Millennium Memories

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Millennium Memories

Post by Gertie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Happy New Year all Wanderers

As the new new decade begins (or not if you're one of those people who badger on about their being no year zero blah, etc) What has happened to you or what changes have you seen?

As 2000 began, I was visiting my parents who had just sold their business and moved 200 miles away to retire to the countryside in rural Cumbria. I had a relatively decent job, just been promoted but was really ambitious and applying for new jobs, bought my own house and was living a very fun and frivolous life with lots of friends and no responsibilities. I didn't have a season ticket but frequently went to the Reebok with my BIL and his mates and then started taking my nephew as my BIL spent too long getting drunk and getting into fights which wasn't my bag.

Fastforward 10 years, I'm unemployed have 2 daughters which I didn't ever imagine would happen and haven't been to watch a football match in 2 years and my little nephew is now 16 and lives in Canada with my BIL who is still drinking and fighting.

I'd like to think I'm a nicer and more settled person now then I was then, but it's taken me 10 years to calm down and grow up and move on. Perhaps in the next 10 years I'll get to go to the Reebok again.

What's everyone else done????

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Got taller.
Was right all along

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:27 pm

My Millennium started with me sacking off a recording contract and a power-cut on NYE in a cottage we'd hired, leaving me thinking we were in the middle of the Millennium Bug, and as such, started hatching plans for marshal law. Then the lights came back on so I got pissed.

Since then, I've had a variety of really odd jobs and scenarios, culminating in me becoming a professional writer and moving to Manchester after living in Horwich all my days.

The Noughties have been weird, rubbish but, overall, a stupid amount of fun.
Viva La Portable Radio!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi Gertie, and a Happy New Year to you. Nice reminiscing.

Ten years ago we were all celebrating the millennium, setting off a million fireworks and wondering if the internet was going to crash. Since then I passed sixty-five, became an official bus-pass owner, but carried on working and have now reached seventy and finally retired. Also aquired a mad Shit-hzu called Alfie. My brother and my good friends have all moved to Spain or Portugal so social life is much quieter. I've had a new grandson, now eight and a granddaughter ,now one. Last year I finally got to visit my son in California, which was tremendous, and came back in a wheelchair (from not remembering my age thinking I was Magnum. Still have a mental age of thirty but the body doesn't seem to know that :( ).

Don't get to the Reebok as much these days, but went to the West Ham game, although I never miss a game on TV, stream or audio. Hope the New Year is good to you and your family. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Bruno wrote:Got taller.
Those days are long gone. Kept thinking I'd suddenly shoot upwards in my mid-teens, then late-teens and then all of a sudden college was over and I was 5' 8".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Good to hear from you, Gertie. Ten years ago I had a wife, a house, four kids and was at the apex of my career. Now I have no wife, no house and am contemplating retirement. Still have the four kids. Some things never change however - the Leafs still suck. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:58 pm

This thread is really cheering me up
Was right all along

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Good to hear from you, Gertie. Ten years ago I had a wife, a house, four kids and was at the apex of my career. Now I have no wife, no house and am contemplating retirement. Still have the four kids. Some things never change however - the Leafs still suck. :wink:
ouch.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:55 pm

New Year 2000 was marked with a dose of that really bad influenza that was going round at that time. Can't remember feeling so ill. This New Year has started with what I suspect a broken rib. 10 years ago I spent the holiday with five other people in the wing of the Lutyens designed manor house. This year I spent it at home, alone, shivering.

Happy New Year everyone!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Jesus wept folks!! :hang:

I was 11 at turn of the millenium, spent it at my nana's with the fam, playing party games. I still remember my then 6 year old brother throwing a wobbler when he lost at musical chairs because 'there's not enough chairs! you keep talking then away!' sob sob. This NYE I was working, stupidly busy so we didn't start drinking behind the bar till half 11. Still as usual, good tips, and didn't pay for a drink, got steadily smashed and stumbled home at half 3 very merry. Hopefully the next ten years will see interesting things happen!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:16 pm

I was 15 so not many tales of debauchery to be told!

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 pm

I was married to a lovely flamenco dancer, she died, I then married her cousin, who was into the waltz, but she died too.

Now I live alone with my cats and eat beans every night.
Was right all along

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:35 pm

Decade of two halves innit. One's full of lad's hols, running naked round uni and one night stands, the other half with Mrs HRG. One half full of shit jobs, tosser bosses and the dole queue, the other a steady and (so far, touch wood) successful job.

Top and tail, been remarkably dull since 2005! We're now with mortgage, routines, 2-day hangovers and watching Question Time. Having said that since 2005 I've had Doctor Who back! :mrgreen:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:31 am

i was about 18/19, had been in full time employment for 2 years since leaving school, and was still at home, and had inherited a rusty fiat uno! so thats when i really started getting into taking myself off to away games properly, i already had a season ticket a couple of years, but this was the dawn of a wonderful era to be a wanderers fan! Big Sam had arrived then 00/01 was our last promotion winning season season. 01/02 was my first ever present season, every game home and away, league and cup! hate to think how much i spent on watching the wanderers over the early millenium - not that much probably as i was still buying kids tickets till i was 26!

but yeah, its pretty remarkable now i think back - these days i work for myself, have a nice(r) car, on my 2nd house, long term missus, and of course the bambino arrived just before the decade ended.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 am

You get older... By ten years...

So, what happens to your kids and to those close to you, and to yourself can seem to diverge...

This decade saw the graduation of two daughters and a son, and the youngest daughter preparing for university...

This made me really proud...

It saw the passing of several really close friends and family...

And this made me desperately, desperately sad...

It saw some illness in my life and in the lives of some very close to me...

And this was sometimes scary...

And it saw the immense piss up that was my 60th birthday, complete with Bolton Wanderers theme...

This made me appallingly hungover...

But, on balance, in my life, it was good...

Partly because...

My football club spent its first decade in the top division since the 1950s, and the only one of my supporting life...

This was worth breathing for... :D

Happy New Decade everyone...

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:09 am

In the last 10 years I have become a father again. Had 2 children start school. Got divorced. Moved house four times. Seen out my twenties. Had four different jobs. Doubled my salary. Slept with more women than I did in the previous ten years. Had 12 different cars. Been on holiday to places I thought I would never visit. Travelled all over Europe watching my football team.
The last 10 years have gone like a flash.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Having said that since 2005 I've had Doctor Who back! :mrgreen:

Just doesn't feel the same though.

I miss the wobbly sets and Jon Pertwee's stuntman doing the karate. (He's quite spry for his age)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm

What's a BIL??? :conf:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Hobinho wrote:What's a BIL??? :conf:
Brother-in-Law, I'd suggest, Hobo! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Jakerbeef wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Having said that since 2005 I've had Doctor Who back! :mrgreen:

Just doesn't feel the same though.

I miss the wobbly sets and Jon Pertwee's stuntman doing the karate. (He's quite spry for his age)
Get the fooking DVDs then :mrgreen:

Today I was remembering the early days of the internet, sniffing around trying to find NTSC videos of owd Doctor Who because there were more US versions than UK versions. Made my folks by a new video player for it, imported loads from Amazon.com. Then the new series came out and they couldn't shit out DVDs fast enough