Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 pm
The Independent produce this "photo"

migrant1-0.png

Do get to fxck.
Yep. The important issue here is The Independent's Pixelation of a photograph showing a dead father and daughter, drowned as they crossed a river in the desperate hope of a decent life.

Glad you've got your priorities in order.
Why pixelate it? Why ruin an image that gives truth to a fact? Pixelating the photograph merely denigrates and trivialises what is a powerful story. It was a fxcking ridiculous pathetic thing to do.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm
So what are you angry about? The Independent publishing it, or the events that led to this tragedy?
Two parts
I was angry about the abuse of journalism in pixelating a photograph that needed no manipulation. The photograph was fine - pixelating it turned it into a farce.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm

Whatever the political arguments, you must be absolutely desperate to risk yours and your children's lives in this way.
Part two:
Whatever the political arguments there are other ways of looking at this rather than desperation. Stupidity comes to mind as one driving force. Lack of education about the dangers of trying to swim across rivers with children wrapped underneath your T-shirt, another. Thirdly, coercion.
Desperation might or might not have come anywhere near it. Personally, I believe Dick Whittington is nearer the mark than the displacement of populations post world war two.
And yes, I understand that sounds cynical when viewing a (unpixelated) photograph of a dead father and child, but I am.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 pm

There is a third part, as well.
Stella Duffy accused Toy Story 4 of being "anti-feminist, disablist, racist and heteronormative". "It's 2019 for Christ's sake" she moaned.
I'm all in agreement. When are we going to see photographs of dead black transvestites with one leg trying to swim the Rio Grande?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37999
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 pm
There is a third part, as well.
Stella Duffy accused Toy Story 4 of being "anti-feminist, disablist, racist and heteronormative". "It's 2019 for Christ's sake" she moaned.
I'm all in agreement. When are we going to see photographs of dead black transvestites with one leg trying to swim the Rio Grande?
I never heard of Stella Duffy. I think that's her problem. What a happy advanced world we live in. :roll:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 pm
There is a third part, as well.
Stella Duffy accused Toy Story 4 of being "anti-feminist, disablist, racist and heteronormative". "It's 2019 for Christ's sake" she moaned.
I'm all in agreement. When are we going to see photographs of dead black transvestites with one leg trying to swim the Rio Grande?
I never heard of Stella Duffy. I think that's her problem. What a happy advanced world we live in. :roll:
I agree. I think being Stella Duffy is a problem. Thankfully I'm not.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19779
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:41 pm

I think the pixelated photo is powerful.

In reality, I think they did it because they don't want to put a photo of a dead man and child on their front "page". Bit I think it pixelating it also makes an important point (intentionally or not) about how the conversation in this area is sanitised and we are protected from the horrors.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:41 pm
I think the pixelated photo is powerful.

In reality, I think they did it because they don't want to put a photo of a dead man and child on their front "page". Bit I think it pixelating it also makes an important point (intentionally or not) about how the conversation in this area is sanitised and we are protected from the horrors.
Really?
After the unpixelated version was already out there, in print too?

I deeply believe the proper real photograph was powerful, and the pixelated version was a pile of piss.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:51 pm

I mean, it's not even a fcking photograph... It's a bunch of coloured squares.
And unless you'd Actually Seen the real photograph, you wouldn't have a clue what the Coloured Squares meant.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19779
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:45 pm

I agree the proper photo is more powerful but I think it's a fair enough editorial decision not to use it, though take your point that the photo is already out there*.

There was a similar debate when the photo of Alan Kurdi, the young boy who drowned a few years ago, was published. I think they're entitled not to want to publish the unredacted photo.

*When you can't remember Alan Kurdi's full name, your initial horror when you realise you've Googled "Alan boy photo" is swiftly knocked aside when the first result is the wiki article alongside the unredacted, heartbreaking photo of him. I totally take the point that pixelating it is swimming against the tide.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:45 pm
I agree the proper photo is more powerful but I think it's a fair enough editorial decision not to use it, though take your point that the photo is already out there*.

