dog owners

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

dog owners

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:29 am

I know a dog is for life and not just for Christmas, but I am thinking of getting the missus a puppy this year.

She has always wanted one, we both have but always thought our work lives, being away from the house so much would not be fair on the dog.

But this year with her having most of next year off work with the bambino, I thought it would be the perfect time to take the plunge.

However, I haven’t a clue what im doing when it comes to buying a dog? Where do you get em, how much, breeds, pedigree, bitches, injections, trained etc etc etc???

Can anyone offer any advice?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 am

I think the child will be enough to cope with.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:I think the child will be enough to cope with.
Ditto

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 am

Go for it. My parents got a puppy 3 months after I was born. I grew up with that dog for the first 13 years of my life. Probably taught me more about life and death than anything else.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Re: dog owners

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:46 am

General Mannerheim wrote:I know a dog is for life and not just for Christmas, but I am thinking of getting the missus a puppy this year.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Don't get her a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Seriously though, decide on what is a practical sized dog for your house, lifestyle etc We have a Golden Retriever and you could not find a dog with a more pleasant disposition - he's a bit big though! Once you have decided then contact the breed's club. They all have one. Here's an example - another lovely dog by the way.

www.northwestlabradorretrieverclub.co.uk

Rescue dogs can be a bit of a gamble. Some of them are superb, some are mentalist. All down to their previous owners, of course.

Good luck. Dogs are great!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am

seanworth wrote:Go for it. My parents got a puppy 3 months after I was born. I grew up with that dog for the first 13 years of my life. Probably taught me more about life and death than anything else.
I forgot to mention that bit. Our dog was six months old when our son arrived - and I echo seanworth's sentiments. Dog's just turned eleven and he's still batting.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Find a decent rescue centre, any decent one will know something about the dog, don't keep funding pedigree breeders who are just in it for the money and are breeding freaks with all sorts of abnormalities and most rescue centres vaccinate, spey etc so thats sorted for first year

Staffies are ok with the right family, its their bloody chav owners that are the problems

Worked as a milkmans mate, in a kennels and walked dogs for RSPCA and the only bloody dogs that have ever bitten me are sodding Labradors.

Terriers are the hardest to train though and can be bloody minded.

ps a Labradoodle does not exist, its a x breed :)

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Raven wrote:Find a decent rescue centre, any decent one will know something about the dog, don't keep funding pedigree breeders who are just in it for the money and are breeding freaks with all sorts of abnormalities and most rescue centres vaccinate, spey etc so thats sorted for first year

Staffies are ok with the right family, its their bloody chav owners that are the problems

Worked as a milkmans mate, in a kennels and walked dogs for RSPCA and the only bloody dogs that have ever bitten me are sodding Labradors.

Tend to disagree here for one reason. They have a small child. As you said above the biggest problems with dogs are their owners. Go with a puppy that doesn't come with the baggage, and avoid dogs breeds that tend to suffer from inbreeding.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:50 pm

just ahad a quick butchers round some resue centres - there seems to be an abundance of staffies! poor things.

she woont want one of them though!

this one looks good - any comments / warnings???

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/ ... 7E006C8B13
Last edited by General Mannerheim on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:01 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:just ahad a quick butchers round some resue centres - there seems to be an abundance of staffies! poor things.

she woont want one of them though!
I'm not surprised, they've got a bad press really. Not a fan myself.

My old man got a Chocolate Lab, it has mild hip displacia or somesuch, from in-breeding. He's only 5 or so, so still manages to run around and has a great temprament. Apparantly, this is a common problem with Labs

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:06 pm

seanworth wrote:
Raven wrote:Find a decent rescue centre, any decent one will know something about the dog, don't keep funding pedigree breeders who are just in it for the money and are breeding freaks with all sorts of abnormalities and most rescue centres vaccinate, spey etc so thats sorted for first year

Tend to disagree here for one reason. They have a small child. As you said above the biggest problems with dogs are their owners. Go with a puppy that doesn't come with the baggage, and avoid dogs breeds that tend to suffer from inbreeding.
Any dogs dangerous and should never be left with a child, my Jack Russell Cross Terrier thing can bloody hurt, esp when putting his eye drops in!!

German Shepherds, Labs, Bulldogs all have inbreeding probs, not sure about Retrievers

Try a Tibetan Terrier, pretty for the girls but not too girly looking.

Other options would be (if you only want Pedigrees)

West Highland White Terrier
Scottish Terrier
French Bulldog (I would love one of these lads)
Springer or Cocker Spaniels, bit hairy and need plenty of exericise and can be a bit mad :)
Beagle
Poodle (good if worried about allergies)

Rescued Greyhounds can be good but don't get one if you have a cat cos they still like to chase things, they don't need loads of exercise too

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:08 pm

If you're not bothered about size go for a Chow Chow. Really placid, but their size means they take some blooming walking I'd imagine

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:12 pm

was thinking medium sort of sized, bigger than a yorkshire terrier - smaller than a german shep?

really like rhodesian ridgeback's the best!

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/ ... 6B00480B66
Last edited by General Mannerheim on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Raven wrote: Staffies are ok with the right family, its their bloody chav owners that are the problems
I'm yet to see one of those things that's not been attached to a tatooed forearm.
May the bridges I burn light your way

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Get two goldfish in a bowl.

You don't have to walk them, pick up their turds and they won't savage your nipper when it comes.

When you're fed up of them you can flush them down the kharzi too!

I'll give you a tip though NEVER EVER EVER say to your wife that her maternity leave is 'time off.'

She'll cut your cock off if you say that.

Hard work kids y'know.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:22 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:was thinking medium sort of sized, bigger than a yorkshire terrier - smaller than a german shep?

really like rhodesian ridgeback's the best!

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/ ... 6B00480B66
They are as big as a German Shep!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:24 pm

You either love em or loathe 'em, but I'd recommend a Pug

They did go through a stage of being a celeb dog, so I don't know what they cost

I love the look of Chows but grooming must take forever

Short haired, smallish, and no long snout = Pug

Scottie? fcuk, no

Terriers can be nowty
Sto ut Serviam

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Japanese Akita

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:26 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:You either love em or loathe 'em, but I'd recommend a Pug

They did go through a stage of being a celeb dog, so I don't know what they cost

I love the look of Chows but grooming must take forever

Short haired, smallish, and no long snout = Pug

Scottie? fcuk, no

Terriers can be nowty
Pugs are great fun if you don't mind wee dogs

Chows can be naughty too and you will be forever grooming it, plus the blue tongue is freaky :)

If you want a complete nutter that will need lots of exercise try a Boston Terrier :)

Boxers are pretty good but can be mad too

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:28 pm

id also like it to be athetlic, so it could follow me on bike rides n'that.

but still be cute a playful at home.