Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm glad that the vast majority of our society has managed to evolve their thoughts well beyond the simplistic, bigoted prejudice that Hoboh spouts. I mean lets be fair he tries to be clever and hide those thoughts behind a gibbering mess of "my choice, my freedom" bilge, but it isn't subtle and nor is it even close to mitigating the very obvious underlying issue.

I'm glad that we have evolved as a society to see through these ridiculous arguments.

There are plenty of people I don't like, but my not liking them is not reason for me to discriminate against them. Nor is it justification. It really is that simple and cannot be twisted any other way.
To be fair, in this case he's not saying he does think that, he's saying why shouldn't he be able to. The simple answer to which is he can if he wants. He can't necessarily act on though. Not be friends with someone because they're gay? Yeah sure, if you want. It's your private life. You'd be a dick, but that's not illegal. Refuse to let them stay in your hotel? No.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:Interflora.

Bag of shysters.

Mothers Day. 'nuff said.
We've had nothing to moan about with them... I think their problem is that it's an association of small independent traders and the majority do a bloody good job, but there is the occasional shop that isn't as good or as organised as the majority.

Having said that, I recognise that this is a place to rant, and I certainly don't want to piss on your rant chips.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:56 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Interflora.

Bag of shysters.

Mothers Day. 'nuff said.
We've had nothing to moan about with them... I think their problem is that it's an association of small independent traders and the majority do a bloody good job, but there is the occasional shop that isn't as good or as organised as the majority.

Having said that, I recognise that this is a place to rant, and I certainly don't want to piss on your rant chips.
Aye, I think my comment was more on the general practise of banging prices of flowers up for things like Mothers Day and Valentine's Day etc, than Interflora. You can pick your price range and there's a fair choice available. Your wife or mother are worth a lot more than a bunch of flowers whatever the cost anyway, despite the moans. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:04 pm

I looked on Interflora a while back. £24 quid before you got started, and then about 4quid a flower on top. Plus postage. Got the same thing from M&S for 30£ all in and she loved them. The delivery guy did just dump them in a box outside her building though, which was odd, and out of order!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Because we live in a fecking society!
And who decides that?
You? Pru? what gives you the fecking right to decide how I think , feel etc?
Just saying like!
I think "who decides that" is a fair and interesting question - as is the extent to which it is possible to opt out completely and go your own way.

However, when somebody wants to run a business and make a profit from interactions with others within a framework of legally enfoced expectations, they are very much signing up to one of society's main institutions and are firmly placing themselves in that society.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Laws are laws. You can't chose whether or not to obey them. Some laws are relatively new and are still bedding down ... case law defines the edges. This gets established only over time. That some people adapt slowly to new laws, especially ones which impact morals, personal opinion and religious teaching established for centuries can't be a surprise and ... in truth ... is to be expected.

The emancipation of homosexuals is relatively new. It's barely 40 years ago that it was positively illegal and people could be, and were, arrested and their reputations, social acceptability and even their jobs in many professions forfeit.

It is right and proper that people should not be impacted (negatively or positively) due to their sexuality. Nor their colour, race, religion or gender. But to expect everyone to have moved to that conclusion at the same time and pace as others is, I believe, unrealistic and potentially unfair.

Only this week there was the fuss about a case where a God botherer in Manchester was approached by 2 gay teenagers and asked his views on homosexuality. He answered via his interpretation of the bible. Not necessarily what I may say, but he wasn't offensive or evil in his reported reply. The two guys then went to a policeman and the poor bugger (ha ... see what I did there !?) was oiked and put into the cells. The lads had set him up. The cop was in trouble whatever he did I suspect. If he hadn't acted in some way they would have made a fuss about that. The police simply can't win for losing in cases like this. Their treatment of the guy was heavy handed and unnecessary however.

I DO have some sympathy with B&B owners who invite people into their homes but have a view on who those people are. I can see all sorts of reasons why it's wrong, but I feel they are easy prey to a vocal and active body of liberati who seem intent on impressing their views on others. Just as the B&B owners have a choice, so do the guests ... there are other B&B'S.

However, the simple facts are that the new(ish) laws exist. They must be obeyed. But give people who struggle with them a break. Only 40 years ago THEY were right .... in law.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:26 pm

bobo the clown wrote: Only this week there was the fuss about a case where a
How can you do that to me, cut me off half way. The fuss about a case where a what for feckity fecks sake
:evil:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
How can you do that to me, cut me off half way. The fuss about a case where a what for feckity fecks sake
Probably some Welsh clown got done for something :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
I accidentally pressed 'send'. Is that illegal now ??

Well ???

Is it ? Is it ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:37 pm

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/31/uk ... ul-arrest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paign=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Well ???

Is it ? Is it ???
Yes. Or rather, no, but it should be, and in fifty years time we'll look back and wonder why clowns like you weren't incarcerated and the keys thrown away. Paradigm shifts n'all that. :P
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I DO have some sympathy with B&B owners who invite people into their homes but have a view on who those people are.
Yes - I too am sympathetic about all sorts of disabilities, including being 50 years behind the times.

