeks or months at a time, but never needed to change my home location yet, which is in Worsley not far from where I was bought up in Swinton.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:18 am

Lived away from Bolton for 10 years. Still went to every game but eventually moved back to Bolton as it was a real shitter driving 4 hours round trip every game!

Like Caps pretty sad reason but I like the North West and I like the position Bolton is in!

Have lived in "nicer" places and enjoyed them but end of the day I think your home town is always special!

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 am

Graduated from York, no jobs in Bolton or Bury so used a friends' Dad who is a headteacher to get a job up in Northallerton.

Beautiful place, really nice, but it's not quite home.
Was right all along

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:26 am

Was moved from Ainsworth to Halifax aged 4 by parents (both from Halifax). Me Dad moved to Blackrod a few years later, went at weekends and went to the games. Been all over the shop since then with uni then work. Now near Huddersfield. Never really considered myself a Boltoner as I was mostly brought up over 'ere.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 am

Moved to Birmingham in 1996 due to the job situation at the time leaving me with something of a Hobson's Choice. Hadn't planned on stopping long before a move back north, but circumstances since have dictated otherwise, and anyway the West Midlands isn't as bad as people might think (really) and Bolton's only a couple of hours up the M6; absence makes the nose grow longer, etc.

I would be back north if I had the choice though. The wife'll come round to the idea eventually...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Where are you

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:24 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:And more importantly, why?

Sad, I know

Regrets, I've had a few
Nice words in your sig Caps. I looked up the rest of the first verse just from interest. Gaudeamus Igitur and all that.
(Although Bolton Tech made do with Jerusalem) :wink:

Forty years on when afar and asunder
Parted are those who are singing today
When you look back and forgetfully wonder
What you were like in your work and your play.
Then it may be there will often come o'er you
Glimpses of notes like catch of a song,
Visions of boyhood shall float then before you,
Echoes of dreamland shall bear them along.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 am

Lived in Farnworth until I was 18. Moved to Bath for university for two years, before moving to London (this academic year) to do my placement. I did 10 months in West Kensington, which is far too expensive, up its own sphincter and generally less friendly. Moved to Mile End in Tower Hamlets at the weekend, and already everyone seems much friendlier and easy going. It's also 2/3s of what I was paying before :). In September I go back to Bath to complete my final year at university.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:45 am

Verbal wrote:Lived in Farnworth until I was 18. Moved to Bath for university for two years, before moving to London (this academic year) to do my placement. I did 10 months in West Kensington, which is far too expensive, up its own sphincter and generally less friendly. Moved to Mile End in Tower Hamlets at the weekend, and already everyone seems much friendlier and easy going. It's also 2/3s of what I was paying before :). In September I go back to Bath to complete my final year at university.
Its a bit of a dump that place. Mate of mine lived lived there for a few years.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am

I was brought up in Lytham and lived there until I came to Liverpool for uni 2 years ago. At the moment I'm in Wavertree but am moving next week to Kensington to be nearer town, albeit with the added risk of being stabbed.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:50 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Verbal wrote:Lived in Farnworth until I was 18. Moved to Bath for university for two years, before moving to London (this academic year) to do my placement. I did 10 months in West Kensington, which is far too expensive, up its own sphincter and generally less friendly. Moved to Mile End in Tower Hamlets at the weekend, and already everyone seems much friendlier and easy going. It's also 2/3s of what I was paying before :). In September I go back to Bath to complete my final year at university.
Its a bit of a dump that place. Mate of mine lived lived there for a few years.
Im pretty close to Victoria Park so it's alright, and I live next to the pub The Palm Tree on the canalside which is awesome :) better than West feckin Kensington anyroad. Now that is a tip.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 am

Never lived in Bolton - support through family connections.
Five years in Hampshire, three in New Jersey, then in Wiltshire for ten.
Four years at Exeter Uni, now working in Exeter.
Long way from Bolton, but am doing the job I wanted since I was ten.
'Far away, there in the sunshine are my aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead.' (Louisa May Alcott)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 am

My job takes me everybloodywhere, so in no particular order I've lived for three years in Bradford, just shy of five in London, a year in The Lakes, and finally find myself back in Bolton(though might not return for weeks at a a time). Hence my location, which is meant to translate to "Wandering, we never stray". It probably doesn't, but I hated Latin.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:39 am

I lived in Mile End for a year when I did my placement year in the real world as part of my degree down there., can't say I have as glowing a reference for it as you Verbal! Good for public transport though, District & Central lines plus the 25 (and nightbus).

Apart from that year I've lived four years in Newcastle and about 9 months in Manchester, where I think I'll stay for the near future. So much pressure to move to London/Leeds with my work though. If I moved to London I'd get no salary increase so my standard of living would go down and the football comes into it as well. I'd not do the 400 mile round trip 19 times a season for sure and there's only 5 south east teams now for convenient aways.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:41 am

I think I'm just easily pleased :D

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 am

I've never lived in Bolton - I'm a glory hunter from a far-flung, exotic land (Walkden).

Faffed around for a while, living at various times in Liverpool, Bristol, Leeds and Boston (only one letter different, although in a different continent).

Now happily settled in London. I moved down because the streets are paved with gold. It makes them a touch slippy at times, particularly in icy conditions, but they're very shiny.

Missing the football isn't an issue. There are trains. And a group of us who are stupid enough to think that getting one up every other week is a good idea.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"