Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:48 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: They don't have a t-shirt on their website for under £30 (thirty pounds). No shirts for less than £70. No "hoodies" for less than £60. Tie, sir? Sure - £30. Socks? £15 a pair.

If that's average for branded clothing, I fear for our economy.
I think your fear is well founded.

But I'm not sure that JW stands out from the pack of branded clothing.
Do t-shirts really cost £30 nowadays? You see, I've got a Ben Sherman t-shirt on, with a Beatles print on the front. It cost a tenner. I've also got a couple of FCUK t-shirts that cost £12 a pop. They're not that special, but they are nice. And the £30 ones listed from JW are just plain t-shirts with the name "Jack Wills" lazily slapped on there. Are these labels now considered "cut price"?

This isn't sarcastic - this is me worrying that high-price fashion has gone from haute couture to bog standard, and we're a decade away from all being fecked when it comes to buying clothes from anywhere other than Quality Seconds
I'm not really into fashion as such myself, so this is a bit like the near-sighted leading the blind.

All I'm saying is that JW targets an end of the market along with Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Hugo Boss, Gant etc, and as such, I'm not sure its prices are out of line with the rest of the sector.

The discussion about why a crocodile/pony/whatever makes a polo shirt sell for £50 rather than £10 is certainly interesting, but it's a broader one.
Are they? If so, then that's the industry for you and, as you say, a broader discussion. But from what I can see, they're trying to position themselves as merely another high street chain selling clothes for young people, like River Island are. And it's not. It's just gash.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:49 am

thebish wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: Image

That's £300, that is. Not the dummy, just the abomination it's draped in.

They don't have a t-shirt on their website for under £30 (thirty pounds). No shirts for less than £70. No "hoodies" for less than £60. Tie, sir? Sure - £30. Socks? £15 a pair.

If that's average for branded clothing, I fear for our economy.
I half believed the "daughter wandered in and i had to go in to get her" excuse - but now you have pictures of their merchandise and a full stock list with prices... ;-)
Research, mon bish. Just like Pete Townsend....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:28 am

I'm sure a couple of the, erm, more mature members will be having a quiet laugh at all this. That stuff is pure "Noel Coward, Jeeves, The Great Gatsby, Jolly Fine Boating Weather" etc etc of the twenties onwards, re-created. "Tom Brown's Schooldays" and Harry Flashman stuff. Open-topped MG sportscars and picnics in the park and Chaps magazine fodder. Mind you, I still prefer that to the redundant Benedictine monk look of the hoodie empire. :wink:

Scholes and Scholes of Bolton sold over-priced clothes to the erm, gentry back in the fifties (a silk pocket handkerchief was a tenner in 1955, I kid you not) and are still at it. As for designer labels, well, more fool anyone who buys their clothes on the strength of them. I'm all for free expression, style and wearing what you like, but the designer label lot have made sheep of the younger nation. Style and fashion will always be around (blame George (Beau) Brummel for a lot of it) and good luck to your choice. The idea that a label has anything to do with smartness or fashion is rather ludicrous.

Oh, I'm not angry, it's a happy day today. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:31 am

Today I'm angry that my cinnamon and raisin bagel has hardly any raisins in it.
Was right all along

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:36 am

All I can add, is that if the "young" don't want to be patronised, they should probably stop having all the answers (that haven't been tried before - honest).

As for Jack Wills, I'd feel well within my rights to take the pi$$ out of anyone wearing that jacket - regardless of age.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:57 am

Okay, hairstyle's a bit long gone, but if you must bring back older style..... :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:00 pm

It's Jason King?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Okay, hairstyle's a bit long gone, but if you must bring back older style..... :wink:

Is that you in your prime?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:02 pm

My first thought was isn't this supposed to be in the haircuts for blokes thread?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:It's Jason King?
Tis indeed. Mr Cool himself. :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:55 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
Prufrock wrote:We then had a clip from Gordon Brown saying it concerned him......what an interferring sod he is. Since when did we vote in a PM to become our overlord?
Er......
:D

Not as if Tony Tony was any better at that though is it? It's a serious point though, they seem to have slowly convinced everyone that they are our overlords and commanders, as opposed to people WE choose to work FOR us. Or don't choose as you correctly point out.

Certainly with you on that bastard webuyanycar. God I hate it. It is depressing that advertising has come to 'be so annoying people end up talking about how much they hate our advert, but remember our web address'.

Why can't they all just do merecat adverts?

Simples.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:01 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
Verbal wrote:Easy to pigeonhole us young uns - the media do their best at that with every expose they produce per year about summer binging etc. Best one I've seen was the one in the Scottish Sunday Express 'exposing' the survivors of Dunblane as 18 year olds who drink, swear and have facebook. Shaming their lost friends. Bloody hell. Be real.

To be honest, I've mostly stopped caring. The whole 'yoof' demographic is so fractured now that there isn't really any point in tarring them with the same brush. Most of the people at our uni, are, for want of a better description, children of Thatcher - living on a means which was earned for them, not by them. This ain't bad in itself, I mean, no one can help where you're from, but the way they act about it...jesus christ, so incestuous. The popped collars, boating shoes, chinos (who the f*ck wears white chinos?), jack wills couture(?), hair so engrossed in product that it could support the wearer's own bodyweight. If you ain't one of them, you either don't mix or you are "token poor kid". So it seems anyway.

