Garcia Marquez offer back

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

enfieldwhite wrote:I've noticed a few typo's, and the paper quality isn't the best, but it's good value for £6.00

Enjoy TD
The package is amazing value as it's the stories that count. Marquez was never going to win the Hans Christian Anderson award for best fairy-stories. He was one of the pioneers of the "warts and all" storytellers. I'm more than halfway through El Coronel, but it wasn't the actual translation I was really referring too. A particular feature of Spanish (or Spanish speaking) literature was the ability to disguise protest and digs at the regime by the use of the double entendre. I studied Spanish with a Chilean teacher who explaind this in depth. Just one example: The doctor came". In Spanish, this is "El Doctor Vino" as written in the Spanish Coronel work. Vino is a third person usage of "venir-to come" It also is the Spanish word for wine. My teacher pointed out that Marquez may have been having a clever little poke at the doctors liking for a drop of the grape juice(or a doctor he knew and used as a character) in his story.

Due to the fact that academics were ever under suspicion as rebels, stories, songs etc, were scrutinised minutely for any rebellious intent. My teacher was a great fan of Lorca, Pablo Neruda and other well known Spanish poets and writers. He also saw bad stuff in his homeland of Chile. Reading the book in Spanish then discussing the story with him was a real revelation.
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 am

When reading a Spanish novel do you translate it as you go, or do you go word-by-word and read it at a much slower pace?

DISCLAIMER - NOT AN INSULT OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING, JUST AN HONEST QUESTION WITH NO ULTERIOR MOTIVE SO NO NEED TO GET A PADDY ON

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:40 am

Bruno wrote:When reading a Spanish novel do you translate it as you go, or do you go word-by-word and read it at a much slower pace?

DISCLAIMER - NOT AN INSULT OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING, JUST AN HONEST QUESTION WITH NO ULTERIOR MOTIVE SO NO NEED TO GET A PADDY ON
I'll ignore the second bit as unnecesary.

Your question: It isn't easy, in fact, in El Coronel it was damned hard work. Not being any sort of fluent scholar I read a couple of sentences at a time. If there was anything I didn't understand (happened quite often) then it was back to the dictionary or Cassel's Spanish Language Guide (or similar). We wrote our translations out and then discussed/corrected them in class. Hope this answers your question.

The best way when using the language abroad is to be honest and laugh at yourself and explain you wish to learn. It's absolutely amazing how people will go to great lengths to help just because you're trying.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:I've noticed a few typo's, and the paper quality isn't the best, but it's good value for £6.00

Enjoy TD
The package is amazing value as it's the stories that count. Marquez was never going to win the Hans Christian Anderson award for best fairy-stories. He was one of the pioneers of the "warts and all" storytellers. I'm more than halfway through El Coronel, but it wasn't the actual translation I was really referring too. A particular feature of Spanish (or Spanish speaking) literature was the ability to disguise protest and digs at the regime by the use of the double entendre. I studied Spanish with a Chilean teacher who explaind this in depth. Just one example: The doctor came". In Spanish, this is "El Doctor Vino" as written in the Spanish Coronel work. Vino is a third person usage of "venir-to come" It also is the Spanish word for wine. My teacher pointed out that Marquez may have been having a clever little poke at the doctors liking for a drop of the grape juice(or a doctor he knew and used as a character) in his story.

Due to the fact that academics were ever under suspicion as rebels, stories, songs etc, were scrutinised minutely for any rebellious intent. My teacher was a great fan of Lorca, Pablo Neruda and other well known Spanish poets and writers. He also saw bad stuff in his homeland of Chile. Reading the book in Spanish then discussing the story with him was a real revelation.
Neruda, of course, wasn't Spanish but Chilean, though, obviously he wrote in Spanish. And, as a prominent leader of the Chilean communist party, it was pointless him engaging in the kind of subterfuge you describe. And he mostly doesn't. He is a lyric poet when writing about love, and absolutely open and accessible when writing about politics. A truly great poet though. I'm currently reading his collection Espana en el Corazon - written during the Spanish Civil War. Brilliant.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Should have stated Spanish "speaking" poets WTW, as I have The Selected Poems of Pablo Neruda. As already posted, my teacher was a Chilean and we touched on several of the Spanish language poets, Machado, Neruda, and the much earlier Francisco de Quevedo (and his sattire and insults against other poets, particularly Gorongo) etc. Quevedo's 'To a Nose' was a teacher favourite.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Inspired by enfield I got out my copy of In Evil Hour, untouched for a long time, all the pages yellowed round the edges. It cost £2.95 in 1985(?) so you guys getting the ten for £9.95 are sure getting a bargain. A pretty good example of an early Marquez - he's brilliant at evoking atmosphere - and a kind of allusive story telling that leaves gaps for the reader to try and fill. Many of these characters reappear in other novels/novellas - Father Angel, Sabas, the Doctor, all have significant roles in Tango's favourite 'No One Writes to the Colonel' and are referenced in 'Leaf Storm'. Arcadio is a significant character in 100 years. Etc.

i really enjoyed it. A good way to let the time fly by as i recover from a really shitty cold... Managed to finish the book in a day and a bit - but easier if you've read it before and also know the world of 'Macondo'. He sure is a great storyteller. :D :D :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Finished El Coronel very quickly as it's a rather short book. Much as I rememberd the Spanish version and a great talent of managing to inflict every emotion, even humour, into a sad, sad story. Have strated One Hundred Years of Solitude and am currently bemused at fairground Gypsies giving rides on flying carpets to kids. Sounds like the Watlzer at Silcocks. No doubt all will unfold as I go. :wink:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:06 am

William the White wrote:Inspired by enfield I got out my copy of In Evil Hour, untouched for a long time, all the pages yellowed round the edges. It cost £2.95 in 1985(?) so you guys getting the ten for £9.95 are sure getting a bargain. A pretty good example of an early Marquez - he's brilliant at evoking atmosphere - and a kind of allusive story telling that leaves gaps for the reader to try and fill. Many of these characters reappear in other novels/novellas - Father Angel, Sabas, the Doctor, all have significant roles in Tango's favourite 'No One Writes to the Colonel' and are referenced in 'Leaf Storm'. Arcadio is a significant character in 100 years. Etc.

i really enjoyed it. A good way to let the time fly by as i recover from a really shitty cold... Managed to finish the book in a day and a bit - but easier if you've read it before and also know the world of 'Macondo'. He sure is a great storyteller. :D :D :D
Glad to help WTW. Hope you're feeling better. Looking forward to the other 9 now.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:11 am

I suppose I'd better dip me toe in the water sooner or later and give a hobo prospective on the guy just so I don't get to feel left out.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Hobinho wrote:I suppose I'd better dip me toe in the water sooner or later and give a hobo prospective on the guy just so I don't get to feel left out.
Hobo and Garcia Marquez, this I must see. :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Hobinho wrote:I suppose I'd better dip me toe in the water sooner or later and give a hobo prospective on the guy just so I don't get to feel left out.
Hobo and Garcia Marquez, this I must see. :mrgreen:
This of any interest to you lot?

http://www.themodernword.com/gabo/index.html

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Good link Hobo, cheers. A favourite Merquezism " If we were starving to death we'd be dead already)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruno wrote:When reading a Spanish novel do you translate it as you go, or do you go word-by-word and read it at a much slower pace?

It isn't easy, in fact, in El Coronel it was damned hard work.
Think I've managed El Coronel ok translating as I go. 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I read passages and try for the general meaning (in which key words are a big help.) If I have it, I carry on, but then again there are certain unfamiliar words you come across that make you curious.
Dictionary time then. Word order isn't as important in Spanish as it is in English. I have a two inch thick copy of Don Quixote in Spanish. (I gave up) I just didn't have that sort of time available.:oops:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I read passages and try for the general meaning (in which key words are a big help.) If I have it, I carry on, but then again there are certain unfamiliar words you come across that make you curious.
Dictionary time then. Word order isn't as important in Spanish as it is in English. I have a two inch thick copy of Don Quixote in Spanish. (I gave up) I just didn't have that sort of time available.:oops:
You think that's bad, try bloody Latin! It's like a sodding crossword. Especially the likes of Cicero, you often get subject, verb and object each seperated by 4 or 5 lines and 2 other clauses. Whenever anyone asks what I do and I say Latin and Greek they always then ask if I can speak it. Can I hell!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Pater Noster, qui es en ceilis, santificatur nomen tuum. Ad veniat regnum tuum......Or something like that. :mrgreen:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

You think that's bad, try bloody Latin! It's like a sodding crossword. Especially the likes of Cicero, you often get subject, verb and object each seperated by 4 or 5 lines and 2 other clauses. Whenever anyone asks what I do and I say Latin and Greek they always then ask if I can speak it. Can I hell!
Scarcely surprising since (assuming you a re taking classic Greek) no one speaks them or even really knows how the words are pronounced.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:01 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: It isn't easy, in fact, in El Coronel it was damned hard work.
Scarcely surprising since (assuming you a re taking classic Greek) no one speaks them or even really knows how the words are pronounced.
Yep ancient greek. Apparently, the current, most accepted idea is (and this will be easy for you) that the latin -us, or -um ending was pronounced in the nasal fashion of how the french say 'un' as in masc sing 'one'. Very strange. How they 'know' i could not tell you.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:23 am

Did you ever finish One hundred Years of Solitude though, Pru...?

And, if not, for shame, shouldn't you shuffle your way out of this thread? :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:36 am

William the White wrote:Did you ever finish One hundred Years of Solitude though, Pru...?

And, if not, for shame, shouldn't you shuffle your way out of this thread? :wink:
Am afraid, it rests on my very own shelf of shame, or rather, my shelf of books I started reading, was enjoying, and then some event happened that meant I lost my momentum and never finished. A shelf it shares with De Toqueville's Democracy in America, McCarthy's The Road, and quite a few others. I will get there one day, in the case of Marquez, and due to this thread, perhaps soon.