Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Tonight i should be at the pub but its my 2nd trip aborted in one week. :(

Had a stomach upset when i was supposed to go mid week, and when M-I-L came round to babysit tonight she promptly threw up before i'd got out the door (with same bug?) so sent her back home.

Sigh... Clearly i am not meant to have a social life anymore :(

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Tonight i should be at the pub but its my 2nd trip aborted in one week. :(

Had a stomach upset when i was supposed to go mid week, and when M-I-L came round to babysit tonight she promptly threw up before i'd got out the door (with same bug?) so sent her back home.

You were wearing your Arsenal shirt weren't you?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Tonight i should be at the pub but its my 2nd trip aborted in one week. :(

You were wearing your Arsenal shirt weren't you?
:) no! But the twins were in there's earlier today!

I got to the pub in the end, and was bought chocolate pudding by one of my ex colleagues which made my evening much better (yeah, I'm easily pleased!) :D

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:19 am

Gooner Girl wrote:

I got to the pub in the end, and was bought chocolate pudding by one of my ex colleagues which made my evening much better (yeah, I'm easily pleased!) :D

Tut,tut. Where to start?

Call yourself a teacher - what is edukaschun coming to? :mrgreen:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:32 am

Wandering Willy wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Tut,tut. Where to start?

I teach PE, everyone knows PE teachers are thickos!

Besides, it's late and I'm typing on my mobile (thats a modern thing young people and bobo use to keep in touch, Willy ;)) so gimme a break!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:41 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Tut,tut. Where to start?

Besides, it's late and I'm typing on my mobile (thats a modern thing young people and bobo use to keep in touch, Willy ;)) so gimme a break!
:D
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:45 am

Wandering Willy wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Tut,tut. Where to start?

:D
Deliberate mistake ;)

When i'm typing on my phone i'm not so fussed about grammar and apostrophes! :D

You've got too much time on your hands!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:47 am

Widnes. Playoff rugby. 80 minutes from Old Trafford. Excited

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:21 pm

Went to Chorlton for a pizza at Croma and a drink at Horse and Jockey - its having an Oktoberfest-fest with some guest ales (£5 for a pint of Paulaner though :shock: ). The new tram link from manc is absolutely ideal.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Can't be doing with Chorlton - full of wankers, but the Jockey is quality

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Can't be doing with Chorlton - full of wankers, but the Jockey is quality
My thoughts exactly!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Gooner Girl wrote: Besides, it's late and I'm typing on my mobile (thats a modern thing young people and bobo use to keep in touch, Willy ;)) so gimme a break!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:16 am

Just back from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf at The Octagon.
Having been criticised once this week already by William for excessive hyperbole, you'll just have to believe me when I say that this play actually, somehow, manages to rise above the perennially exceptional standards achieved since Thacker's recruitment. The three of us could only comment on how disturbed each of us felt as we walked back to the car. This from a play that also has no shortage of excellent humour.
The standard of of acting needs to be seen to be believed. I'm completely sold on Margot Leicester anyway, but was just blown away by her performance. I've generally been less impressed (though impressed none the less) with George Irving, but the guy delivers in spades here, as does Keiran Hill (possibly the first time that he's really impressed me) and Tammy Joelle (who I believe must actually be an airhead to be able to play one that well).
It really is a powerful play, but the casting and performances of the four actors delivers it at a level that, given the intimacy of the Octagon, leaves you feeling like you're actually spying / listening in on something that's actually happening.
Couple of things - I note that the ticket prices have gone up by a few Quid. I do hope that that's not the reason for the place only being 4/5ths full. The other one is - does any cast ever get a standing ovation there?
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Just back from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf at The Octagon.
Having been criticised once this week already by William for excessive hyperbole, you'll just have to believe me when I say that this play actually, somehow, manages to rise above the perennially exceptional standards achieved since Thacker's recruitment. The three of us could only comment on how disturbed each of us felt as we walked back to the car. This from a play that also has no shortage of excellent humour.
The standard of of acting needs to be seen to be believed. I'm completely sold on Margot Leicester anyway, but was just blown away by her performance. I've generally been less impressed (though impressed none the less) with George Irving, but the guy delivers in spades here, as does Keiran Hill (possibly the first time that he's really impressed me) and Tammy Joelle (who I believe must actually be an airhead to be able to play one that well).
It really is a powerful play, but the casting and performances of the four actors delivers it at a level that, given the intimacy of the Octagon, leaves you feeling like you're actually spying / listening in on something that's actually happening.
Couple of things - I note that the ticket prices have gone up by a few Quid. I do hope that that's not the reason for the place only being 4/5ths full. The other one is - does any cast ever get a standing ovation there?
So right... All the way... Margot Leicester is doing something beyond special... George Irving is just brilliant from Act Two onwards... Kieron Hill gives his best yet, and Tammy Joelle makes the most of an unforgiving role, and really goes for it in the emotional highs that are possible (like the 'I want a baby' moment...)...