Either way, the point in all that ^ is that with society being so disparate any way, it's hardly fair to say differences are merely generational. There are class issues as well.

Also, I think commie would have a field day with this if he was still on, but meh.
Good God. That place has just opened a store in St Albans. The clothes? Make people look like they're dressed in either boating gear, or in their pyjamas (anyone who thinks their pyjamas are a fashion statement for the high street to see are normally the sort that have rumours about them eating cat food). The staff? Snotty to the point of offensive. The cost? Well, you can see why the only people who dress in the stuff are rich kids and drama teachers.
Awful, isn't it? There's a pciture on facebook of this guy at our uni; hair greased up, boating shoes, white pants, popped collar shirt and to top it all off, holding a bottle of champagne in one hand whilst opening the boot to one of those new minis with the other. Pretentious as f*ck. He's 15th in line to the throne or something like that.

Either way, KB. If you get the chance, go on youtube and look for "mad tv abercrombie and fitch sketch", so so funny, and probably rings true with jack wills.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm wondering, actually, if he designed our home kit...

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
Prufrock wrote:We then had a clip from Gordon Brown saying it concerned him......what an interferring sod he is. Since when did we vote in a PM to become our overlord?
Er......
:D

Not as if Tony Tony was any better at that though is it? It's a serious point though, they seem to have slowly convinced everyone that they are our overlords and commanders, as opposed to people WE choose to work FOR us. Or don't choose as you correctly point out.

Certainly with you on that bastard webuyanycar. God I hate it. It is depressing that advertising has come to 'be so annoying people end up talking about how much they hate our advert, but remember our web address'.

Why can't they all just do merecat adverts?

Simples.
Which is an alright advert, until you end up going to Whipsnade Zoo once a month and hearing any chav that's within 50 yards of the meerkat enclosure doing faux Eastern European accents singing the same "Compare The Meerkat, dot com" line fifteen times in two minutes until one of his party feels obliged to laugh, just to shut him up.

I go to Whipsnade Zoo, before any questions come my way, once a month for four reasons: 1) The Kebabling (my two year old daughter) loves it. 2) It's a twenty minute drive away, which is more than a good distance for an entertaining walk. 3) Membership for me, Mrs K and the Kebabling costs £80 a year, and we get unlimited access to Whipsnade and London Zoo for that. 4) It's brilliant, and so big that you can't do the whole zoo in one half day visit (can't do the full day, as the Kebabling still needs her two hour nap in the afternoon.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:32 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: Are they? If so, then that's the industry for you and, as you say, a broader discussion. But from what I can see, they're trying to position themselves as merely another high street chain selling clothes for young people, like River Island are. And it's not. It's just gash.
The few items I own have all been pretty good quality. And I have never seen River Island sponsoring Varsity Polo matches etc.

Anyway, I can see why it rubs people up the wrong way... in many ways I suppose that's part of the point.

Personally, I can't really see why anyone is that bothered by what anyone else wears. And I'm sorry Verbal, but I do think you're in danger of doing what you're complaining of in the reverse direction.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:44 pm

If I buy a polo shirt will I have to play? :|

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 am

TANGODANCER wrote:If I buy a polo shirt will I have to play? :|
Not if the horse has any say in it. :mrgreen:

kagni
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kagni » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:09 am

Today I'm angry about those 3-mobile inserts they show on channel 4, they feature a supposed comedian dressed in a Jack Wills jacket telling some of the worst "jokes" I've heard since Bobby Davro fell off the edge of the planet. I know it's harmless enough stuff, but when it comes on I just want to kick the guy in the face.
I was shocked to find out he's actually a comedian in real life, I assumed it was some bit part actor they hired to read out some rubbish jokes from a script. But no, this knob actually makes a living out of it. His name is Spencer Brown, and his real life comedy is just as bad as the stuff on the ads.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Didn't seem worthwhile starting a new thread for this:

Fergie is angry and accuses City of being "Supid and arrogant". Seems the Tevez billboard has got up his nose and he says City are a small club with a small mentality. Now come on Alec, youve been arrogant for years, give someone else a chance.

John Terry is angry about Chelsea putting him under pressure about his future. Aww. What does he think they are paying him a hundred grand a week for, to be fxxxed about by his own arrogance?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:06 pm

kagni wrote:Today I'm angry about those 3-mobile inserts they show on channel 4, they feature a supposed comedian dressed in a Jack Wills jacket telling some of the worst "jokes" I've heard since Bobby Davro fell off the edge of the planet. I know it's harmless enough stuff, but when it comes on I just want to kick the guy in the face.
I was shocked to find out he's actually a comedian in real life, I assumed it was some bit part actor they hired to read out some rubbish jokes from a script. But no, this knob actually makes a living out of it. His name is Spencer Brown, and his real life comedy is just as bad as the stuff on the ads.
this.

What a shithouse he is
Was right all along