Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:31 pm
^^ You might want to look at that 10x number a bit closer. Great headline and might apply in middle of London. Doesn't apply in the NW....plenty of data on ave house prices v ave earnings. And to the folks that say this is the worst it's ever been, it's nowhere near as bad as the 1800's :-) Poor Houses, that put a roof over people's heads. :-)

The only time we've ever delivered significant market growth by volume is when councils we're doing it (not that they didn't build some right shite), but developers have no reason to flood the supply side, so they won't.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2 ... rage-wages

I mean the numbers we can argue over but this shows it pretty clearly. House prices and wages broadly in line until the last 20 years when its gone completely mental.

If you bought a house pre 2000 it was orders of magnitude easier. That's simply a fact. Whatever savings someone had to make in 1970 when house prices and wages were more or less in line. Whatever hardships and savings they went through it is now far far more difficult and those hardships and sacrifices are multiplied. Perhaps not ten fold but for some it is that and for many it may as well be.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 am
Worthy4England wrote:
^^ You might want to look at that 10x number a bit closer. Great headline and might apply in middle of London. Doesn't apply in the NW....plenty of data on ave house prices v ave earnings. And to the folks that say this is the worst it's ever been, it's nowhere near as bad as the 1800's :-) Poor Houses, that put a roof over people's heads. :-)

The only time we've ever delivered significant market growth by volume is when councils we're doing it (not that they didn't build some right shite), but developers have no reason to flood the supply side, so they won't.

I mean the numbers we can argue over but this shows it pretty clearly. House prices and wages broadly in line until the last 20 years when its gone completely mental.

If you bought a house pre 2000 it was orders of magnitude easier. That's simply a fact. Whatever savings someone had to make in 1970 when house prices and wages were more or less in line. Whatever hardships and savings they went through it is now far far more difficult and those hardships and sacrifices are multiplied. Perhaps not ten fold but for some it is that and for many it may as well be.
We don't disagree in the sense that I want my bin lids to be able to afford a house too and it's far too difficult at the moment. :-)

The problem with random averages is they show the headline picture, which is then taken as "that's everywhere", but that picture is hugely skewed by London and South East/South West in its applicability. No one is forced to own a house - which is different than should people be able to have a roof over their head. I'm fairly sure someone could get better than a 1 bed flat with his 40k deposit in or around Greater Manchester, if only they could get a mortgage...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:53 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:26 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 am
Worthy4England wrote:

We don't disagree in the sense that I want my bin lids to be able to afford a house too and it's far too difficult at the moment. :-)

The problem with random averages is they show the headline picture, which is then taken as "that's everywhere", but that picture is hugely skewed by London and South East/South West in its applicability. No one is forced to own a house - which is different than should people be able to have a roof over their head. I'm fairly sure someone could get better than a 1 bed flat with his 40k deposit in or around Greater Manchester, if only they could get a mortgage...
There is as you say regional variance. But for example recently house prices in GM have risen more than anywhere else in country. Its not as clear cut as 'just a London phenomenon'.

Most don't have a £40K deposit either. I get that lots who say they can't afford a house could probably buy a crumbling terrace round Anfield. Sure. But I do also think Pru's point about people needing houses where relevant jobs are is a fair one. London and the area round it has more jobs than anywhere else. Someone has to work there. And currently the only option is to rent for majority of new job market entrants. And their prospects for then saving to buy are in many cases zero. Its easy to play the 'location card' but ultimately people need to be where jobs are - though Covid in fairness has changed that to some extent.

You also see similar effects in other parts of the country - house prices in parts of Bolton have shot up. And that's Bolton.

The issue is really that we've spent the past 30 years selling people on 'housing as an investment' even the one you bloody live in so we've driven the prices up that way as WELL as clearly not building enough new properties and affordable ones. The combination is this mess we find ourselves in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:21 pm

I've spent most of my working life in London or abroad...live in the North West...I couldn't at the time have afforded anywhere in London (or even that nearby), so I didn't. But I do agree, this won't be solved until some firms start to relocate out of London, just filling London up further isn't a sustainable plan and will continue to drive the scarcity that the developers love.

As for Bolton. The median affordability ratio was 2.91 in 1998. It's now sat at 5.71 - so yes way less affordable, so it's broadly got twice as hard as it was. But what we're looking at here, doesn't have a binary cut-off, there isn't a number at which it becomes wrong. It's like arguing that having you leg removed at the thigh is much worse than having you leg removed below the knee...None of the proposed tinkering they're doing will help much IMO. They aren't going to impose a capped rent, that would be interfering in the market too much and their back-bench landlords would all froth at the mouth.

