Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: As for drinking culture, surely thats down to the "working man down the pub culture" that still existed 20-30 years ago? Binge drinking has always existed though, it was just seen as more "acceptable" when middle aged pit workers were drinking themselves into an early grave every night, than now when it is seen as the young and upwardly mobile doing it!
Think again. A few pints and a game of cards, darts or dominoes where about what most could afford. Blame the hippies for the rest. :mrgreen:

Hoboh hates everything anyway. :wink:
Actually thats not true and perhaps is evidence of people looking at the past through rose-tinted specs, but hey! You are right that a "lot" couldn't afford it really but that didn't stop them, from drinking leaving their families to starve, then going home drunk and beating the crap out of them.

Whilst the amount of alcohol consumed by UK adults over 14 has "risen" since the 60's this is mainly because the number of people drinking has also risen. Therefore pushing the average units per person up.

However, if you look at trends the main increase is in wine (mainly because of the greater number of women who partake). The average number of units of Beer/Lager consumed per person is actually lower than most of the early 70's!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:51 am

hoboh2o wrote:Just found this thread! Cheers Pru you've just confirmed that the youth of today should behave better, be great full for being "allowed to stay in Education or paid not to work" despite contributing nowt or taken out and SHOT!
Why should we put up with Morons who don't work, don't want to work, probably never will work yet can still afford to get pissed nearly everyday whilst having their rent paid to turn their flats or council houses into drug, sex or booze parlors?
Our Police should be left alone to deal with drunken yobs like the Spanish Police do, trouble breaks out you get the feck away as fast as possible not stand around videoing it on your mobile to U tube for your mates or you get your skull split!
Youth have become Morons because of the soft liberal woolly jumper mob of the late sixties early seventy's they too should be hunted down and shot!
You leave school you work, if you go to Uni, you work to pay for it simple as, then when you get qualified at least you can justify your big over inflated salary's.
Youth today get their arse's wiped and still whinge and whine
The fees come out of your salary after you graduate, assuming you've a) managed to get a job in the recession and b) found one which pays over the 15k threshold. So aye, it's not exactly a bunch of roses.

And fyi, rent paid for? Are you having a giraffe? I had to have three jobs on the go just to keep up with payments, never mind this 'going out' lark. You get a student loan as well, yes, but as said above ^ it's all repayed. and with top up fees now you, The Taxpayer (c) get even more money back from us lot, which will go a long way to easing your fears as it shores up our financial and MPs allowance system.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Actually thats not true and perhaps is evidence of people looking at the past through rose-tinted specs, but hey! You are right that a "lot" couldn't afford it really but that didn't stop them, from drinking leaving their families to starve, then going home drunk and beating the crap out of them.
Are we generalising or saying some might have done that? If the first, a few hard-working pit lads might want a word with you. :wink:

Just like the youth and every other facet of life, tarring all with the same brush is totally wrong. My initial post was just a little tongue-in-cheek.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm with the guys on youths. I've said it before but it's worth repeating. Kids should be removed at age 10 and put in a camp until they're released aged 25. Now for my pet peeve, moblie phones...........aarrrggghhhh!!! :whack:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:37 pm

InsaneApache wrote:I'm with the guys on youths. I've said it before but it's worth repeating. Kids should be removed at age 10 and put in a camp until they're released aged 25. Now for my pet peeve, moblie phones...........aarrrggghhhh!!! :whack:
I'm with Apache on this.....sort of, I don't mind the phones its just morons who wander around whilst on them, getting the way, swerving from side to side, GET OUT OF THE WAY AND STAND STILL! Also work collegues who leave their phones on their desks (esp work ones!) to ring and ring and ring (I sometimes take the battery out)

And don't even mention people using the dam things at the till in a shop........I did tell some woman to have her conversation after she had finished paying as most of us wanted to get home that evening (trust me never heard anyone talk about so much drivel and yes we could all hear every word she was saying).

But what is really getting to me is noisy eaters! For christs sake close your mouth when you are eating, I don't want to hear it or see it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Raven wrote:
InsaneApache wrote:I'm with the guys on youths. I've said it before but it's worth repeating. Kids should be removed at age 10 and put in a camp until they're released aged 25. Now for my pet peeve, moblie phones...........aarrrggghhhh!!! :whack:
I'm with Apache on this.....sort of, I don't mind the phones its just morons who wander around whilst on them, getting the way, swerving from side to side, GET OUT OF THE WAY AND STAND STILL! Also work collegues who leave their phones on their desks (esp work ones!) to ring and ring and ring (I sometimes take the battery out)

And don't even mention people using the dam things at the till in a shop........I did tell some woman to have her conversation after she had finished paying as most of us wanted to get home that evening (trust me never heard anyone talk about so much drivel and yes we could all hear every word she was saying).