There was a similar debate when the photo of Alan Kurdi, the young boy who drowned a few years ago, was published. I think they're entitled not to want to publish the unredacted photo.

*When you can't remember Alan Kurdi's full name, your initial horror when you realise you've Googled "Alan boy photo" is swiftly knocked aside when the first result is the wiki article alongside the unredacted, heartbreaking photo of him. I totally take the point that pixelating it is swimming against the tide.
I think you've just argued very powerfully against the stand that you made.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:18 pm

What's even more tragic is that his name never was, ever, not once in his tiny truncated little life, Alan Kurdi.
He was Mohammed ibn-abd'allah ibn-bakr al-Kobani Shenu.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Seven people have drowned in the UK over the last 48 hours. Are we going to blame Theresa May?
I also note a lack of photographs, pixelated or not. In fact, I note a vast lack of reportage.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Garrett Emmerson is a complete tosspot.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3980
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Enoch » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:06 pm

When I saw the Rio Grande story I passed it by.

Firstly, I have never had the kind of morbid curiosity that has people slowing down to look at road crashes. I have no interest in looking at photos of dead people.

Secondly, folk have been dying in the Rio Grande as they attempt to enter the USA illegally for pretty much as long as the USA has had border control. As a stick to beat Trump with it's about as robust as one of Morrissey's daffodils.

The media get away with so much piss poor programming and journalism. Lazy, sensationalist, biased tosh and folk wonder why populist politicians are polling so well of late.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19779
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Several pieces this week about the 30 year anniversary of the Satanic Verses, an "issue" that continues to utterly baffle me as to how there's even a debate.

Latest is a piece who's general theme was how good it all was because it gave a voice to people who didn't know how to protest and now do so more subtly (by which I assume they mean not threatening and trying to kill authors, and actually killing publishers - subtle).

We then had an interview from a Muslim lady who was introduced as being an author who wrote about mosques and Muslim romance in English villages. She started to talk about how writers should be able to write about anything. We cut to lovely pastoral shots. Lovely. We then get: "but... I do think as a writer you have to accept the consequences of what you write".

Mmhmm. feck right off.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3980
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Enoch » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 pm
Several pieces this week about the 30 year anniversary of the Satanic Verses, an "issue" that continues to utterly baffle me as to how there's even a debate.

Latest is a piece who's general theme was how good it all was because it gave a voice to people who didn't know how to protest and now do so more subtly (by which I assume they mean not threatening and trying to kill authors, and actually killing publishers - subtle).

We then had an interview from a Muslim lady who was introduced as being an author who wrote about mosques and Muslim romance in English villages. She started to talk about how writers should be able to write about anything. We cut to lovely pastoral shots. Lovely. We then get: "but... I do think as a writer you have to accept the consequences of what you write".

Mmhmm. feck right off.

There was a cracking documentary on 2 earlier this year made by a fella name of Mobeen Azhar. If you haven't seen it and get the opportunity, I'd recommend it.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:22 pm

I have a signed copy first edition of Satanic Verses.
Up yours Ayottolah Khameini (and the other dead wanker).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Fxcking Cxntin' HMRC.
Just tried online to get:
A) A tax rebate
And B) a married tax allowance.
Fxcked about entering all the shit I was asked for - birthdays, names, National Insurance numbers, P45 part 1A details, email addresses, mobile phone numbers, postal addresses, Government Gateway Fxcking ID confirmed by fxcking Cxntin' Government Gateway Access Code sent to my mobile by text, password, and fxcking Recovery Word to finally be given a GOVERNMENT GATEWAY USER ID.

And what's the first fxcking thing I'm asked after I've entered all this shit? A FXCKING QUESTION ABOUT MY PASSPORT.
FXCKING CXNTS I DONT HAVE MY PASSPORT ON ME. TITS.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Network Rail. An appalling organisation, staffed at the upper and middle management level by people who know other people, not people who know things.
I can make that statement having worked in the railway industry in this country for seventeen years.
Any inquiry into the latest deaths will not get anywhere near the real culprits.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest