Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:58 pm

My wife is 78 this month and I am 83 in September. We're turning lights off all over the place and cutting down on everything. It's a real struggle . We have had an electric meter for years ( we're all electric and have no gas) and never been in debt. How long can that last now? Today I got a letter from her Majesty's inspector of taxes saying they have checked their records and I owe them £70. Wonderful.

We're not entitled to any pension credits as the government say we have enough to manage on (just). We pay our bills on time, are debt free and always in credit and have never had tax problems. Why now do they decide I owe them? Does somebody sit up all night checking these things?

In a country where a massive percentage of people are in debt they can't pay (according to cocker), is they how they hope to solve things by attacking pensioners? I am deeply grateful for our N.H.S and its beleaguered employees, but we are proving inept in so many other things. Where will it all end for our kids and grandkids? I owed £70 (apparently), wonder how much a few yacht-owning top-enders owe?

Yours truly Fed-up-Tango. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:24 am

Forget the 'life' sentences the time has come to hold another referendum on capital punishment. These people don't deserve to ever have the opportunity to walk the streets again. No more excuses for the usually drug/gang connected 'big men', nor the dangerous half brains who think stabbing someone is clever.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm

We've all seen what happens with referendums Hobes.

I can think of a few recent criminals that I'd be quite chilled to see them put down but until you can guarantee against someone wrongfully convicted from being executed (you can't) then no way is the death penalty coming back here, or in any other modern democracy that ain't backward.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:50 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm

I can think of a few recent criminals that I'd be quite chilled to see them put down but until you can guarantee against someone wrongfully convicted from being executed (you can't) then no way is the death penalty coming back here, or in any other modern democracy that ain't backward.
Not to mention it doesn’t act as a deterrent is far far more expensive than the alternatives and a mistake is terminal.

It’s a backwards idea.

The bigger problem is we don’t catch enough of the criminals and then don’t deal with them properly when we do. The criminal justice system is completely broken. And few know how to fix it. Thankfully I think the likely next but one PM has a decent working knowledge of it….

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:50 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Not to mention it doesn’t act as a deterrent is far far more expensive than the alternatives and a mistake is terminal.

It’s a backwards idea.

The bigger problem is we don’t catch enough of the criminals and then don’t deal with them properly when we do. The criminal justice system is completely broken. And few know how to fix it. Thankfully I think the likely next but one PM has a decent working knowledge of it….
More expensive? You really are having a laugh there mate hung dead buried instead of tens of thousands per year in the Nick

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
then no way is the death penalty coming back here, or in any other modern democracy that ain't backward.
Not disagreeing, Harry, but just wondered whether you rated the US archaic, undemocratic or simply backward. Or all three perhaps.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:47 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:13 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
then no way is the death penalty coming back here, or in any other modern democracy that ain't backward.
Not disagreeing, Harry, but just wondered whether you rated the US archaic, undemocratic or simply backward. Or all three perhaps.
All 3 :D

Do you know if many states have restarted executions after previously stopping them? I've seen candidate ads where they denigrate their opponents for being soft on crime so I imagine it's happened. Probably in southern states.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:48 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

It’s a backwards idea.

More expensive? You really are having a laugh there mate hung dead buried instead of tens of thousands per year in the Nick
That’s not how it works though. Go and ask the states in the USA that still practice it. It’s more expensive. Years of appeals, massive legal costs. Then the ones you get wrong….

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:48 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

It’s a backwards idea.

That’s not how it works though. Go and ask the states in the USA that still practice it. It’s more expensive. Years of appeals, massive legal costs. Then the ones you get wrong….
Oh I agree the US system is broken but today with the level of forensics, cctv and phones most are caught bang to rights and should be dealt with within a week of convection. Dodgy cops should face the same if they tamper with evidence.
Why I'm fuming is that poor 87yr old bloke in the mobility scooter
The scumbag had no reason to kill him and then the 'ard Scousers just put the icing on the cake!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:43 am

It seems to me a slight issue that by the time you've hanged the dodgy cops for tampering with evidence you've already...never mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:54 am

The very real deterrent against severity in sentencing is actually innocence. I wonder just how many people found guilty of crime have actually been wrongly accused? It could be you. Think on that before hanging yourself or a family member. (no, nothing like that has ever happened to me or mine, but it's worth a mention surely?.)

Led by the headline, I remember once reading on some relevant agony aunt posting where a woman had confessed years later to falsely accusing an innocent man of rape. He served five years or so and after recognising him in a public park, she was asking should she approach him, confess and seek forgiveness? After costing him his freedom, marriage and job, only he could answer that,but the awfulness of her action cannot be denied. With capital punishment there's no return ticket.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:42 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:43 am
It seems to me a slight issue that by the time you've hanged the dodgy cops for tampering with evidence you've already...never mind.
Mistakes would be rare, very rare mind I'd expect that from someone in your line of work, reduced business n all that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:49 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:42 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:43 am
Mistakes would be rare, very rare mind I'd expect that from someone in your line of work, reduced business n all that.
Mistakes would be rare. What about deliberate set ups? And what do you do when a ‘mistake’ is made? How do you compensate his family? Kill those who were responsible for the mistake I guess? Cos no amount of money is bringing him back.

I think you’d have to say that any executioner should face the punishment if they execute an innocent person. Only fair. How many would volunteer for that?

In the USA don’t they have thousands and thousands of wrongful convictions every year? I suspect we are much lower but will still be hundreds I imagine. Kill ten of those and what are you doing? Can’t reverse it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:17 pm

Today I’m angry about emus. Had a particularly violent one bite my face today! Don’t recommend them as a pet!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:17 pm
Today I’m angry about emus. Had a particularly violent one bite my face today! Don’t recommend them as a pet!
Rather an emu bite me than a dog or cat tbh!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Rather an emu bite me than a dog or cat tbh!
It’s left a bruise on my cheek! Think it was after my sunglasses!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:00 pm

I feel for you. But don't keep animals (who's natural habitat is "wild") including dogs, cats, hamsters and guinea pigs, then complain when they act like animals. Personally I wouldn't allow people to keep animals, other than for farming purposes....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:06 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:00 pm
I feel for you. But don't keep animals (who's natural habitat is "wild") including dogs, cats, hamsters and guinea pigs, then complain when they act like animals. Personally I wouldn't allow people to keep animals, other than for farming purposes....
This wasn’t mine! Was at a farm park. And I didn’t complain, other then here. I was a brave little soldier. You don’t agree with having pets Worthy?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:29 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:06 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
I had a narrow escape, could have been so much worse! :lol: