Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:19 pm

It's costing me £70 or thereabouts to see Counting Crows for the umpteenth time this Tuesday. That said, Counting Crows at the Apollo is quite an experience.

It was £39 each to go to The Octagon last week. Previously I've tried to support it by watching pretty much whatever play they put on, but at that price I'll be more selective from here on in.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:19 pm
It's costing me £70 or thereabouts to see Counting Crows for the umpteenth time this Tuesday. That said, Counting Crows at the Apollo is quite an experience.

It was £39 each to go to The Octagon last week. Previously I've tried to support it by watching pretty much whatever play they put on, but at that price I'll be more selective from here on in.
On a similar theme, Ticketmaster is moving towards "demand-based pricing" that's probably me not bothering with "big gigs" anymore...

No ticket pricing being published, so the price "floats" with the demand....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:17 pm

It was 1979 when this young punk first set eyes on Generation X on Top of the Pops performing their risible 'King Rocker'. More pertinently it was also the first time I'd ever caught sight of the ersatz punk, Billy Idol, and thought to myself - who the feck's this absolute tosser? It's a feeling that lives with me to this day, and one which I revisited the first time I saw Razorlight.
Anyway, as befits his deluded state, Mr Idol's currently touring Britain's (chiefly empty) arenas.
I noted that he's being supported by Killing Joke, so I priced up tickets thinking I'll watch Killing Joke then sneak out before King Knobber turns up with his rebel yell etc.
Get this - tickets start at £55 and go up to £93, but hey, seats are available anywhere you feel like sitting, basically.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:03 pm

Springsteen tickets were £109 each. It's a lot but could have been worse with this surge bollocks. But they doing it to help the honest punter and discourage touts don't you know Worthy? Lying feck*.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:03 pm
Springsteen tickets were £109 each. It's a lot but could have been worse with this surge bollocks. But they doing it to help the honest punter and discourage touts don't you know Worthy? Lying feck*.
What I would say, LeverEnd, and I do know that despite you not being particularly musical, that you do appreciate decent musicians, is that you'll get to see Nils Lofgren play guitar. Just soak it up, mate. He's off the fecking scale.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:54 pm

Ohh it's all for our benefit? Why didn't they just make that plain!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:40 pm

I'm waiting to see what the Iron Maiden tickets will go on sale for this Friday. I've never seen them in an enclosed space (but twice at Monsters of Rock - Donnington). If I can get tickets for less than £75 I'll be astounded. But it may also be the last chance to see them with their full stage show; we're none of us getting younger.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:24 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:40 pm
I'm waiting to see what the Iron Maiden tickets will go on sale for this Friday. I've never seen them in an enclosed space (but twice at Monsters of Rock - Donnington). If I can get tickets for less than £75 I'll be astounded. But it may also be the last chance to see them with their full stage show; we're none of us getting younger.
Saw them at The Nynex in 2017. Didn't know a single song they played, but they certainly know how to put on an excellent show.

They're also the masters of marketing. I must have been one of only a handful of people there who wasn't wearing an Iron Maiden something or other.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:24 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Saw them at The Nynex in 2017. Didn't know a single song they played, but they certainly know how to put on an excellent show.

They're also the masters of marketing. I must have been one of only a handful of people there who wasn't wearing an Iron Maiden something or other.
Seen them a few times, from UMIST (before they were "famous"), Apollo on their first support and headline tours. Last seen mid-noughties, missing those early days magic and edge from DiAnno and Co for the more gritty version

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:18 pm

That Maiden gig Bruce and I went to in 2017 was £65 I think, which I thought was a lot at the time. £75 would be ok. Any more and I'll stick with Ey Up Maiden at the Duck and Drake.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:47 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:38 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Seen them a few times, from UMIST (before they were "famous"), Apollo on their first support and headline tours. Last seen mid-noughties, missing those early days magic and edge from DiAnno and Co for the more gritty version
First two albums were the best for me. Post punk/ Metal angst from Di Anno was excellent. Dickinson took it to a new level though and they have definitely milked the Sci-Fi metal genre for all it's worth. Blaze Bailey? Not so much. :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:10 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:47 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:38 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

First two albums were the best for me. Post punk/ Metal angst from Di Anno was excellent. Dickinson took it to a new level though and they have definitely milked the Sci-Fi metal genre for all it's worth. Blaze Bailey? Not so much. :mrgreen:
It's really a bit like Triggers Broom. I don't dislike Maiden with Dickinson, but it's not the same Maiden - a bit like replacing Johnny Rotten with Kylie, Pete Gabriel with Phil Collins, Dio with Graham fcuking Bonnett....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 am

My mate saw Dianno a few years ago with his band. Someone kept shouting for Maiden songs, until he threatened to jump in the crowd 'rip his head off and shit down his neck'. :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 am
My mate saw Dianno a few years ago with his band. Someone kept shouting for Maiden songs, until he threatened to jump in the crowd 'rip his head off and shit down his neck'. :lol:
Yeah - that was his view from the moment he was booted out of Maiden...Good to see the spirit still lives!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:10 am

It's really a bit like Triggers Broom. I don't dislike Maiden with Dickinson, but it's not the same Maiden - a bit like replacing Johnny Rotten with Kylie, Pete Gabriel with Phil Collins, Dio with Graham fcuking Bonnett....
I know what you mean. I've seen the Stranglers with and without Hugh Cornwell. Without him, and despite the other three original members being on stage, it was still like watching a tribute band. Read also, Big Country without Stuart Adamson.

Conversely, I've seen SLF when they were down to one original member, but just so long as that original member's Jake Burns then it's still SLF.

The Stranglers btw are now down to one original member, and he's the bass player. I'd say that they've now passed Trigger's broom territory and are far closer to becoming the Ship of Theseus.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:59 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:18 pm
That Maiden gig Bruce and I went to in 2017 was £65 I think, which I thought was a lot at the time. £75 would be ok. Any more and I'll stick with Ey Up Maiden at the Duck and Drake.
I see that the presale starts today. Has anyone had a look?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:59 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Thought it was tomorrow!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:49 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:46 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:59 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Thought it was tomorrow!
Just looking on one site. Cheapest Manchester tickets (Standing) £202.80 + 2.50 handling fee. Each.

So they can Fvck off.

Currently 3 presale sites going. There'll be none left for general sale. And certainly none under£75.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:00 pm

That's floating vs demand for ya! ridiculous.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:00 pm
That's floating vs demand for ya! ridiculous.
I'm off to see Massive Wagons at the Sugarhouse in Lancaster on Sunday. Great band with a solid following. Should be a cracker.

December is Planet Rockstock in South Wales. Three days of solid classic and new Heavy Rock. In a caravan park. Was brilliant last year.