But what is really getting to me is noisy eaters! For christs sake close your mouth when you are eating, I don't want to hear it or see it.
You forgot to mention the charlies who use their phones as a speaker, so everybody else has to put up with the gash hardcore 'music' they insist on playing

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Bruno wrote:Cheers Bruce, glad to know of another believer in the miracle of IKEA meatballs.

I love the Gravelax (sp?) too, wonderful stuff.
They do Gravadlax? :shock: Do they serve it with that mustard, honey and dill sauce stuff too?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Verbal wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:Just found this thread! Cheers Pru you've just confirmed that the youth of today should behave better, be great full for being "allowed to stay in Education or paid not to work" despite contributing nowt or taken out and SHOT!
Why should we put up with Morons who don't work, don't want to work, probably never will work yet can still afford to get pissed nearly everyday whilst having their rent paid to turn their flats or council houses into drug, sex or booze parlors?
Our Police should be left alone to deal with drunken yobs like the Spanish Police do, trouble breaks out you get the feck away as fast as possible not stand around videoing it on your mobile to U tube for your mates or you get your skull split!
Youth have become Morons because of the soft liberal woolly jumper mob of the late sixties early seventy's they too should be hunted down and shot!
You leave school you work, if you go to Uni, you work to pay for it simple as, then when you get qualified at least you can justify your big over inflated salary's.
The fees come out of your salary after you graduate, assuming you've a) managed to get a job in the recession and b) found one which pays over the 15k threshold. So aye, it's not exactly a bunch of roses.

And fyi, rent paid for? Are you having a giraffe? I had to have three jobs on the go just to keep up with payments, never mind this 'going out' lark. You get a student loan as well, yes, but as said above ^ it's all repayed. and with top up fees now you, The Taxpayer (c) get even more money back from us lot, which will go a long way to easing your fears as it shores up our financial and MPs allowance system.
Actually not having a go at your type that work for it more the ones who expect Uni to be funded for them at whose expense? the guy waiting for heart surgry, the Soldier in a war with sh*te equipment?
The rent bit applies to those who don't work, won't work yet want housing etc as a "right" We give youth in a lot of cases too many easy options and in the next decade we will pay dearly for this! Lawyers will become the real fat cats because like undertakers there will be no shortage of work, in fact there will be plenty of repeat business

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:16 pm

hoboh2o wrote:
The rent bit applies to those who don't work, won't work yet want housing etc as a "right" We give youth in a lot of cases too many easy options and in the next decade we will pay dearly for this! Lawyers will become the real fat cats because like undertakers there will be no shortage of work, in fact there will be plenty of repeat business
Undertakers get repeat business? I would have thought it was mostly new customers...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:
Undertakers get repeat business? I would have thought it was mostly new customers...
:wink: Don't nit pick I meant the legal eagles! you know I did :mrgreen:

Or is this a sinister hint that a better education may have made hobo more literate???
Worked all me life from apprenticeship till now through ressesions still found work, any work to keep the family, its called responsabilities and pride not left them for someone else to pick up the bill for. :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm

boltonboris wrote: You forgot to mention the charlies who use their phones as a speaker, so everybody else has to put up with the gash hardcore 'music' they insist on playing
Could I throw in the types who turn a corner at traffic light with one hand doing the turning and the other clutching a mobile while chatting to mates ? Or maybe the (mainly) girls who ring each other up whilst standing next to you on a crowded train and say: "Hiya, it's only me. Where are you and what are you up to?".....at 7-30 in the morning ffs.....and, oh forget it. The list is endless.

What can you expect when the TV bombards you with adverts for the damn things every five minutes. It's good to talk....yeah, er right, but have something to talk about that matters.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote: You forgot to mention the charlies who use their phones as a speaker, so everybody else has to put up with the gash hardcore 'music' they insist on playing
Could I throw in the types who turn a corner at traffic light with one hand doing the turning and the other clutching a mobile while chatting to mates ? Or maybe the (mainly) girls who ring each other up whilst standing next to you on a crowded train and say: "Hiya, it's only me. Where are you and what are you up to?".....at 7-30 in the morning ffs.....and, oh forget it. The list is endless.

What can you expect when the TV bombards you with adverts for the damn things every five minutes. It's good to talk....yeah, er right, but have something to talk about that matters.
Bloody kids eh tango? :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Ban Mobiles for the under 30's!
Ban under 30's from driving
Ban under 30's from public transport
Ban under 30's from pubs
Ban under 30,s from football
Ban under 30's from ...............errr
Existing :mrgreen:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:56 pm

hoboh2o wrote:Ban Mobiles for the under 30's!
Ban under 30's from driving
Ban under 30's from public transport
Ban under 30's from pubs
Ban under 30,s from football
Ban under 30's from ...............errr
Existing :mrgreen:
Ban them from School. It saves us forcing them to go in!

Spoken from a 25 Year old

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm

hoboh2o wrote:
Verbal wrote:

Actually not having a go at your type that work for it more the ones who expect Uni to be funded for them at whose expense? the guy waiting for heart surgry, the Soldier in a war with sh*te equipment?
I think it's a small minority who do this. I graduated last year, have a job, and am paying both taxes and payments on my student loan. Most of my friends have done the same - those that haven't are actively looking for jobs.
Sure, some people are living off benefits. But so do much older people - it's not a youth problem.

Perhaps some of the blame should go to the government in their aiming to get 50% of people to university when this is not the best option for eveyone.
'Far away, there in the sunshine are my aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead.' (Louisa May Alcott)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 pm

chris wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:
Verbal wrote:

I think it's a small minority who do this. I graduated last year, have a job, and am paying both taxes and payments on my student loan. Most of my friends have done the same - those that haven't are actively looking for jobs.
Sure, some people are living off benefits. But so do much older people - it's not a youth problem.

Perhaps some of the blame should go to the government in their aiming to get 50% of people to university when this is not the best option for eveyone.
Oh I agree the clever should go to Uni, the average shouldn't that will lower standards. Some are good at somethings others are better at other things, my point is the latest ruse to keep young uns off the dole, keep them in education! An education that will be of little benefit to anyone in the long term aprentiseships would be of far more value and install a work ethic in folk. Unfortunatly companies don't want to train youth like the army don't want conscription anymore, the general feeling is youth don't give a toss a fact brought home by all the stupid vids on you tube and the obsession with face book etc so don't they want to waste cash or resources.
Youth don't like being told what to do and have a bloody sack of spuds not a chip on their shoulders, is it any wonder youth unemployment is soaring? no one wants the hassle off the clever dicks. A harsh change of attitude would have put things right but nowadays mates count for more than family so there you go its too late!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Hoboh the reason more and more young people go to Uni is because their job prospects are far higher with a degree than without.

This is because now even basic entry level jobs often require the skills and knowledge assoicated with a degree.

Also many career paths that don't need a degree at entry level will require one pretty soon after.

This is because rightly or wrongly most employers still use education level as a basic gauge of skill and ability. Whether this is right or wrong, thats why more young people go to uni now. The government met these "perceived" skills gaps and introduced several schemes to help more people get a degree.

In the past there were jobs for the masses who didn't go to University. Most of these jobs don't exist anymore.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: In the past there were jobs for the masses who didn't go to University. Most of these jobs don't exist anymore.
No arguing with that. Can't blame kids either for not wanting to follow their dads and granddads down the pit or into cottonmills anyway. Biggest problem overall is that their are more kids than jobs they can do.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:01 pm

If we'd just left them going up chimneys at age five, none of this would have happened. And you tell the kids today etc........
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Without weighing in on either side of this issue, I should note that the higher the level of an individual's education, the greater the rewards in later working life - salary, job satisfaction, job security etc. There appears to be a direct correlation. I also feel that a university is not simply about preparation for the job market but also about acquiring intangibles that lead to a better quality in one's non-working life. A more educated the general population in a country leads to greater life expectancy, a lessening in crime, etc. Countries whose population becomes more educated do have to make adjustments which can be painful. In Canada in the last 30 years a number of industries that provided a lot of employment simply ceased to exist - Quebec's clothing industry (rag trade) and furniture making are examples. In the world market these industries could not compete without tariff protection that made everything too expensive, so free trade and the far east simply killed these off. Instead, with a better educated labour force, we concentrate on research and development in scientific and high tech areas such as aerospace engineering, intelligent machines, pharmaceuticals, biomedical engineering, etc. as well as the traditional professions. Even in essential trades such as electricians and plumbers, the work force has a college education (three years vocational training post-high school) and requires professional certification. Those who do not go to college or even finish high school are restricted to manual labour, taxi driving or running convenience stores. First generation immigrants also do these tasks but their children often go on to higher education and they are generally upwardly mobile. Just my two cents.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.