I've never read, watched, or heard..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

I've never read, watched, or heard..

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 am

The books, the films, the albums everybody raves about, that you have never read watched or heard, for whatever reason....

Everybody has a list, maybe they never caught your imagination, maybe you've never got round to it. I read an article a while ago talking about how many people claimed to have read books and seen films they hadn't because they were viewed as 'classics'. The most commonly lied about is 1984 apparently.

I've never seen the Shawshank Redemption. I am now about to watch for the first time Dead Poet's Society. I had until recently never read (or seen, which I still haven't) Hamlet.

Yours?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:26 am

Believe it or not I've never seen a Star Wars film, nor have I read the book if there is one.

As for Dead Poet's Society I will be interested in what you think. I went to watch this along time ago in a small cinema in Belsize Park - the only film I have left halfway through and demanded my money back! Got it too.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 am

Never read Harry Potter.

Never watched The Sopranos.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:57 am

I certainly read 1984 since the Board of Examiners required same - it was okay though I preferred animal farm. I have not seen the Dead Poet Society though I did enjoy the Shawshank Redemption. I have never read some of the books that WtW et al rave about. :oops:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Debo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Debo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:31 am

Never seen a Bond film

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:18 am

Harry Poter & Lord of the Rings - no books or films!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:20 am

Never read Harry Potter
Only ever seen like 30 secs of X Factor, I'm a Celeb

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am

Any of the Godfathers.

Taxi Driver - Ive always wanted to but never got around to it.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 am

The Diary of Anne Frank.

I think in a fit of pique I've even quoted a quote from it. Shame on me, really.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:08 am

Godfather(s) - tried 'em switched 'em all off.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:36 am

The Godfathers are interesting ones. I've seen the first, and most of the second. Enjoyed them, but not enough to desperately need to see the rest. They seem to have acquired Thriller and Hendrix levels of being unquestionably the greatest thing ever.

Diary of Anne Frank, and Mein Kampf are on my list of things I've always wanted to sit down and read, but never got round to.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:28 am

Wouldn't bother with Mein Kampf, it's shite. There's a few classic films that I've never watched (things like It's A Wonderful Life and a few other oldies), but I'm pretty well up there on my cinema. Except horror films, I find them tedious and unexciting, so I've watched hardly any of them. Or Westerns.

Never read a Harry Potter (and never will), and there's an endless stream of books that I've not read that I probably should have. Going to attempt to put that right, though.

I have, however, read 1984 and it's one of my favourite books of all time. Along with Animal Farm, actually. I'm a big Orwell fan.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 am

blurred wrote:Wouldn't bother with Mein Kampf, it's shite. There's a few classic films that I've never watched (things like It's A Wonderful Life and a few other oldies), but I'm pretty well up there on my cinema. Except horror films, I find them tedious and unexciting, so I've watched hardly any of them. Or Westerns.

Never read a Harry Potter (and never will), and there's an endless stream of books that I've not read that I probably should have. Going to attempt to put that right, though.

I have, however, read 1984 and it's one of my favourite books of all time. Along with Animal Farm, actually. I'm a big Orwell fan.
We seem to have very similar tastes, I too just don't get the appeal of westerns or horror, and am a massive fan or Mr Orwell (can you call him that, or would it be Mr Blair, I'm not sure what you do with pen-names). I've heard that a lot regarding Mein Kampf, but it's one of those I feel I should at least try, on the perhaps simplistic logic it might explain quite what happened to turn a normal bloke (as he must have been at some point, if you believe people aren't inherently good, or evil to begin with) into one of the most evil men of all time.

Cheese
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cheese » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 am

This may seem like an odd contribution to this thread, but I have never seen a single episode of South Park, which a lot of very intelligent people tell me is a fantastic work of satire. It's just never appealed to me, and I've always imagined it to be a simple "fart-joke" cartoon.

And I think this is the article referred to in the first post:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ie-brooker

I have read Nineteen Eighty Four several times. It's probably my favourite book of all time.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 am

Prufrock wrote:I've heard that a lot regarding Mein Kampf, but it's one of those I feel I should at least try, on the perhaps simplistic logic it might explain quite what happened to turn a normal bloke (as he must have been at some point, if you believe people aren't inherently good, or evil to begin with) into one of the most evil men of all time.
If that's what you're looking for, you won't find it. It's an incredibly tedious, repetitive piece of literature. The first chunk is an autobiography of his life to date, the latter two thirds spend about 300 pages explaining what he could have done in 50.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 am

Never watched;

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Sopranos
The Wire
Big Brother
X Factor
Come Dancing
In fact.. any of that genre
May the bridges I burn light your way

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:16 am

Don't understand the 1984 thing. Read it. Found it hard going and thoroughly depressing.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Never watched;

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Sopranos
The Wire
Big Brother

X Factor
Come Dancing
In fact.. any of that genre

And 24, Lost, Prison Break or any other American watch it every week for the rest of your life
Godfathers
Most sci fi epics
Rockys
Pulp Fiction, Usual Suspects, Fight Club

In fact, I've not seen much
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Don't understand the 1984 thing. Read it. Found it hard going and thoroughly depressing.
Brave New World is better. And closer to the truth. And more depressing. I'm not really cut out for this selling lark.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 pm

watched Lost for a season and a half, totally lost interest. Not seen any of 24 or prison break though.

For a geezer who likes his comedies, ive never watched Mighty Boosh or Peep Show!