Garcia Marquez offer back

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Garcia Marquez offer back

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Puskas wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Hobinho wrote:
ratbert wrote:
Hobinho wrote: I'll pass again if its alright with you William.

Does anyone know if Jeffery Archers retired?
Thought 'Janet and John' was more your level...
Cheeky! I read some real highbrow stuff, I've just finished the "world according to Clarkson" and its the funniest book ever!
HAHAHAH.
I think he means "funny peculiar"
No funny as in side splitingly funny! and really touching in parts when he likens putting Concorde away for good like locking up your favourite dog and never going back, ever!
Or trying to shoot a fox in the dead of night while rolling drunk.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:54 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
William the White wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:I bought these first time round.

Am currently reading 'In Evil Hour'
How many have you managed so far enfield?
To be honest this is the first. Question to those who have read it. Is there a prequel?

The story is around an South American town split and resentful after an obviously bloody civil conflict, but no references are made as to when and what occurred.

He builds characters well and I find myself liking the Mayor and the Priest, more that the petty-minded villagers, in spite of their influence and power. There go my working class ideals! :mrgreen:
Many of his novels are set in 'Macondo' - a regional town, often unnamed, on a river, at a time after civil war, often under military or dictatorial rule, rotting in bureaucracy, with ruling families and the poor, priest-soaked, lot of sexual desire and 'misbehaviour', death lurking, often violent, during times when it seems that nothing can change but everything needs to, with rich foreigners and implied massacres... I can't remember 'In Evil Hour' clearly, over 20 years since i read it, but a lot of his work is self-referential, the same characters emerge, events are referred to over again, particularly civil war, and military leaders, like Colonel/General Aureliano Buendia, revolutionary leader and brigand. There is no prequel as such - but 'Macondo' makes its first appearance (I think) in 100 years of Solitude, which was my starting point for Marquez and the book that ensured him the Nobel prize... In summary - his two major themes are the impossibility and cost of being Latin American and retaining human dignity and the equal impossibility/cost of being in love...

Magnificent...

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:03 pm

Hobinho wrote: No funny as in side splitingly funny! and really touching in parts when he likens putting Concorde away for good like locking up your favourite dog and never going back, ever!
OMG!!!!!! Did Clarkson's dog explode mid-air killing scores of German tourists? Must have missed that one!!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Hobinho wrote: No funny as in side splitingly funny! and really touching in parts when he likens putting Concorde away for good like locking up your favourite dog and never going back, ever!
OMG!!!!!! Did Clarkson's dog explode mid-air killing scores of German tourists? Must have missed that one!!!
Lippy! how many "soulless" Airbuses have smashed out or boeings gone bong?
There's plenty more queue jumpers and sun bed hogger s out there.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 pm

oh, enfield, your question made me research the opus and i found, to my amazement, that 'Macondo' was the location for Marquez's first published novella 'Leaf Storm'... So i was quite wrong in ascribing this to '100 years'...

So, almost certainly, In Evil Hour, another early work, is set in 'Macondo' - I'm going to dig it out and reread! :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:52 pm

I thought this guy was Posh!!!!!! Sounds like the BFG to me :conf:

A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings is a short story that begins with a husband and wife, Pelayo and Elisenda, finding a very old man in their courtyard during a stormy afternoon. They watch in astonishment the enormous wings attached to the body of the old man as he struggles to get up from the mud. The couple attempts to communicate with the old man but are unable to as he speaks in a different language. Their neighbor comes over and lets them know that the old man is an angel who has come to take their sick child. Pelayo locks the angel in a chicken coop overnight. Early next morning the local priest, Father Gonzaga, with the rest of the community in town, tests the old man to determine whether he is really an angel, with debated results. Elisenda, tired of having the community at her house, decides to charge an entrance fee to see the angel. The family becomes rich and builds a mansion with the money collected. The crowd soon loses interest in the angel as another freak has arrived in the community. The new town attraction is a woman who disobeyed her parents when she was young and was transformed into a tarantula, and now tells her misfortunes to the audience. In order for her to continue telling her stories, the people of the town tossed meatballs into her mouth as it was "her only means of nourishment." Meanwhile, no longer trapped in the chicken coop, the angel is free to roam around the house until one day he leaves the house and flies off away into the distance.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:53 pm

