Millennium Memories

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hobinho wrote:What's a BIL??? :conf:
Brother-in-Law, I'd suggest, Hobo! :wink:
Ta, text speak uh!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Hobinho wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ta, text speak uh!!
Gertie-isms. Every bit as confouding though not as annoying, I find. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:17 pm

The year 2000 saw 12 year old me at a fancy dressparty at my mum and dad's house, attended by family and friends. The party got interrupted by some highfield scrotes, and in the end there was a mass brawl outside involving them and people at the party. My dad, who partook in said ruckus, ended up going to a+e on new years dressed as ziggy stardust, to be told he'd broke his wrist. Away from that, I was a very quiet, shy lad, wondering if he would make it out of secondary school.

I rang in the year 2010 at a flat in Swinton. The flat belongs to two of my friends who have been together for about four years, and finally decided move in together - the first bit of commitment shown by any of the boys in the Pendleton College class of '06, though I guess this will change by 2020. Anywho, the evening involved a FIFA10 tournament, copious drinking, letting off fireworks, playing lots of Beatles and a lot of catching up. No fighting, though.

'tween the two, I managed to get through school, then college, and am now in my final year of a university degree. I work part time in the very a+e dept my dad as in on NYE 2000, I've managed to get stuff published, and have interviewed many famous faces in my quest to become a journalist.

Lovely.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Anyway, seeing as the tension is killing me, here's my two penn'orth:

Started the millenium as a destitute young chef getting drunk on Vintage Champagne (that I could never have afforded even if I'd wanted to ) and frozen vodka with friends and colleagues in the private room of one of the best restaurants in this country. Best if you're not working there that is. Ended the decade not drinking vintage champagne (that I could now afford) with friends and colleagues in a sh*t-hole place. Whats that about sacrificing principles for pounds? Hey-ho.

In between, I've had some regrets, like not taking up the job offers in Aix-en-Provence, and NYC, not trying harder at a couple of relationships (I could have been Monty's neighbour if I had). But life moves on....

And Samuel Johnson was wrong, getting tired of London was the best thing I ever did. It saved me from the Chef's staple diet of Caffeine, Nicotine and coke. Since then I've started my own companies, bought property abroad, had six months off work for being an idiot whilst ski-ing and generally become a little(little!) wiser. About some things.

In other ways it feels like I've done nowt, and it feels like about 10 mins since watching us play QPR at the start of the new millenium. With a new(ish) manger in charge, who was an ex-player. Who we needed to inject new impetus into the club. Life is one big circle.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:34 pm

In 2000 I was engaged . Now that it's 2010 I am engaged again. I moved from Virginia to Massachusetts to Maine. Outside of the Wanderers and Red Sox I can't say I really enjoyed these past 10 years.

I guess I got to do a lot of cool things and met some very cool people. I saw my first game at the Reebok, and I finally saw them win in person.

But overall I just hope the next 10 is better than the last 10.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Mine has panned out similar to Verbal's. I was 11 at the Millenium and there was a house party at our house for loads of family and friends. It was the first time I was allowed to have alcohol (a couple of sips of bubbly at midnight) which was exciting and there was an impromtu game of cricket in the street at about 2am. Since then I've been through school, done all my exams and stuff and gone off to uni to do the course I always wanted to. Everything seems to have worked out pretty perfectly.

Now I'm in Liverpool most of the year at uni and have 2 years to go after this one. I spent this New Year in New York which was my 21st present off my parents and it was fabulous. Instead of being penned in in Times Square, we went for the nice meal option followed by fireworks and a midnight run in central park (there seems to be a theme developing about exercise in the wee hours). This year I've got a placement in Manly, Sydney to look forward to so all in all a great decade for me!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Afraid I've grown up. In 2000 I was a 14 year old drinking Bud Light at a neighbour's party which my parents were also at.

By 2010 I've done all the normal things:

Crap jobs
Passed exams
Moved out
Been through university + (more crap jobs)
Lived with about 20 different people in about 6 places in 3 cities
Started career proper
Bought season ticket
Decided to live on my own
Bought a few banks
Started saving up for my pension :(
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 pm

In 2000 I was married. I still am - to the same lady. If I survive long enough we'll clock up 40 years in October.

My daughter graduated from Uni and by doing so completed my dream of both of our children attaining university degrees. I didn't get the chance to attend one as I was too dumb.

Like William I lost three close friends to the Grim Reaper. A gut wrenching experience. If you can manage it, try to pick out people with a family history of longevity as your mates.

2001 included my daughter's betrothal and marriage. 2001's stork brought me a granddaughter. 2009 was the year of my son's marriage.

I lost three cats due to geriatric illnesses. I have two cats now, one who has reached the age of staidness and the other seems to be some sort of feline Peter Pan. She's now over two years of age and still behaves like the kitten she was when she was adopted. She's also dumb. Example? OK: She is skilled veteran in the art of capturing a skink and bringing it indoors, where she proceeds to 'play' with it. On most occasions I become aware of her latest sin and right before her eyes capture the poor thing and take it outside for release. She then spends the next half hour (I kid you not) looking for the thing in the room where I rescued it.

Perhaps I've mellowed or something but the last ten years I believe have turned me to the appreciation of the everyday things of life. Not that I didn't appreciate them before, but (I really don't know how to express the idea) perhaps it's just that I notice them more often than I once did.

Maybe I'm simply ten years older and showing it. :cry:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:16 pm

I kipped in Woolworths doorway

It's BHS a tramp can progress too!

Future
M&S

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:17 pm

White Lightning or Special Brew as a New Years tipple, Hobo?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:White Lightning or Special Brew as a New Years tipple, Hobo?
Like all good "Gentleman of the road" it's sherry old boy, but none never quite match the old cheap Liquor Save brands :wink:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:42 am

Hobinho wrote:2000
I kipped in Woolworths doorway

It's BHS a tramp can progress too!

Future
M&S
So British Home Stores to be bust by 2018, and M&S by 2028?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 am

I can't remember.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:29 am

Lord Kangana wrote:White Lightning or Special Brew as a New Years tipple, Hobo?
Ah, good old trampagne
Was right all along

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Hobinho wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ta, text speak uh!!
Not text speak it's an anchorman.

Good stories, may you all live in interesting Owen Coyle times.

p.s. Monty, only you can shoehorn a Leafs dig at any opportunity you should have a medal, but not sure you'd recognise what to do with silverware??!!!

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Verbal wrote:I rang in the year 2010 at a flat in Swinton. The flat belongs to two of my friends who have been together for about four years, and finally decided move in together - the first bit of commitment shown by any of the boys in the Pendleton College class of '06, though I guess this will change by 2020. Anywho, the evening involved a FIFA10 tournament, copious drinking, letting off fireworks, playing lots of Beatles and a lot of catching up. No fighting, though.

'tween the two, I managed to get through school, then college, and am now in my final year of a university degree. I work part time in the very a+e dept my dad as in on NYE 2000, I've managed to get stuff published, and have interviewed many famous faces in my quest to become a journalist.

Lovely.
I'm no homophobe, each to their own and all that but does that mean what I think it means???

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:59 pm

tony cunninghams willy wrote:
Verbal wrote:I rang in the year 2010 at a flat in Swinton. The flat belongs to two of my friends who have been together for about four years, and finally decided move in together - the first bit of commitment shown by any of the boys in the Pendleton College class of '06, though I guess this will change by 2020. Anywho, the evening involved a FIFA10 tournament, copious drinking, letting off fireworks, playing lots of Beatles and a lot of catching up. No fighting, though.

Lovely.
I'm no homophobe, each to their own and all that but does that mean what I think it means???
Yeah, they're black.

Nah, their opposite sexes. The bit after the hyphen in that sentence only refers to the only one of the 'boys' who finds himself in a steady relationship 4 years down the line, with a lovely girl who is also a friend that went to college.

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Verbal wrote:

Lovely.
Yeah, they're black.

Nah, their opposite sexes. The bit after the hyphen in that sentence only refers to the only one of the 'boys' who finds himself in a steady relationship 4 years down the line, with a lovely girl who is also a friend that went to college.
Thank you for clearing that up. I didn't think Swinton had its own version of Canal Street just yet.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Verbal wrote:

Lovely.
Yeah, they're black.

Thank you for clearing that up. I didn't think Swinton had its own version of Canal Street just yet.
nOSEY SOD!!!! :mrgreen:

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 am

I know what you mean. My brother recorded about 8 vhs worth- cue the dvds flying onto the shelves.

Went straight for

Unfortunately part of my childhood was ruined by realizing McCoy was sh*te.