Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:26 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:06 pm
Something a bit different. A candlelight concert, where they're violinning 80's/90's rave at Manchester Cathedral. Can't decide whether to take E's or some sort of psalms...
Both. No greater love hath Worthy 😁
In fairness mate, both might have improved it...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:44 am

Not tonight but last week (had a bit of a shit one so just catching up) Mrs GtE and I went to watch The Ocean at the End of the Lane at The Lowry. Originally a book by Neil Gaiman it's been adapted for stage and, after a stint in the West End, it's now oop North. Don't know how long for but get there if you can. Visually stunning, a proper 'edge of seat' job.

A mixture of sci-fantasy, horror and good old fashioned thriller. Loved it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:01 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:44 am
Not tonight but last week (had a bit of a shit one so just catching up) Mrs GtE and I went to watch The Ocean at the End of the Lane at The Lowry. Originally a book by Neil Gaiman it's been adapted for stage and, after a stint in the West End, it's now oop North. Don't know how long for but get there if you can. Visually stunning, a proper 'edge of seat' job.

A mixture of sci-fantasy, horror and good old fashioned thriller. Loved it.
Morag and I were talking about this one only the other day with a view to booking in early Jan.
I'll pass on your remarks and gerrit booked ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:16 pm

I'd really like to go and see Roger Waters on his forthcoming tour, but tickets start at £100 a pop for the shitiest seats in the house at The Arena. Really?

It's being billed as his 'Farewell Tour', which of course increases the desire to see him perform, but basically, for half decent seats it's going to cost £300 for the two of us, to watch a bloke with an estimated worth of $310 million, for a couple of hours? I don't think I can justify that.

I perfectly understand that a lot of bands/artists now command the greater part of their income through live shows and sales of merchandise thanks to Spotify etc. However, there really does come a point at which people are generally going to play the 'you're taking the piss' card.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:49 pm

I've been contemplating that one, too...but like yourself, I've not yet bothered.. (that and I think it actually said "first" farewell tour) and I've seen him previously...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:02 pm

Hold on...I thought you really didn't like Pink Floyd? :-)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:49 am

If it helps I've seen him twice. Once at the London 02 for 'The Wall' which was simply magnificent. The last time was him alone in Hyde Park which was a selection of Floyd and Solo stuff. What should have been a celebration of some of the best music ever written (IMO) turned into a political rally interspersed with a few tunes. My friend left about an hour before the end. Avoid. Go see the Australian Pink Floyd or Brit Floyd instead.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:57 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:02 pm
I'm not all that keen on their post-Waters stuff is all :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:02 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:49 am
If it helps I've seen him twice. Once at the London 02 for 'The Wall' which was simply magnificent. The last time was him alone in Hyde Park which was a selection of Floyd and Solo stuff. What should have been a celebration of some of the best music ever written (IMO) turned into a political rally interspersed with a few tunes. My friend left about an hour before the end. Avoid. Go see the Australian Pink Floyd or Brit Floyd instead.
Interesting. Cheers. Saw the Australian Pink Floyd some years ago. They were excellent.

Conversely, talking of political rallies, my brothers and I went to see Boomtown Rats in 2013. We'd agreed on the way there that as soon as Geldof got on his soap box, that'd be it, we'd be off. Amazingly he didn't, not once. Much to our delight and amazement they just stuck to playing all the good stuff from their first three albums.

Oh, and whilst you're on, we're off to see 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:38 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:02 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Interesting. Cheers. Saw the Australian Pink Floyd some years ago. They were excellent.

Conversely, talking of political rallies, my brothers and I went to see Boomtown Rats in 2013. We'd agreed on the way there that as soon as Geldof got on his soap box, that'd be it, we'd be off. Amazingly he didn't, not once. Much to our delight and amazement they just stuck to playing all the good stuff from their first three albums.

Oh, and whilst you're on, we're off to see 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it goes.
Excellent. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:46 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Yeah, seen him a couple of times too. Not experienced solo/rally stuff just a couple of hours of Floyd goodness.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:57 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:02 pm
I'm not all that keen on their post-Waters stuff is all :)
Gotcha. Not unreasonable. :-)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

What did you think?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:25 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:10 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

What did you think?
Regarding the whole fantasy and myth element of the storyline, that part was never really going to be my thing, but I knew that anyway - I lack both the inclination, fascination or even imagination. However, for anyone who's into Tolkien and Rowley etc, I'd have thought this must be right up their street.
However, as a piece of theatre, this is right up there, in fact, visually, I'd say it's probably the best thing performed live on a stage that I've ever seen (and I include the musicals and opera in that). Absolutely breath-taking stuff. The 'Warhorse' type puppetry in a couple of scenes (is it the same company?) was just incredible, as was the entire cast (who clearly have a lot of trust in each other) throughout.
Plenty of HTF did they do that then? moments too. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:44 pm

As to your original post, Brucie...I was just curiosity browsing after saying to a mate "no one I want to see really." Pete Gabriel £130+....Coldplay, starting from £331...it's fcuked.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:27 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:44 pm
As to your original post, Brucie...I was just curiosity browsing after saying to a mate "no one I want to see really." Pete Gabriel £130+....Coldplay, starting from £331...it's fcuked.
Agreed. Far too expensive.Having recently moved back to the area I'm rediscovering the area and finding some lovely little venues around the area. I've been to Rebellion and Gorilla in Manchester, the Old Courts in Wigan (great for live music AND provincial theatre), The Lowry and Manchester Academy

So far this year I've lined up:

Robert Jon and the Wreck - The Met, Bury - 12th Feb £22
The Answer - Waterloo Bar, Blackpool - 16th Mar £24.50
Blackberry Smoke - Academy 2 Manchester 2nd April £27.50
Massive Wagons - Academy 2 Manchester 18th April £20.00

All local, reasonably priced and rocking. The only BIG venue gig I'm doing this year is Iron Maiden and that's only because I've never seen them 'indoors'. They are £75 a ticket but their stage show is off the scale.

There are also a number of tribute acts that very closely replicate the sound of the original recording artist. Very closely. I recommend the ELO Experience highly and, as I said earlier, Brit Floyd

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:28 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:27 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:44 pm
Agreed. Far too expensive.Having recently moved back to the NW I'm rediscovering and finding some lovely little venues around the area. I've been to Rebellion and Gorilla in Manchester, the Old Courts in Wigan (great for live music AND provincial theatre), The Lowry and Manchester Academy

So far this year I've lined up:

Robert Jon and the Wreck - The Met, Bury - 12th Feb £22
The Answer - Waterloo Bar, Blackpool - 16th Mar £24.50
Blackberry Smoke - Academy 2 Manchester 2nd April £27.50
Massive Wagons - Academy 2 Manchester 18th April £20.00

All local, reasonably priced and rocking. The only BIG venue gig I'm doing this year is Iron Maiden and that's only because I've never seen them 'indoors'. They are £75 a ticket but their stage show is off the scale.

There are also a number of tribute acts that very closely replicate the sound of the original recording artist. Very closely. I recommend the ELO Experience highly and, as I said earlier, Brit Floyd

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:34 am

Coldplay at £331 - you don't even get a seat!

In fairness, I spend most of my "gigging time" just listening to local acts near by these days and the odd one at the Academy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:27 pm

How can anyone like Coldplay enough to pay £300+ to watch them live?! Like, who *loves* Coldplay? Who are these people?!

I mean there's no-one on earth I'd pay that for tbf, but COLDPLAY?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:27 pm
How can anyone like Coldplay enough to pay £300+ to watch them live?! Like, who *loves* Coldplay? Who are these people?!

I mean there's no-one on earth I'd pay that for tbf, but COLDPLAY?
Look. I'd had beer, was talking to a mate and discussing who might be coming up for a gig, and there they were (I was actually looking for the Peter Gabriel tickets.), M'Lud. They were presented to me on Ticketmaster, which is when I observed the ticket price. That's what I'm sticking to....

Although I quite like a couple of songs off Parachutes :D