Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 am
BBC News. Big Ben: You will want to put your sound on for this.
Big Ben’s last bongs before falling silent until renovations are complete in 2021. It will still sound on important occasions.

No I won't, its just a 4ucking clock. Why so much fuss? :conf:
Actually Big Ben is a bell in a clock tower.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:12 pm

I mean mine was a joke. But anyhow, I'd gladly get rid of the queen and the rest of the hangers on. Waste of tax payers money. They irritate me greatly. Think what we could do with all that money and land.
Whilst sharing your views on land and hangers-on, the Queen probably indirectly contributes more to the inland revenue via tourism then a lot of our industries do in taxes.
Quite possibly. One question that nobody can ever answer though is, folk come here to see Buckingham Palace etc etc. If we scrapped the monarchy tomorrow, would tourists suddenly not want to see it?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Big Ben’s last bongs before falling silent until renovations are complete in 2021. It will still sound on important occasions.

I know that but couldn't be arsed with the pedantry. It actually lies within the tower of St. Stephen :P
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I know that but couldn't be arsed with the pedantry. It actually lies within the tower of St. Stephen :P
Didn't they rename it after her Maj. After all, there isn't much named after her already :roll:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I mean mine was a joke. But anyhow, I'd gladly get rid of the queen and the rest of the hangers on. Waste of tax payers money. They irritate me greatly. Think what we could do with all that money and land.
Whilst sharing your views on land and hangers-on, the Queen probably indirectly contributes more to the inland revenue via tourism then a lot of our industries do in taxes.
Quite possibly. One question that nobody can ever answer though is, folk come here to see Buckingham Palace etc etc. If we scrapped the monarchy tomorrow, would tourists suddenly not want to see it?
If we scrapped the monarchy we'd probably scrap an awful lot that goes with it that tourists to London come to see: The Queen herself,Trooping the colour, Royal carriages on the road, the need for any Horse Guards, Coldstream Guards, Blues and Royals, Royal Horse artillery etc,etc and all the other things associated with royalty,even the Royal Mayor, to be in London at all. Can't imagine many Japanese tourist coming to see Teresa May or Boris riding in on a bike, or all the rest of the dignitaries we could offer. Her majesty has a charisma that may well end with her reign, although considering how many folk turn out in the rain to see a new sprog of any of the "Royals", that may not be the case. "God Save the Queen" (that subjunctive by the way, just in case Pru is reading) :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Two of the questions that I'm yet to hear answered satisfactorily are;

How much electricity is produced by a wind turbine? And, how much tourist revenue is created by the Royal Family?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Didn't they rename it after her Maj. After all, there isn't much named after her already :roll:
It seems they did AT before which it was the Clock Tower. However, in support of Bruce's contention I read:
Journalists during Queen Victoria's reign called it St Stephen's Tower. As MPs originally sat at St Stephen's Hall, these journalists referred to anything related to the House of Commons as news from "St. Stephens" (the Palace of Westminster contains a feature called St Stephen's Tower, a smaller tower over the public entrance). The usage persists in Welsh, where the Westminster district, and Parliament by extension, is known as San Steffan.
Personally I blame the Daily Mail.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Well there's a challenge...

The output of a wind turbine depends on the turbine's size and the wind's speed through the rotor. An average onshore wind turbine with a capacity of 2.5–3 MW can produce more than 6 million kWh in a year – enough to supply 1,500 average EU households with electricity

The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to 500 million pounds, or about $767 million, every year in tourism revenue, drawing visitors to historic royal sites like the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and Buckingham Palace
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm
Two of the questions that I'm yet to hear answered satisfactorily are;

How much electricity is produced by a wind turbine? And, how much tourist revenue is created by the Royal Family?
On the former, not much I would think being every time I pass one they seem to be stopped because it's too windy :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If we scrapped the monarchy we'd probably scrap an awful lot that goes with it that tourists to London come to see: The Queen herself,Trooping the colour, Royal carriages on the road, the need for any Horse Guards, Coldstream Guards, Blues and Royals, Royal Horse artillery etc,etc and all the other things associated with royalty,even the Royal Mayor, to be in London at all. Can't imagine many Japanese tourist coming to see Teresa May or Boris riding in on a bike, or all the rest of the dignitaries we could offer. Her majesty has a charisma that may well end with her reign, although considering how many folk turn out in the rain to see a new sprog of any of the "Royals", that may not be the case. "God Save the Queen" (that subjunctive by the way, just in case Pru is reading) :wink:
But we could let them into the palace, and charge them a fortune for the privilege. Reckon that would more than suffice.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Whilst it was something I watched on T.V tonight, I've brought it here because of recent discussions on war and religion. Channel 5 showed a one hour programme called "The Nazi Jesus", dealing with Hitler's attempt to subdue and control the Vatican and wipe out the Jewish nation and install himself as the new Messiah. Like all other views on that topic there was much controversy about why the then Pope, Pious the twelfth acted (or didn't) as he did. For those still maintaining that religions cause wars, rather than those who promote power and wealth in the name of God, it made interesting, if terrible, viewing.

It's topic, for anyone with the time and interest, who wants to read an in-depth view by a Christian, can be read here. The views may be a little more than surprising/shocking. Religion, as in Word of God? Really?

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/1999/1 ... xii-199910

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:12 pm

No, as in, your made up to suit definition of religion.

"Those who promote power and wealth in the name of God" sounds like a better definition that whether winky-faced whataboutery you platituded together the other week.

Hitler and Catholicism? Yeah, religion doesn't come out too well.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:12 pm
No, as in, your made up to suit definition of religion.
"Those who promote power and wealth in the name of God" sounds like a better definition that whether winky-faced whataboutery you platituded together the other week. Hitler and Catholicism? Yeah, religion doesn't come out too well.
What an obnoxious prat you are at times. My views haven't changed and are not without consequence because Lord Prufrock speaks. Might be worth noting that one or two didn't/don't agree with your atheistic views on life and I rarely take much notice of your high-handed bad manners anyway. Good evening.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:33 am

:lol: I'm high handed?!

Sorry... ;)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:25 am

Point of order, but theres only one Lord on here.

Perhaps we can stretch to a baronetcy?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Can I have three Dark Fruits and a lager and top please?
No. Fxck off, grow up and come back in here when you can order beer and know the difference between an ale, a stout and an IPA. It's a pub not a fxckin kindergarten.

(Obviously the conversation didn't quite go like that. It should have done.)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 pm
No. Fxck off, grow up and come back in here when you can order beer and know the difference between an ale, a stout and an IPA. It's a pub not a fxckin kindergarten.

Am I to assume s/he was also wielding an e-cig? :lol:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

On this occasion sadly not. It would have added to the bathos.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

And shouted their order over from Spotty's usual pew :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:39 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

And shouted their order over from Spotty's usual pew :D
I'd ventured outside to the sunny benches. Two hours of pleasnt Sunday reading interrupted by a pint or two then became confrontational as oily, Harley Davidson emblazoned types surrounded my table with eventually one of them perching on the end. Instead of politely asking me if he and his motorcycling anoraks could share said outdoor space, he plonked himself down and correctly asserted that I was a miserable old git. The conversation went downhill from that point. I've still got all my teeth and am capable of perambulation, only because wit and repartee wasn't their strong point...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください