Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:30 pm

thebish wrote:tonight I am mostly going to Dagenham
Are you mostly sure that's a good idea?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
tonight I am mostly sure it is not a good idea...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:58 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
tonight I am mostly sure it is not a good idea...
Ask if they've any cheese rolls left. I dare you, I double dare you! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Bar Lane Bowling Club

Its gonna get messy
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:37 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Bar Lane Bowling Club

Its gonna get messy
I was there a few weeks ago - a mate of mine's band were playing there. Carlsberg Export's tuppence a bucket. Get messy! :pissed:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Which is why I'm a member :)
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:01 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Which is why I'm a member :)
When I finally get round to moving back home - I shall be too, my friend. And messy we'll a-get! :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:25 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:Finally going to see GHOSTS at the Octagon.

YES!!!!
I say that you're in for a treat, Clapton less so.

I look forward to your review, William. Have a fantastic evening.
First, i was really pleased to be there, despite the fact that i was next to two people who felt it ok to munch feckin chocolates throughout, and unbelievably, the guy going out for a refill of the lager and a wine for me bird as the second act was coming to its climactic end, and then leaving ten minutes before the end after a heavily whispered conversation, being forced by the front of house staff to stop texting etc... what did they get out of their evening at the theatre? :conf:

All My Sons the better play. And the better production. Not Ibsen's best (which, IMHO is An Enemy of the People). In this play the moral dilemmas are not as alive - we are very aware, in the time of AIDS, of sexual/hereditary disease and death, so the moral challenge of the play doesn't truly resonate now. The family life does though, i think - how women hide living with hell on earth with a worthless man still rings true, and how much children matter, and how terrible to send them away and then lose them. But mostly, and I'm absolutely with Bruce on this, the production rings because no-one does brave, truthful emotional power like Margot Leicester, and the last act of the play is stunning because of her.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:54 am

William the White wrote: First, i was really pleased to be there, despite the fact that i was next to two people who felt it ok to munch feckin chocolates throughout, and unbelievably, the guy going out for a refill of the lager and a wine for me bird as the second act was coming to its climactic end, and then leaving ten minutes before the end after a heavily whispered conversation, being forced by the front of house staff to stop texting etc... what did they get out of their evening at the theatre? :conf:

All My Sons the better play. And the better production. Not Ibsen's best (which, IMHO is An Enemy of the People). In this play the moral dilemmas are not as alive - we are very aware, in the time of AIDS, of sexual/hereditary disease and death, so the moral challenge of the play doesn't truly resonate now. The family life does though, i think - how women hide living with hell on earth with a worthless man still rings true, and how much children matter, and how terrible to send them away and then lose them. But mostly, and I'm absolutely with Bruce on this, the production rings because no-one does brave, truthful emotional power like Margot Leicester, and the last act of the play is stunning because of her.
Some people are just not meant to be in a theatre! About six seats from me and at a slight angle, were a middle aged couple. The man had a terrible cough, one of those chesty ones that nag at you. He battled bravely to stiffle it and managed very well all the way through the first act. Ten minutes into the second act it was obviously worse but he was still trying. I saw him purse his lips and then shudder with a chest spasm. He let out an enormous farting sound through his lips and then actually said 'Doh!' as he rushed up the steps out of the theatre leaving his wife alone. We never saw him again. Not his fault, the poor chap - I felt for him - but he could have done what you did and delayed for a week.

I thoroughly agree with you about Margot Leicester. She was head and shoulders above the other cast members. Also agree that All My Sons was the better production. That is where it suffered for me, by having them both back to back and seeing both in such a short space of time with even the same cast members. Way too much raw angst and shouty bits on display for me but on reflection I really did enjoy both productions.

Long wait now to the end of February for Midsummers but we'll no doubt visit The Lowry or The Royal Exchange or the Library in the interim.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:35 am

Good point. It's about time they did theatre's up a bit. I'd recommend hot dog sellers with beer pumps on their backs heading up and down the aisles at regular intervals shouting "Chilli Dogs - Get yer chilli dogs 'ere"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:47 pm

When I watched Ghosts, there was enough coughing going on, I thought, to disrupt the play, but the cast never flinched the once. Interesting - the couple with the chocolate. As I wrote, there was a school party sat behind us that, against my expectations, were absolutely as good as gold.
I've seen them selling bags of chocolate in the foyer though and questioned the appropriateness of them selling food items in crinkly wrappers.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it William. I too preferred All My Sons, but thoroughly enjoyed both. I also take on board Clapton's point about running the two back to back, but would suggest that we enjoy being spoiled whilst we can. After all, I reckon that I'd even enjoy watching Margot Leicester reading out the telephone directory.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Ive got the shakes so Im going to the pub as soon as I get out of here.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 pm

In this thread, SJM has indicated he has gone/intended to go to these places:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:I think I might have a change and go to the pub.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Might go for a drink. Watch footy.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:I reckon I'll visit the local. Is there any footy on?
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Gonna go to the boozer.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Shoulder of Mutton I reckon.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Im goin pub.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Ive got the shakes so Im going to the pub as soon as I get out of here.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see a bit of a pattern here...

:wink:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Holland.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Verbal wrote:In this thread, SJM has indicated he has gone/intended to go to these places:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:I think I might have a change and go to the pub.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Might go for a drink. Watch footy.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:I reckon I'll visit the local. Is there any footy on?
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Gonna go to the boozer.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Shoulder of Mutton I reckon.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Im goin pub.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Ive got the shakes so Im going to the pub as soon as I get out of here.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see a bit of a pattern here...

:wink:
Nah. I dont see it. Is it footy?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Today I went to London for the Guardian Student Media Conference. A more informative, intriguing and down right awesome day I havent had for a while.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Verbal wrote:Today I went to London for the Guardian Student Media Conference. A more informative, intriguing and down right awesome day I havent had for a while.
That sound fantastic. Tell us more!

And check out the latest pages of the Great Art Debate - the discussion is partly on the ukrainian sand artist you posted on months ago :D

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:43 am

Verbal wrote:Today I went to London for the Guardian Student Media Conference. A more informative, intriguing and down right awesome day I havent had for a while.
Where's Al qaeda when you need them?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:54 am

The pub, probably.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:07 am