Ask Mar

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Ask Mar

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:16 pm

Saw this on a different forum and thought i'd apply the same thing here.

So, stuck in a dead end job, coursework getting you down, is that special someone beginning to look more and more like they've had the cheese off the mouse trap?

Having problems, come share it with thewanderer and Ask Mar.

Careh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Careh » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:59 pm

I am failing uni and have no aim in life.

Aim me!

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:11 am

Mar: should you play leapfrog with a Unicorn?

I require an answer to this important question.

dan_tbm
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dan_tbm » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:16 am

Can you finish my diss for me? Cheers.
Holder of the coveted 'Most Annoying User Award' 2004/2005.

"Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power."

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:53 pm

Careh,

your misguided nature may lead you astray and onto pastures anew which is all fine and good, but you may find yourself bin deeping deep in tranmere if you proceed without an aim.

my suggestion is to you, aim low, achieve little, be happy and you will live a happy bin-dip free life.

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:04 pm

Mar - what do the following look like?
hyalinsed glomeruli
hypertrophied glomeruli
atrophy of the tubules

i need to label these for coursework and i dont understand!
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:05 pm

Ratbert,

I understand your hesitance for many fear the unicorn. I suggest you start slow, gnomes, dwarves, elves and gain a bit of momentum before attempting the leapfrog with a unicorn.

Only thing you have to ask yourself is, are you ready for it leapfrogging you?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:12 pm

Dan,

I don't think you are a fool, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others

hows that for a diss, there are more if you want them, like:

Brains aren't everything. In fact in your case they're nothing

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:20 pm

Mar wrote:Ratbert,

I understand your hesitance for many fear the unicorn. I suggest you start slow, gnomes, dwarves, elves and gain a bit of momentum before attempting the leapfrog with a unicorn.
but ur not riding me!!!!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:21 pm

Gnome,

I too don't understand, but if you're still struggling at the end of the coursework, blag these (and play leapfrog with ratbert)..

hyalinized arterioles and globally sclerotic glomeruli

Hyalinized arterioles and sclerotic glomeruli.

Atrophy of tubules

While your problem is quite a hard one, detecting what the image extraction retrieves from the image is even harder.

My suggestion is to take the glomeruli, detect where the blood vessels pass from and go to whilst filtering urine from the blood and then actually highlighting that section of the image with a pen or whatever. You'll have the glomeruli, then look over what effects hyalanization (sp?) has and search some them, you may wish to check the normal working of the glomeruli and compare it that way, usually with things like this the differences with the image usually just highlight what it is your looking for, regardless of other problems associated with the body in question.

References:
www.pathology.vcu.edu/ education/renal/lab2.b.html
erl.pathology.iupui.edu/ C603/GENERA1.HTM
erl.pathology.iupui.edu/ C603/GENE664.HTM

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:25 pm

Gnome wrote:
Mar wrote:Ratbert,

but ur not riding me!!!!
My t'other half would cause far more damage than a unicorn if I was!! :grin:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:07 pm

Mar, I've finished all my coursework, and as I have no exams I have effectively graduated from uni. What do I do till my job starts mid june???

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 pm

Dibble - you bastard!!!! :grin:

Mar - thank you, i have already blagged those pics off google myself and discovered they dont really help :cry: but i am battling on! i WILL finish it, i WILL!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:32 pm

dibble,

my courseworks always a good place to start. :roll:

depending on how much money you have left dibble, you might as well enjoy your last days as a student as you'll be wanting them back sooner than you realise.

Careh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Careh » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:46 pm

Mar wrote:my suggestion is to you, aim low, achieve little, be happy.
This actually is my new life motto! Mar wins!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:57 pm

Gnome,

I figured you would've picked them off google. I just needed something to supplement the processes I was describing.

My degree course often leaves me getting stuck on something as simple as a typo and correcting everything else in an effort to sort it out. Sufficet to say its very annoying. Anyway to make it easier and to sort things out its better to look at what is actually making up the thing you are working with.

In IR programs (Image Recognition) the processes that are used for medicinal analyses involve taking a completely healthy state and applying a damaged version over the top of it. What emerges are certain definite objects such as lungs, heart, artrial pathways and so on. What is easy to notice from the damaged version is the difficulty when processing the image, so the program goes off shapes, positional locations, etc. You should try these processes.

After its found the place where its supposed to be it applies the next scan from the previous image and uses object recognition algorithms (much in the same way Optical Character Recognition software works) to do an increased analysis on the object, although the shapes are much harder to detect it gives a rough outline and tries displaying the nearest match it can find.

Due to the unreliability and pretty much fledgling IR programs that are currently out, they're only used as a basis to make it easier on the areas that the doctor needs to focus on.

My suggestion is to you, print off the image (if possible), and remove all the sections that are unneccesary until you've found what exactly your supposed to be looking at. If you can't find an image that you require, look up the definitions and appropriate areas you are focusing on and describe what happens with reference to a completely healthy image. Even if you can't display whats happening you can always make the reader of your assignment believe you know what youre talking about.

If you're still stuck try asking colleagues or friends and describing it to them or asking for help, that usually works for me.

And if you're still stuck for that, think sod it and go and do something more constructive for a bit.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:02 pm

How can i try and get by on the little amount of funds I have>? I already drink leftover pints to extend my night out cash...any other help?

Oh and Gnome - yes I am a bastard

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:19 pm

thanks Mar, i now have my friend's work to 'help' me and i fully intend to give up soon, its only 12% of the module, and while i need all the marks i can get, i cant be arsed anymore :grin:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:39 pm

Dibble,

You're not leaving yourself with easy options here, other than getting a job you can try these simple money saving tools:

The 2nd birthday. Simple, yet effective.

The friendly get together. Drinks are cheaper from the shop and if you set out later, you'll be half wasted anyway.

The forgot my wallet technique, disgraceful yet if you make it up after you've got your job you can probably pull this one off a bit more.

The lady-friends, always an eye-pleaser, get two girls to tease and ask for pints for you, and in reward the pizza faced teen gets to see a lesbian kiss, well, you're onto a good thing especially if they're good looking.

and last but not least..

The money run, got a hat you wish to trade? i'm sure that beggar does!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks Mar you're a true genius :)