I've never read, watched, or heard..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:34 am

bobo the clown wrote:Never watched one frame of '24', nor 'Twin Peaks', nor 'The Wire', nor 'Band of Brothers'. I'd add 'Prison Break' as mentioned above, but frankly haven't even head of it.

Watched my son watch 'Lost' (if you have kids you'll appreciate the difference) but though I therefore saw some of it I rapidly lost interest & was amazed when I realised it was still on some centuries late. Saw a few Soprano's before running for cover.

Managed not to watch a second of Big Brother since series 2, that includes Celebrity versions too, until this year because I know the winners sister very well. It hadn't improved,meantime !!

I saw about 2 half programmes of 'Flight of the Conchords', which was so dire I've avoided it since. Not watched 'Mighty Boosh', despite as said above, loving Noel Fielding on Buzzcocks.

Other than when forced to (O-Levels, A-Levels) I've not read, nor watched anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte's and I'd rather rip my eyes out than watch the vast majority of Shakespeare (sorry WtW). His comedies, especially. Rowan Atkinson's teacher sketch where he scorned the whole genre as being "the joke of two people being confused for each other ... twice" about sums them up for me. About as funny as that master of Comedy, Chekov and the aforementioned Ms Austen.

Bo Selecta, I just cannot see anything of merit. Frank Sidebotton !!!! wtf ???

Most of Sacha Baron Cohen's portfolio is likewise.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've ever actually seen anything !!
You could have saved yourself the bother of writing that and just said you're a miserable old sod.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:05 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Never watched one frame of '24', nor 'Twin Peaks', nor 'The Wire', nor 'Band of Brothers'. I'd add 'Prison Break' as mentioned above, but frankly haven't even heard of it.

Watched my son watch 'Lost' (if you have kids you'll appreciate the difference) but though I therefore saw some of it I rapidly lost interest & was amazed when I realised it was still on some centuries late. Saw a few Soprano's before running for cover.

Managed not to watch a second of Big Brother since series 2, that includes Celebrity versions too, until this year because I know the winners sister very well. It hadn't improved,meantime !!

I saw about 2 half programmes of 'Flight of the Conchords', which was so dire I've avoided it since. Not watched 'Mighty Boosh', despite as said above, loving Noel Fielding on Buzzcocks.

Other than when forced to (O-Levels, A-Levels) I've not read, nor watched anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte's and I'd rather rip my eyes out than watch the vast majority of Shakespeare (sorry WtW). His comedies, especially. Rowan Atkinson's teacher sketch where he scorned the whole genre as being "the joke of two people being confused for each other ... twice" about sums them up for me. About as funny as that master of Comedy, Chekov and the aforementioned Ms Austen.

Bo Selecta, I just cannot see anything of merit. Frank Sidebotton !!!! wtf ???

Most of Sacha Baron Cohen's portfolio is likewise.

seems to be a love it or hate it show - me, i fooking love it!!!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Catcher In The Rye is bloody dull. Don't bother.
If he reads the first couple of pages, he'll get the gist, and then at least he can say he tried. But yeah, dull, unfinishable.[/quote]

I finished it.

When I was 16 it was a real page-turner. Never gone back to it since, though.

now - 'Ulysses' - that's unfinishable!

Tried to read three times, just couldn't bear the tedium .

'Under the Volcano' - that's unfinishable. Had to study at uni, wrote an essay about it, without having finished... Just remembered - did the same with Mill on the Floss, also unfinishable, along with most gigantic 19th c novels.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 pm

I've never read War & Peace.
I've never watched Lord of the Rings.
I've never heard an entire song by Tenacious D. I get about three lines in, and realise that they needed to try harder if they wanted to be seen as either comedy or music. It doesn't work either way.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote: For a geezer who likes his comedies, ive never watched Mighty Boosh or Peep Show!
Me too, although I do find the bloke from Mighty Boosh (Noel Fielding?) to be piss funny on Buzzcocks.

Also, I've never seen Gavin & Stacey.

Tried my best with Bo Selecta but gave up.

Can't stand Little Britain as all it seems to be about is finding different ways to deliver exactly the same punchlines.

And as an aside, I haven't watched Dr Who since Tom Baker was in it, and won't.
Dont lose any sleep, its as funny as catching your knackers in a mangle!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:42 pm

Raven wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote: For a geezer who likes his comedies, ive never watched Mighty Boosh or Peep Show!
Me too, although I do find the bloke from Mighty Boosh (Noel Fielding?) to be piss funny on Buzzcocks.

Can't stand Little Britain as all it seems to be about is finding different ways to deliver exactly the same punchlines.

thats a bit harsh, i agree James Corden is a fat irritating cock - but G&S is a nice easy watching show with some very funny moments courtesy of Alison Steadman, Rob Brydon and the old girl who plays Doris!

its credit has been dented by fattys shameless millking of its popularity, and now all sorts of numpties are on the bandwaggon!

thinking they should have put it to bed after two series'.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:53 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Never watched one frame of ..........................

You could have saved yourself the bother of writing that and just said you're a miserable old sod.
Damn, I am found out !!

I AM A MISERABLE OLD SOD !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:37 pm

William the White wrote: now - 'Ulysses' - that's unfinishable!
I've got through about a fifth of Ulysses in 11 years. Even Molly Bloom's first soliloquy. But there are about 600 pages of The Count of Monte Cristo to battle first.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 pm

ratbert wrote:
William the White wrote: now - 'Ulysses' - that's unfinishable!
I've got through about a fifth of Ulysses in 11 years. Even Molly Bloom's first soliloquy. But there are about 600 pages of The Count of Monte Cristo to battle first.
Loved that book. read it for fun.

The catcher in the Rye was horrible. could only get 40 pages in.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:47 pm

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of the finest books even written. I read the first 300-odd pages in 2 nights I was that hooked. Obviously work was a bit fooked the day after. And it is just my opinion, but I think you ought to be tortured if you don't agree with it.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
If he reads the first couple of pages, he'll get the gist, and then at least he can say he tried. But yeah, dull, unfinishable.
Interesting comments, Gentlemen. I have Catcher In The Rye down on my must-get-round-to-reading-one-day list.

Perhaps I should cross it out?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I saw about 2 half programmes of 'Flight of the Conchords', which was so dire I've avoided it since.
For me - the finest television since the League of Gentlemen. Absolutely outstanding stuff, I can't wait for the third series!
May the bridges I burn light your way

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
If he reads the first couple of pages, he'll get the gist, and then at least he can say he tried. But yeah, dull, unfinishable.
Interesting comments, Gentlemen. I have Catcher In The Rye down on my must-get-round-to-reading-one-day list.

Perhaps I should cross it out?
Yes. i picked it up for fun a few years ago and found it horrible. Put me off "must read" classics for a while.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 pm

William the White wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
If he reads the first couple of pages, he'll get the gist, and then at least he can say he tried. But yeah, dull, unfinishable.[/quote]

I finished it.

'Under the Volcano' - that's unfinishable. Had to study at uni, wrote an essay about it, without having finished... Just remembered - did the same with Mill on the Floss, also unfinishable, along with most gigantic 19th c novels.
I got to page 3 about five times in Ulysses and quit. Went to watch the movie as it was the first one to use the word "Phuck" just to watch the matrons react in shock. It was better than the book because I did stay to the end but...
I'm glad you had the same trouble with George Eliot, WtW, though my bete noire was Middlemarch for A level English. I also had Bleak House (Dickens). I have read other works by Dickens that I did enjoy but Bleak House was over the top IMHO. I have spent 50 odd years thinking there was something wrong with me but I'm glad there is something wrong with you as well, William.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:47 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

I finished it.

I got to page 3 about five times in Ulysses and quit. Went to watch the movie as it was the first one to use the word "Phuck" just to watch the matrons react in shock. It was better than the book because I did stay to the end but...
I'm glad you had the same trouble with George Eliot, WtW, though my bete noire was Middlemarch for A level English. I also had Bleak House (Dickens). I have read other works by Dickens that I did enjoy but Bleak House was over the top IMHO. I have spent 50 odd years thinking there was something wrong with me but I'm glad there is something wrong with you as well, William.
I think I might enjoy dickens a little more than you, but the pressure of the weekly 3000 words for much of his work means he makes tremendous lurches in plot and character.

Was it Oscar Wilde who said (something like) - you must have a heart of stone if you can read of the death of Little Nell without laughing...

I dramatised 'the Chimes' about 14 years ago for bristol old vic, as the adult alternative to the panto... Enjoyed doing it and discovered a real respect for his story-telling...

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I saw about 2 half programmes of 'Flight of the Conchords', which was so dire I've avoided it since.
For me - the finest television since the League of Gentlemen. Absolutely outstanding stuff, I can't wait for the third series!
Sorry Bruce, but I'd call off the wait...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a ... hords.html

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
When Jermaine meets Keifa, and turns up to a meeting with Murray & Bret wearing a Aussie bush ranger Steve Irwin stylee khaki shorts suit!!... :lmfao:

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Raven wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

thats a bit harsh, i agree James Corden is a fat irritating cock - but G&S is a nice easy watching show with some very funny moments courtesy of Alison Steadman, Rob Brydon and the old girl who plays Doris!

its credit has been dented by fattys shameless millking of its popularity, and now all sorts of numpties are on the bandwaggon!

thinking they should have put it to bed after two series'.
Harsh??? No on second thoughts catching my knackers in the mangle is funnier, sat and watched it and not found any of it funny, although I like the wee blonde Welsh girl

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

No Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings for me.
Gave up on 24 & the more believable but just as dull -The Wire

Never read Lolita or Tess of the Durbevilles but always meant to. Gave up on Catch 22.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
When Jermaine meets Keifa, and turns up to a meeting with Murray & Bret wearing a Aussie bush ranger Steve Irwin stylee khaki shorts suit!!... :lmfao:
The first series was better IMO. Glad they're not stretching it to a third as it would probably get too diluted. Rhys Darby makes the programme - I'd be interested to see what his stand up is like.