I've never read, watched, or heard..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:watched Lost for a season and a half, totally lost interest. Not seen any of 24 or prison break though.

For a geezer who likes his comedies, ive never watched Mighty Boosh or Peep Show!
Nor me

Watched a few episodes of Fawlty Towers

I've currently got about the first 20 Star Trek episodes on my Skybox - me christmas treat
Sto ut Serviam

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Wizard of Oz
Sound of Music

Started to watch these but got bored and gave up really quickly

Shawshank Redemption (started to but got bored)
Godfather films
Pulp Fiction and the other one
Anything with Jim Carey

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Don't understand the 1984 thing. Read it. Found it hard going and thoroughly depressing.
Brave New World is better. And closer to the truth. And more depressing. I'm not really cut out for this selling lark.
Interesting. Got this out of the library yesterday. Heard good things.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Never seen 24, also never watched 'Reqiuem for a dream' which is one of those must have in your collection jobbies, heard so many good things, I've just never gotten round to buying it!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm

I haven't ever seen The Goonies or Gremlins - which is strange according to the rest of the planet.

I've not read any Lord or the Rings or seen the films. I don't understand things in the future.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I've never read, watched, or heard..

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:The books, the films, the albums everybody raves about, that you have never read watched or heard, for whatever reason....

Everybody has a list, maybe they never caught your imagination, maybe you've never got round to it. I read an article a while ago talking about how many people claimed to have read books and seen films they hadn't because they were viewed as 'classics'. The most commonly lied about is 1984 apparently.

I've never seen the Shawshank Redemption. I am now about to watch for the first time Dead Poet's Society. I had until recently never read (or seen, which I still haven't) Hamlet.

Yours?
Heathen!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Gertie wrote:I haven't ever seen The Goonies or Gremlins - which is strange according to the rest of the planet.

I've not read any Lord or the Rings or seen the films. I don't understand things in the future.
Don't worry most females don't :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm

General Mannerheim wrote: For a geezer who likes his comedies, ive never watched Mighty Boosh or Peep Show!
Me too, although I do find the bloke from Mighty Boosh (Noel Fielding?) to be piss funny on Buzzcocks.

Also, I've never seen Gavin & Stacey.

Tried my best with Bo Selecta but gave up.

Can't stand Little Britain as all it seems to be about is finding different ways to deliver exactly the same punchlines.

And as an aside, I haven't watched Dr Who since Tom Baker was in it, and won't.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 pm

The first two seasons of Boosh are hilarious, I'd recommend them.

Peep Show is f*cking king.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Verbal wrote:The first two seasons of Boosh are hilarious, I'd recommend them.

Peep Show is f*cking king.
What 'e said.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 pm

Have never seen:

The Taming of the Shrew, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Troilus and Cressida, Henry IV (Parts one and two), Henry VIII, Henry VI (parts one, teo and three), King John... (Looks like i have an aversion to the name Henry - it's just that the history plays I attend only dutifully, the others eagerly)...

But looking forward enormously to midsummer night's dream at the octagon in February/march - will be the fifth production of this play I've seen. It's great to see comedy that is over four hundred years old still causing laughter. Fantastic. :D

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:04 pm

I've never read, watched, or heard.. any of this Dr Who business

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:02 am

Blimey, there are so many books that I probably should have read that it'd take a library to stock and catalogue. Most of Shakespeare and of the Brontes and Jane Austen ... ad infinitum.

I wonder whether today, if I sat down and read The Bard for the fun of it (rather than as required reading), I'd get more out of his works. Maybe I was too dumb or just disinterested but when Olde Bill was indeed a required reading and my tutors bombarded me with multiple explanations of every word and phrase in each play, I just gave up. Given his incredible volume of plays and an equally staggering amount of verse I've often wondered how many geese were slaughtered to provide the necessary quills. I have also wondered how he managed to produce so much writing with so 'deep and meaningful' levels of meaning (if today's scholars are correct). I'm also somewhat embarrassed to say that I have not a word of William's output in my mini-book repository.

On second thought I might be wrong - I think that somewhere hidden in a cardboard box hidden beneath a pile of rubbish in my garage there is a copy each of Julius Caesar and of Henry V. If they are there then I suspect that they have juvenile margin notes along the lines of 'What's he on about' and 'Ey?' or perhaps 'What a load of codswallop'.