But, mostly, margot leicester, margot leicester, margot leicester... Why is she not world famous?

Have the prices gone up significantly - I know the management was trying to avoid that...

Eeeerrrrmmmm noticed a few standers for a play about Bolton Wanderers in 1923... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:04 am

William the White wrote: So right... All the way... Margot Leicester is doing something beyond special... George Irving is just brilliant from Act Two onwards... Kieron Hill gives his best yet, and Tammy Joelle makes the most of an unforgiving role, and really goes for it in the emotional highs that are possible (like the 'I want a baby' moment...)...

But, mostly, margot leicester, margot leicester, margot leicester... Why is she not world famous?

Have the prices gone up significantly - I know the management was trying to avoid that...

Eeeerrrrmmmm noticed a few standers for a play about Bolton Wanderers in 1923... :wink:
That's what I just don't understand, why is she not world famous? She's not even widely recognised in Britain. It's ridiculous.

Prices seem to have gone up by a couple of quid, but let's put that into context. The dearest tickets last night were £23.50 inc £1 booking fee (if you just pitch up on spec do you get to avoid this ludicrous charge levied as a 'convenience charge' for booking over the interweb?) for, in total, 2 & 3/4 hours of sheer brilliance. It's still an incredibly good deal.

:D You're right, I saw a few standers for that too, but, despite having seen some incredible performances no-one ever normally stands. Still, the level of applause last night was such that the cast were all grinning as they left the stage.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote: So right... All the way... Margot Leicester is doing something beyond special... George Irving is just brilliant from Act Two onwards... Kieron Hill gives his best yet, and Tammy Joelle makes the most of an unforgiving role, and really goes for it in the emotional highs that are possible (like the 'I want a baby' moment...)...

That's what I just don't understand, why is she not world famous? She's not even widely recognised in Britain. It's ridiculous.

Prices seem to have gone up by a couple of quid, but let's put that into context. The dearest tickets last night were £23.50 inc £1 booking fee (if you just pitch up on spec do you get to avoid this ludicrous charge levied as a 'convenience charge' for booking over the interweb?) for, in total, 2 & 3/4 hours of sheer brilliance. It's still an incredibly good deal.

:D You're right, I saw a few standers for that too, but, despite having seen some incredible performances no-one ever normally stands. Still, the level of applause last night was such that the cast were all grinning as they left the stage.
I guess the answer is that she's spent most of her career in theatre - and at a high level - National Theatre, Royal Shakespeare Co, West End. But only a solid TV career wins you attention (Sue Johnston, say), or a film career (Kate Winslett, say). Margot Leicester has done quite a bit of that, but not enough (I suspect her choice) to make a massive impact on the public consciousness... But it's fantastic to have her in Bolton!!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:29 pm

William the White wrote:But it's fantastic to have her in Bolton!!!
Of course it is, but do you not feel, like me, somehow selfish when you see her perform?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Of course it is, but do you not feel, like me, somehow selfish when you see her perform?
All My Sons, Ghosts, Virginia Woolf... I feel privileged to have seen those performances here in Bolton... [Though I've seen her acting since the mid 1970s - the first was in the Merchant of Venice, playing Portia, brilliantly, of course, in Manchester]... but selfish?

I've only worked with her twice - she was in a short stage play called It's a Bobby's Jobin 1980 at the Duke's in Lancaster, directed by David Thacker - got great reviews - and she played the lead in a Radio 3 play of mine called Listening for the Singing... she asked the most searching questions of any actor I've worked with... because she wanted to do it right...

It was great - and a privilege - to work with her...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
luvvie! :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:27 am

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
All My Sons, Ghosts, Virginia Woolf... I feel privileged to have seen those performances here in Bolton... [Though I've seen her acting since the mid 1970s - the first was in the Merchant of Venice, playing Portia, brilliantly, of course, in Manchester]... but selfish?

I've only worked with her twice - she was in a short stage play called It's a Bobby's Jobin 1980 at the Duke's in Lancaster, directed by David Thacker - got great reviews - and she played the lead in a Radio 3 play of mine called Listening for the Singing... she asked the most searching questions of any actor I've worked with... because she wanted to do it right...

It was great - and a privilege - to work with her...
I'm sure it must've been, and it is, as you say, fantastic to have her in Bolton. I just feel that in doing so a considerably wider audience is being denied, hence the 'selfish' comment.