Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by William the White » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:13 pm

First night of Hobson's Choice at th'Octagon. Nice to see the Lancashire classic still going after 100 years...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:24 pm

William the White wrote:First night of Hobson's Choice at th'Octagon. Nice to see the Lancashire classic still going after 100 years...
Wey hey -I'm there tonight too.
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Hobson's Choice is excellent. Very funny. Absolute Lancashire Comedy Gold. The central trio of characters, Hobson, his rebellious daughter, Maggie and her reluctant husband to be, Willy, are cast pretty near perfectly.

The audience laughed loudly, and loved its sentimental moments as well as the comedy.

Recommend.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 pm

William the White wrote:Hobson's Choice is excellent. Very funny. Absolute Lancashire Comedy Gold. The central trio of characters, Hobson, his rebellious daughter, Maggie and her reluctant husband to be, Willy, are cast pretty near perfectly.

The audience laughed loudly, and loved its sentimental moments as well as the comedy.

Recommend.
I'll be going to see it. Saw a very good amateur production with a mate playing Will a few years back, been looking forward to seeing it at the Octagon.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
William the White wrote:Hobson's Choice is excellent. Very funny. Absolute Lancashire Comedy Gold. The central trio of characters, Hobson, his rebellious daughter, Maggie and her reluctant husband to be, Willy, are cast pretty near perfectly.

Recommend.
I'll be going to see it. Saw a very good amateur production with a mate playing Will a few years back, been looking forward to seeing it at the Octagon.
Let us know what you think of the performance of the guy playing Hobson in the first act will you, mate? From my distant memories of studying Hobson's Choice in 4th Form, Hobson was a selfish, egotistical, self-opinionated and utterly obnoxious tosser of a man. When I saw it last night I thought that either the actor playing him fell short, or that my take on the character was too demanding. However, beyond that he was gripping, and funny, as were all the cast. Man of the Match though has to go to the lad playing Will Mossop. Absolutely brilliant.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:14 am

Off to see another of my favourites brought to the stage tonight, ‘Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas’ at the Vault Festival in Waterloo. Adapted by Lou Stein. Should be fun.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:44 am

Went to see Frank Skinners new stand-up show at the Leicester Sq theatre. he's toned down the filth from his earlier years but still terrific. cracking venue for comedy that.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Spent yesterday and today in the british library. First time i've been in the readers rooms. awesome.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Spent yesterday and today in the british library. First time i've been in the readers rooms. awesome.
I've had a reader's ticket for nearly thirty years now, and I still get goosebumps when I go in the big circular one.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:25 pm

In order to celebrate Hristo Stoichkov's birthday, 'moff to see Moderat in Glasgow tomorrow. Only the band that Leftfield could have been...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Tomorrow the glorious, brilliant Renee Fleming sings the lead in Dvorak's Rusalka, live from the NY Met...

At last the opera season from New York gets going... :D

At a Cineworld somewhere near you... (And probably other cinemas also!).

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:57 pm

William the White wrote:Tomorrow the glorious, brilliant Renee Fleming sings the lead in Dvorak's Rusalka, live from the NY Met...

At last the opera season from New York gets going... :D

At a Cineworld somewhere near you... (And probably other cinemas also!).
The opera was much, much better than the football. And helped to soothe the anger and disappointment.

Beautiful. Dvorak such a lush composer. Renee Fleming arguably the greatest soprano currently singing.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Frank Turner at Manchester arena. Just arrived. Should be good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Enjoy dude, I'm at the o2 next Weds for the same.

I also found out yesterday that he lives in one of the houses that backs onto mine. Going to try very hard not to stalk him.

Although the first sentence of that line looks like I already do.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Just looked up Frank Turner. :conf: :oops:

EDIT: How incredibly average, if that! Is he he playing these big venues as the support act? If not then it's a fecking poor do! :shock:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Couldn't disagree more Bruce. Testament to his talent that a guy playing his kind of music can fill these venues. Flogging Molly just finished. Not bad but nothing special, finished with a few good ones though including the excellent 'if I leave this world alive' which featured in The Shield and is the only reason I'd heard of them before.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:43 am

Excellent show, really gets the crowd involved and the songs lend themselves to a good singalong. Made a little speech about his surprise to have ended up playing such a big venue before he launched into 'Prufrock...', sort of thing a cynic might scoff at but for those who know a bit about him was totally genuine.
He also did a balls-out rendition of The Road, which was the first song I heard of his on the radio.
Enjoyed every minute, first time I've seen him and just as good as I expected. A truly charismatic performer who i expect to see many more times.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:05 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Excellent show, really gets the crowd involved and the songs lend themselves to a good singalong. Made a little speech about his surprise to have ended up playing such a big venue before he launched into 'Prufrock...', sort of thing a cynic might scoff at but for those who know a bit about him was totally genuine.
He also did a balls-out rendition of The Road, which was the first song I heard of his on the radio.
Enjoyed every minute, first time I've seen him and just as good as I expected. A truly charismatic performer who i expect to see many more times.

I saw Frank Turner back in December. He was one of a series of guests for Ginger Wildheart's Birthday Bash at the Koko, Camden. Other luminaries included Rat Scabies, Beki Bondage, Starz and one of the von Hertzen brothers to name a few.

Interesting evening. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 0604,d.ZGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Enjoy his set? I went to the Wildhearts anniversary gig at The Academy with a mate who is a big fan. Never really listened to them, but enjoyed the gig. Ginger played at the Dog and Partridge solo a couple of years ago believe it or not.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:17 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Enjoy his set? I went to the Wildhearts anniversary gig at The Academy with a mate who is a big fan. Never really listened to them, but enjoyed the gig. Ginger played at the Dog and Partridge solo a couple of years ago believe it or not.

I do believe it. He did a Pledge album called 555% a couple of years ago. Part of the package was a meet and greet with Ginger at the D&P. I was talking to the guy in X Records when I was up at Christmas and he told me Ginger is in there all the time. Don't know if he lives in the area now......