The outcry that the "new housing algorithm" produced lots of big numbers in Tory leafy suburbs is no surprise because that's nearest to where the jobs are. So they're re-writing the "algorithm" to put more up North...which is where the jobs aren't.

You couldn't make this shit up.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:06 pm

Wankers panic buying car fuel. Absolute wankers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:06 pm
You should tell them. I blame the journalists for 'fuelling' it. You should tell them too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
You should tell them. I blame the journalists for 'fuelling' it. You should tell them too.
Reporting has been fairly restrained till today. Considering I struggled to get fuel on Monday it’s been relatively slow to really hit headlines. People are moronic. But that’s life.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:30 pm

At 9am this morning BP were saying they had closed 3 out of 350 or so stations? The Beebs webpage leading with a headline about fuel shortages was bound to lead to panic buying.

I don't blame folk for going getting some. Personally, I had less than a quarter of a tank and wouldn't be getting to the SoL tomorrow if I hadn't!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 pm

I was moving house in the middle of the petrol crisis in 2000. In the end I had to do about 30 trips on the tube, changing at Green park each time. Fecking nightmare. If I run out of petrol this time, I'll be reet as long as I don't need to go more that 18 miles :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:30 pm

I don't blame folk for going getting some. Personally, I had less than a quarter of a tank and wouldn't be getting to the SoL tomorrow if I hadn't!
It's all me, me, me with you! You'll be voting fir Boris next. 😁

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:30 pm
At 9am this morning BP were saying they had closed 3 out of 350 or so stations? The Beebs webpage leading with a headline about fuel shortages was bound to lead to panic buying.

People like you panic buying petrol and causing long queues is what made me late to work today! Tsk!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:55 am

Doesn't everyone just plug their Tesla in? Is this the dark ages?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Reporting has been fairly restrained till today. Considering I struggled to get fuel on Monday it’s been relatively slow to really hit headlines. People are moronic. But that’s life.
BN seemed to have some petrol crisis live blog going!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:29 pm

Well done to the Beeb for this one! 🤣🤣🤣

FB_IMG_1632572779387.jpg
FB_IMG_1632572779387.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 3996 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:44 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:06 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BN seemed to have some petrol crisis live blog going!
The BN have nowt better to do. No doubt they’d have a live blog for a spot of rain soon,

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:29 pm
Well done to the Beeb for this one! 🤣🤣🤣

FB_IMG_1632572779387.jpg
Saw that. Every cloud... 😄

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:09 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... -down.html

What is it with these right wing thicko's and their obsession with forcing everyone back to offices? So much so that a whole article is written trying to compare Britain in the early throws of WW2 with 2021. Another obsession is that when said morons descend us into the crisis of the past few years their defence is always 'well its not as bad as the war'. That would be the war you didn't fight in, were born almost a decade after and that you have precisely zero experience of. And funnily enough those that fought in said war all seem to despise people like you.

The 'WW2 wifi' memes are obviously strong here but what on earth goes through their minds. Or is it - self preservation - they and their mates own all the City office blocks and if demand goes down their incomes are slashed?

Its mind boggling how the supposed champions of free market economics who won't interfere as essential services markets (that they forced on us) collapse and justify wrecking industries on the basis of 'economics' want to interfere in how businesses operate in this country.

Its almost like capitalism can only thrive on mass misery and misinformation....oh.....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:10 pm

^^ "There can be no doubt working together makes us more productive." Yes there absolutely can. Plenty of places within my business where productivity increased by not making people travel 2/4/6 hours both ways paid dividends with increased productivity. Probably because they're not spending so much time at the brew point, listening to Karen talk about her fcuking dog.

As previously said, there's time and place to be in an office. And if people have a preference to be (because it get's them away from their own Karen talking about her dog), then that's fine. But they didn't have much of an option in 1940's around using communications technologies. They were still sending messages by carrier pigeon. The man's a complete bell-end.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:11 pm

Not really anything to get angry about though is it? Well, not unless you get annoyed particularly easily. Just IDS spouting ill thought out shite, which is hardly a shock. :conf:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:11 pm
Not really anything to get angry about though is it? Well, not unless you get annoyed particularly easily. Just IDS spouting ill thought out shite, which is hardly a shock. :conf:
Good point, well made! I'm not angry about it. Maybe there should be a "Today an MP spouted this bollocks" thread...