As such, it is not with any great relish that I would tell B&B owners to accept gay couples or close down - but it has to be done!
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:59 pm

:D

I'm sure there are plenty of people who were around before Health and Safety was a thing and who think that's a load of shite, but I have little sympathy if they don't keep up to date with H&S Regulations. If you run a business, you should be au fait with the law that affects you. (That's not to say I don't have any sympathy at all for a doddery old couple who felt hard done to, but I don't have much - Even if you are all anti-gay who gives a shit if they stay in your hotel, really?!)

The preacher is a different issue. He's not offering a service, he's just a bloke expressing his views. I think it's certainly possible that speaking in public about homosexuality *could* be a public order offence, but it certainly doesn't have to be. Don't know what he actually said, that from the write-up sounds like he said some stuff many people would find a bit backward, but that doesn't make it illegal.
Last edited by Prufrock on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I DO have some sympathy with B&B owners who invite people into their homes but have a view on who those people are.
Yes - I too am sympathetic about all sorts of disabilities, including being 50 years behind the times.

As such, it is not with any great relish that I would tell B&B owners to accept gay couple or close down - but it has to be done!

i don't. B&B owners are still perfectly at liberty to invite or not invite whoever they like into their homes... but as soon as they make a charge, then it is not really an invitation into their home - it is a business transaction and the person is a client in their business - not a guest in their home.

it's not that hard...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
And who decides that?
Just saying like!
I think "who decides that" is a fair and interesting question - as is the extent to which it is possible to opt out and completely and go your own way.

However, when somebody wants to run a business and make a profit from interactions with others within a framework of legally enfoced expectations, they are very much signing up to one of society's main institutions and are firmly placing themselves in that society.
Thank goodness for someone who posts a decent reply without resorting to name calling as Freedmans drone does!
At least mummy thinks past the barriers about just who the hell decides what a fecking society is, more so when we cannot get a simple referendum on the EU, so its hardly the people forming this great society thing is it?
I mean the way we are going is hardly down to the bible or other things, being most is based on things they don't support.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Well ???

Is it ? Is it ???
I have no idea. But it confuddled the hell out of poor Spots. I hope he's recovered!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
And who decides that?
Just saying like!
I think "who decides that" is a fair and interesting question - as is the extent to which it is possible to opt out and completely and go your own way.

Thank goodness for someone who posts a decent reply without resorting to name calling as Freedmans drone does!
At least mummy thinks past the barriers about just who the hell decides what a fecking society is, more so when we cannot get a simple referendum on the EU, so its hardly the people forming this great society thing is it?
I mean the way we are going is hardly down to the bible or other things, being most is based on things they don't support.
We are self policing in general as a society are we not? We vote in who we want, generally set what is acceptable and what is not and that sometimes is reflected in law.

The majority of people realise that discrimination of any group of people is wrong. And like most things as views change society and/or laws reflect that. We can't choose the minutae of every single decision, but broadly society polices itself I'd say.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
And who decides that?
Just saying like!

We are self policing in general as a society are we not? We vote in who we want, generally set what is acceptable and what is not and that sometimes is reflected in law.

The majority of people realise that discrimination of any group of people is wrong. And like most things as views change society and/or laws reflect that. We can't choose the minutae of every single decision, but broadly society polices itself I'd say.
Thats mostly bollocks and you know it!
Do you seriously think that the majority of this great society was behind gay marriage?
Were there millions or hundreds of thousands out on the streets?
Or was it down to a well organised group shouting loudly and proclaiming 'if you don't agree with us your bigots'?
That I think you will find is behind most of societys great ideals.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:55 pm

We might well be getting a referendum on the EU, even though the single issue party who want us to leave have never won a single seat in Parliament.

My problem with the referendum is that I genuinely don't think there's a proper demand for it. Polls always show no-one actually gives a shit. Sure people like a big whinge about it, but it's therapy, they don't care.

Back to the clash of rights issue. It's often said that by stopping, say, a B&B owner imposing their views on others, it becomes one set of people imposing their liberal views on another. In the case of the B&B owners, who was imposing their views on the owners? I don't think the court can be said to be 'imposing a view'. I don't think the couple can either. They weren't trying to 'impose' their homosexuality, they just wanted to rent a room. The law itself? It was imposing a view that service providers cannot discriminate, but is that not a good thing? Beefheart went big with the 'what would you say if someone turned someone away because they were black', but I think it's a comparison that bears the weight of scrutiny. I don't want to live in that society.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thats mostly bollocks and you know it!
Do you seriously think that the majority of this great society was behind gay marriage?
yes.

YouGov poll - May 20th 2013:
Overall, YouGov’s latest poll for the Sunday Times finds that 54% of Britons support ‘changing the law to allow same-sex couples to marry’.
in favour - 54%
against - 37%
don't know - 9%

seems pretty clear.

lonk so you can check: http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/d ... 170513.pdf (page 7)
Last edited by thebish on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.