Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Enoch » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:28 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:06 pm
Different countries, with different existing health services, different demographics, different levels of being able to control citizens etc.

Indeed, far too many variables for your regular armchair critic to consider. Just one example here that throws up an interesting, whilst by no means conclusive, correlation.

Population density per sq kilometre for:

Republic of Ireland........66
England...………………….424
France...………………….…103
Germany...…………………226
Italy...………………..……….202
Holand……………………...406
Belgium...…………..……..367
New York...………..…10,194

Still, you can find the answer to all your questions on twitter.

NB These numbers are not certified by me!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Yeah I saw us get compared to new Zealand the other day. For every person passing through Auckland airport each year they have 1.5 sheep.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Love to see the Heathrow numbers on that

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:39 pm
Love to see the Heathrow numbers on that

According to 'UK Sheep Yearbook 2018', yeah, who knew? There were 15.5M sheep in England in 2017. In the same year, according to 'The Independent', 78M passengers passed through Heathrow airport.

So that's about one fifth of a beast per passenger compared to one and a half each for Auckland.

I'm not a greedy person, I passed through twice last year but I'll settle for one leg.

Edit:

By the by, population density for New Zealand is 18 per square kilometre.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Anyone fancy a stab at population densities in Singapore and South Korea? And also proximity to original outbreak?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Someone told me that in Singapore you get birched for having chewing gum stuck to your shoe.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 pm
Someone told me that in Singapore you get birched for having chewing gum stuck to your shoe.
Yep - and its against the law to jay walk and not cross at designated crossing points. And there is no free speech and massive media control.

In these kinds of countries the state can place a lot more control on people and breaking the controls tends to be more punitive, as well as citizens living in fear of breaking the rules.

That kind of control is simply not possible in most Western countries.

Now, in times of a global pandemic, maybe countries like Singapore have it right and they have been able to keep a lid on things, but in "normal" times I sure as hell would rather be living in our kind of environment than theirs (and from previous experience of working over there, so would the majority of their citizens".

I'll say it again - absolutely no two countries are the same in this - each one has its own nuances and variables, and each one is managing its own situation the best it can, based on a broad spectrum of scientific, medical and other expert advice. None of us can say who has got it right or wrong. Some countries will come out if it well (or better than others) and some less so, but it will have been best endeavours for all of them, and I am certain of one thing: not one of us BWFC supporting laymen, or the thousands of Twitterati et al, have got any better clue how to deal with it than the respective governments.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:28 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:06 pm
Different countries, with different existing health services, different demographics, different levels of being able to control citizens etc.

Indeed, far too many variables for your regular armchair critic to consider. Just one example here that throws up an interesting, whilst by no means conclusive, correlation.

Population density per sq kilometre for:

Republic of Ireland........66
England...………………….424
France...………………….…103
Germany...…………………226
Italy...………………..……….202
Holand……………………...406
Belgium...…………..……..367
New York...………..…10,194

Still, you can find the answer to all your questions on twitter.

NB These numbers are not certified by me!
Apples and oranges, Enoch?

Can we add
USA.....34
London....11,200
Paris...21,616
Guttenberg, New Jersey.....21,961
?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:30 pm

4860 in Bolton according to wiki

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Can we add...

Add as you wish, Monty. Though I'm not sure I caught your drift.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Can we add...

Just it was an odd table listing countries and one city. So I add more cities and one country, though I don't know what any of it means..
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:18 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:50 pm
Enoch wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Can we add...

Just it was an odd table listing countries and one city. So I add more cities and one country, though I don't know what any of it means..

Ah, well at least you seem to have caught my drift.

Just now, none of us know what any of it means. :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:42 pm

The FT have done analysis that shows population and population density has a very weak correlation to deaths total.

Yet the speed with which lockdown measures were enacted has a much much stronger correlation.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 96034?s=21

I mean we instinctively know this but good that some actual analysis has been done.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:43 am

No analysis that includes China's figures in it can be accurate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:43 am
No analysis that includes China's figures in it can be accurate.
They are going to follow up on some of the regions where data might be inaccurate and do a weighted confidence analysis. For now though even if you take those out, it shows the biggest single indicator of high daily death rate is being slow to implement the lockdown and not population density.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Pond life who are spitting at the police and paramedics claiming they have the virus! Why oh why can the police not just tazer, cuff them, chuck um in the van then make their miserable existence more miserable for a few hours down the station? If they are school kids drag the parents in and fine them.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:37 pm
Pond life who are spitting at the police and paramedics claiming they have the virus! Why oh why can the police not just tazer, cuff them, chuck um in the van then make their miserable existence more miserable for a few hours down the station? If they are school kids drag the parents in and fine them.
Similar scum have coughed on police deliberately in the US. However, they now face fairly serious charges of assault with intent to injure, with a deadly weapon, etc. They are unlikely find a sympathetic jury either.

Could not similar charges with a stiff tariff be brought in the UK?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Doubt it. Words are less divorced from their meaning here than they are in the states (e.g. speech doesn't mean money and weapon doesn't mean cough).

It's almost certainly be assault but from memory the max sentence there is maybe 1 year. There are further protections for the emergency services.

Might be different if it was someone who knew they had it.

Someone did it to the missus' sister and partner while they were walking along the other day. Wankers (the spitters, not the in-laws).

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 pm

Getting a trifle fed up of all the outlets refusing cash payments these days, I really think they are working to abolish it. There are some places that no way I would give card details to nor trust their contactless system to be 100% secure, surely they have to accept cash by law, isn't it legal tender? Big brother monitoring seems to be taking over, as for that Covid app, spit!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 pm
Getting a trifle fed up of all the outlets refusing cash payments these days, I really think they are working to abolish it. There are some places that no way I would give card details to nor trust their contactless system to be 100% secure, surely they have to accept cash by law, isn't it legal tender? Big brother monitoring seems to be taking over, as for that Covid app, spit!
I genuinely don't think I've paid for anything with cash in about 5 years - certainly not in a shop or whatnot. Possibly in bars etc I have.

But I've used contactless payment in that time every since day and not had an issue. Not really sure what you're worried about. Nobody steals your details - card cloning is only an issue if you surrender your physical card to someone. Cash you are subject to fake notes etc...

Nothing is risk free or without its drawbacks but I really do not think paying by card is an issue unless you are one who wears tinfoil on your head....