Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:42 am

Berlin. Not tonight, but in about four or five months, all being well. To live.

Excited and petrified in equal measure. Ah!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:32 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:42 am

Wow! How long term? Do you speak German well? For work?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:22 am

Screwfix to buy L plates for the newly insured Miss BP! 😬🤞

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:28 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:22 am
Screwfix to buy L plates for the newly insured Miss BP! 😬🤞
Did you not have the list of odd jobs to complete first?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:37 pm

Off to watch Phantom of the Open se soir. I see that The Light is now purely cashless.
Last time I was there when I went to pay for my pick n mix they wouldn't accept my £50 note. Instead I had to pay using two 20s and a 10. 😊
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:37 pm
Off to watch Phantom of the Open se soir. I see that The Light is now purely cashless.
Last time I was there when I went to pay for my pick n mix they wouldn't accept my £50 note. Instead I had to pay using two 20s and a 10. 😊
Not a patron, then? I can understand their discomfort...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:32 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:

Well the company is based out there so indefinitely! Though I'm doing my probation in the UK before I go over. Would rather have some wriggle-room!

I do not speak German but excited to learn! Berlin is quite a cosmopolitan, English-speaking city which is nice, but I wouldn't want to live over there and continually be pointing at a menu and shouting English words loudly.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:36 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 am

I do not speak German but excited to learn! Berlin is quite a cosmopolitan, English-speaking city which is nice, but I wouldn't want to live over there and continually be pointing at a menu and shouting English words loudly.[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, the memories. :D Having bothered to go to night school and take a G.C.S.E in Spanish, it never ceased to amaze me on holiday, just how arrogant some folk sounded being irate because the natives didn't understand English. I'll never forget "Dos eggo's and bacono Manuel" from two continental waggon drivers (honest). A German lady in our hotel one year, was very friendly and chatty till she asked me where in Spain I came from and I told her I was English. She never spoke to me again. Being dark-haired and easily suntanned, I only had to wear a white shirt and somebody was sure to ask me to bring a jug of Sangria..big fun though
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:00 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:32 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:

Well the company is based out there so indefinitely! Though I'm doing my probation in the UK before I go over. Would rather have some wriggle-room!

I do not speak German but excited to learn! Berlin is quite a cosmopolitan, English-speaking city which is nice, but I wouldn't want to live over there and continually be pointing at a menu and shouting English words loudly.
What an exciting opportunity! I loved Berlin when I went a couple (3?4?) years ago. Lovely, positive people. Yes you can get away with speaking English (they love to practise theirs) but it's great to have the opportunity to learn a language as spoken by the natives. Good luck.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:11 pm

Aye, definitely echo that ^. Fantastic city and how exciting to be able to properly explore it and learn the lingo. Get yourself an ST for Hertha too. Wunderbar!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 26, 2022 11:08 pm

Nowhere now. Late cancellation of Nathaniel Ratecliffe and The Night Sweats gig in Leeds due to illness. Bugger.
Have a few more pencilled in though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:26 am

So, I'm having a discussion with a colleague who, like me, loves little more than live music.

The question is this though - are bands now pricing themselves out of gigs?

I'm fully aware that on the back of Spotify etc, concert revenue is now a band's main source of income, however, as I mentioned somewhere else, I wouldn't mind seeing the Stones play at Anfield, but there's no way on Earth I'll be paying over £200 for two of us to sit in a corner of the lower section of The Kop, whilst they're playing at the Anfield Road end.

Also, I understand that bands have been unable to tour for the past two years so now they're coming thick and fast, however, there comes a point when someone like me who is neither flushed nor skint has to choose who to see.

For eg. on the 8th Oct Public Service Broadcasting are playing in Liverpool at £40 a seat, then three nights later, Counting Crows are on at The Apollo for £60 a seat. Again, £200 for the pair of us on tickets alone.

Something I've never understood, btw, is that the bigger the venue, the worse the gig experience, yet the dearer the tickets are.

The first band I ever saw Live was back in 81, also at The Apollo. My ticket was £3.50, which, according to the BoE inflation calculator is now worth £12.36

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:30 am

It is getting ridiculous. Red Hot Chilles were over £100 a pop, standing, and you could be the distance between long on and fine leg away from the stage....I'm not going to say how much I shelled out for Genesis...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:35 am

Not a concert man, mind, but my daughter once asked me to travel to Birmingham with her on a Sunday night to see Robbie Williams in concert. This was back quite a few years and the organisers wanted £75 per ticket. Add fuel and snack stuff and I talked her out of it (means I said no..Come on, John Williams wouldn't have tempted me at the then prices, but Robbie xxxxxxx Williams..please?)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:28 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:26 am
So, I'm having a discussion with a colleague who, like me, loves little more than live music.