Looking to the good old U.S. of A., perhaps I should have read Hemmingway (or is that Hemingway?) and the novel 'Catcher in the Rye', the author of which escapes me at the moment.

I have read a few Russian publications (translated) but find them terribly tedious. Anna Karenina (fiction) for one and the Gulag Archipelago (non-fiction) are the ones that come to mind. I had both on my shelves at one time but they've both been chucked out. Yes, there are other Russian authors whose work I have read but they simply reinforced the feeling that the country produces writers who are dark and gloomy, sad and sadder, and describe a locale in which the light at the end of the tunnel is a long way away.

Films I find I cannot comment upon. I have seen so few of them over the last few decades. Maybe I think that I'm getting older than I used to be or really am? Mind you I have rejected the opportunity to watch certain films and regretted it later. One of those was 'Dances With Wolves.

OK, who is up for a 'down and dirty' documentary on Bolton le Moores?

:mrgreen:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:37 am

Put me in the 'I've never watched The Sopranos' club.

I've never seen The Exorcist, and there's a great swathe of European films waiting to for me to catch up on.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 am

Interesting Dujon. I too have never read 'Catcher in the Rye', or the one that for some reason is linked to that in my head, 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. In fact thinking of our GCSE possible options, I've only read the one we did, 'Lord of the Flies', having not read the two mentioned above, nor 'Of Mice and Men'.

As for the Bard, it's difficult to say. He undoubtedly has a reputation amongst fourteen year olds as 'oh no not Shakespeare'. I'm not quite sure why, or how to get around this. I decided at fourteen also that I didn't like him, and preferred the much more rebellious, cool image Marlowe has. Now, well Dr F and the first Tamberlaine are still two of my favourite plays, but Willy produced so much that is excellent. I've never quite 'got' his comedies, but Macbeth, Romeo and J are excellent (I assume most would place Hamlet in here, but as said, never seen it) and I remember thinking at fourteen that his sonnets were 'allright for poetry' (which at that point was still very much 'gay').

Films: I have a list on my computer I wrote the other day which sort of inspired this thread, one out and out classic I have never seen, 'Saving Private Ryan'. Add to this cult classics such as 'Network', 'La Haine', 'Léon', and 'Fargo', and a couple more on my list, 'The Departed', 'United 93', 'Memento', 'The Conversation', and 'Betty Blue'.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:43 am

Catcher In The Rye is bloody dull. Don't bother.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:05 am

ive never seen Gone with the Wind, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Some like it Hot, Casablanca... or many of those golden classics actually!

i fancy doing tho!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:13 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Catcher In The Rye is bloody dull. Don't bother.
If he reads the first couple of pages, he'll get the gist, and then at least he can say he tried. But yeah, dull, unfinishable.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:19 am

Never watched one frame of '24', nor 'Twin Peaks', nor 'The Wire', nor 'Band of Brothers'. I'd add 'Prison Break' as mentioned above, but frankly haven't even heard of it.

Watched my son watch 'Lost' (if you have kids you'll appreciate the difference) but though I therefore saw some of it I rapidly lost interest & was amazed when I realised it was still on some centuries late. Saw a few Soprano's before running for cover.

Managed not to watch a second of Big Brother since series 2, that includes Celebrity versions too, until this year because I know the winners sister very well. It hadn't improved,meantime !!

I saw about 2 half programmes of 'Flight of the Conchords', which was so dire I've avoided it since. Not watched 'Mighty Boosh', despite as said above, loving Noel Fielding on Buzzcocks.

Other than when forced to (O-Levels, A-Levels) I've not read, nor watched anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte's and I'd rather rip my eyes out than watch the vast majority of Shakespeare (sorry WtW). His comedies, especially. Rowan Atkinson's teacher sketch where he scorned the whole genre as being "the joke of two people being confused for each other ... twice" about sums them up for me. About as funny as that master of Comedy, Chekov and the aforementioned Ms Austen.

Bo Selecta, I just cannot see anything of merit. Frank Sidebotton !!!! wtf ???

Most of Sacha Baron Cohen's portfolio is likewise.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've ever actually seen anything !!
Last edited by bobo the clown on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:24 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Catcher In The Rye is bloody dull. Don't bother.
^this
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."