The Twits is a good read.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Hobinho wrote:I thought this guy was Posh!!!!!! Sounds like the BFG to me :conf:

A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings is a short story that begins with a husband and wife, Pelayo and Elisenda, finding a very old man in their courtyard during a stormy afternoon. They watch in astonishment the enormous wings attached to the body of the old man as he struggles to get up from the mud. The couple attempts to communicate with the old man but are unable to as he speaks in a different language. Their neighbor comes over and lets them know that the old man is an angel who has come to take their sick child. Pelayo locks the angel in a chicken coop overnight. Early next morning the local priest, Father Gonzaga, with the rest of the community in town, tests the old man to determine whether he is really an angel, with debated results. Elisenda, tired of having the community at her house, decides to charge an entrance fee to see the angel. The family becomes rich and builds a mansion with the money collected. The crowd soon loses interest in the angel as another freak has arrived in the community. The new town attraction is a woman who disobeyed her parents when she was young and was transformed into a tarantula, and now tells her misfortunes to the audience. In order for her to continue telling her stories, the people of the town tossed meatballs into her mouth as it was "her only means of nourishment." Meanwhile, no longer trapped in the chicken coop, the angel is free to roam around the house until one day he leaves the house and flies off away into the distance.
The question being, hobo (though i'm pretty sure I know the answer in your case), where do you find your salvation - by imprisoning angels or feeding meat to poisonous spiders - and how can both be exploited for the means of survival?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:16 am

William the White wrote:
Hobinho wrote:I thought this guy was Posh!!!!!! Sounds like the BFG to me :conf:

The question being, hobo (though i'm pretty sure I know the answer in your case), where do you find your salvation - by imprisoning angels or feeding meat to poisonous spiders - and how can both be exploited for the means of survival?
If the Angel didn't play ball I'd lob it to the spider, simple!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:18 am

I'd be tw*tting the living bejaysus out of any poisonous spider within 100 yards of me. So the Angels win by default.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:19 am

Me too, hoboh, me too...

Life is, as you so often point out, simple...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:22 am

William the White wrote:Me too, hoboh, me too...

Now your getting too clever! Don't know if feeling insulted or chuffed you agree is the correct course of emotion called for here? :conf:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:29 am

Hobinho wrote:
William the White wrote:Me too, hoboh, me too...

Now your getting too clever! Don't know if feeling insulted or chuffed you agree is the correct course of emotion called for here? :conf:
I think you got to the point of Marquez's story absolutely accurately - we hover between angels and spiders testing one and then the other to see which pays us best...

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:50 am

Bruno wrote:The Twits is a good read.
Yes. My 8 year old daughter also recommends it. :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:51 am

enfieldwhite wrote:
Bruno wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:ten books from the master of 20th Century literature for £9.99

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/w ... __category_

Includes his greatest two novels - Love in the Time of Cholers and 100 Years of Solitude, his brilliant Autumn of the Patriarch and vol 1 of his auto-biog Living to tell the Tale...

I remember that this was on couple of years ago and some missed out...
It was last year, and they're still here, on my shelf of shame. :oops:
It was my bro who posted it on here - he bought them for me for Christmas and I've not read a single page either.
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... ht=marquez

Is Verbal your brother? I thought Batman was. :shock:
tee-hee-hee.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:05 am

It gets his post count up Bobo. So all's not lost eh? :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 am

Jean-Luc Picard

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:26 am

Bought, chucked in a few other things to get me just past the £25 free delivery marker as well. Should see me sorted for the Winter.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Mine arrived this morning. El Coronel has to be first, to see if it differs from the Spanish version in translation.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:57 am

I've noticed a few typo's, and the paper quality isn't the best, but it's good value for £6.00

Enjoy TD
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"