The question is this though - are bands now pricing themselves out of gigs?

I'm fully aware that on the back of Spotify etc, concert revenue is now a band's main source of income, however, as I mentioned somewhere else, I wouldn't mind seeing the Stones play at Anfield, but there's no way on Earth I'll be paying over £200 for two of us to sit in a corner of the lower section of The Kop, whilst they're playing at the Anfield Road end.

Also, I understand that bands have been unable to tour for the past two years so now they're coming thick and fast, however, there comes a point when someone like me who is neither flushed nor skint has to choose who to see.

For eg. on the 8th Oct Public Service Broadcasting are playing in Liverpool at £40 a seat, then three nights later, Counting Crows are on at The Apollo for £60 a seat. Again, £200 for the pair of us on tickets alone.

Something I've never understood, btw, is that the bigger the venue, the worse the gig experience, yet the dearer the tickets are.

The first band I ever saw Live was back in 81, also at The Apollo. My ticket was £3.50, which, according to the BoE inflation calculator is now worth £12.36
A couple of weeks ago I went to see Whitesnake, Foreigner and Europe at the 02 in Greenwich. Tickets were £75 each. Parking was £36 and a brandy and coke for Mrs GtE was £11.50 (I drank water at £4.00 a bottle). The doors were due to open at 6:00pm with the first band on at 6.45. They opened the doors at 6:43pm and, after 3 further security checks, we finally got in at 7:15 meaning we only caught the last 15 minutes of Europe (who, by the way, are worth listening to beyond 'The Final Countdown')

So north of £200 to see 2 and 1/3rd bands. Standing.

I think I'm done with arenas.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:11 am

You can also pay £175 a ticket to watch Holograms of Abba... They are charging that much and don't even have the decency to turn up and perform for you
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:44 am

And another thing - bands commemorating the anniversary of the release of an album by playing the whole thing live and in full.

Tomorrow, The Wonderstuff start their 31st Anniversary of Never Loved Elvis UK tour.

Despite them being one of my favourite bands over the years, I'd ask Miles Hunt this: Did you play all of the songs off the album when you toured it 31 years ago? No. And might that be because half of it's shite and not what people were at those gigs to listen to? I think so.

I can understand bands touring a seminal album, but not really this sort of thing. Out of their four original albums I personally rank this one as fourth (It does contain their one major hit single though)

This is another one I won't be going to.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:44 am
And another thing - bands commemorating the anniversary of the release of an album by playing the whole thing live and in full.

Tomorrow, The Wonderstuff start their 31st Anniversary of Never Loved Elvis UK tour.

Despite them being one of my favourite bands over the years, I'd ask Miles Hunt this: Did you play all of the songs off the album when you toured it 31 years ago? No. And might that be because half of it's shite and not what people were at those gigs to listen to? I think so.

I can understand bands touring a seminal album, but not really this sort of thing. Out of their four original albums I personally rank this one as fourth (It does contain their one major hit single though)

This is another one I won't be going to.
:mrgreen:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:03 pm

It’s not just gigs though is it? It’s the cost of everything going up. Helped on youngests school trip to Brighton sealife centre today. Cost £25.50 for each child to go. That’s prohibitive for some, though technically it’s a ‘voluntary donation’. Teacher said last year for the exact same trip it was £18 and that they had been quoted over £1000 this year just to hire a coach down to Brighton (about 35 minutes drive away) for 30 kids. My twins went to Harry Potter world with school the other day, told to take spending money of £15 each. Next week they are off to the Isle of Wight on residential - £25 spending money each, that’s £80 spent on tat in school trip gift shops within a month. We probably won’t be giving them that much each but I’ve been shocked at the recommend amounts and what little it can buy. Even buying the kids an ice cream from the van these days you don’t get much, if any, change out of £5 each.

This thread will be redundant in a year or two as no one will be able to afford to go anywhere. :(

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:11 pm

^^ shocked by the recommended amounts, have you seen the price of booze n tabs?