City of Bolton?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

City of Bolton?

Post by ratbert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:12 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/488 ... tatus_bid/

At least if this comes off we won't have to change the football club name... but is Bolton worthy of city status? I'd like to say yes but I'm not sure if the reality matches my own pride.

We deserved it more than bloody Wolverhampton though :roll:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:07 pm

No happy to be a town and half the other so called city's are only towns!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:31 pm

sunderland's a city... :shock:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Swansea is a city - a pretty, shitty city...

not as Dylan Thomas had it - an ugly, lovely town!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Can anyone tell me one benefit of becoming a City? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Can anyone tell me one benefit of becoming a City? :conf:
Delusions of Grandeur
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Train engine? 'City of Bolton'? In 180 years (ish) since Stephenson's famous 'The Rocket' not one engine has been named 'xxxx Town'...

New entry on 'City Collectors' 48 hours city collection bike ride?

Newly designated cathedral allowed to bid in national save ecclesiastical buildings fund?

And in seriousness... Doesn't our town look absolutely shite at the moment?... The town centre offers fantastic options... Desperate estate agents... pound shops... charity shops... pubs with bouncers where the female clientele look tougher than the doormen... 'prize-winning' tattoo artists (prize being most cases of blood poisoning?)... fast food stalls to buy sausages (ban these forthwith!)... small shops, hanging on, sellings papers, 'health food', pies n pasties... total catastrophe of transforming market hall into empty spaces... this is shit, shit, shit...

And every single route into the town is truly vile... Chorley New Road offering the bourgeois exception... There is no imagination... No ambition... We and so many Lancashire towns are slowly sinking into nonentity...

So, Bruce... the question may not be whether we are a city... or just some anonymous 'place'...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 pm

William the White wrote:
Train engine? 'City of Bolton'? In 180 years (ish) since Stephenson's famous 'The Rocket' not one engine has been named 'xxxx Town'...

Newly designated cathedral allowed to bid in national save ecclesiastical buildings fund?

And in seriousness... Doesn't our town look absolutely shite at the moment?... The town centre offers fantastic options... Desperate estate agents... pound shops... charity shops... pubs with bouncers where the female clientele look tougher than the doormen... 'prize-winning' tattoo artists (prize being most cases of blood poisoning?)... fast food stalls to buy sausages (ban these forthwith!)... small shops, hanging on, sellings papers, 'health food', pies n pasties... total catastrophe of transforming market hall into empty spaces... this is shit, shit, shit...

And every single route into the town is truly vile... Chorley New Road offering the bourgeois exception... There is no imagination... No ambition... We and so many Lancashire towns are slowly sinking into nonentity...

So, Bruce... the question may not be whether we are a city... or just some anonymous 'place'...
Best thing about our lovely town is the fantastic new fancy bridge, the 'Gateway to Bolton', that'll be the one way street going out of Bolton then?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
William the White wrote:

Best thing about our lovely town is the fantastic new fancy bridge, the 'Gateway to Bolton', that'll be the one way street going out of Bolton then?
It says 'Welcome to Scuzz' on t'other end...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 pm

William the White wrote:
This is the "Grimsby Town" - Designer: Gresley, Built 09/03/1936, Builder: Darlington Works (LNER) number 61650

This is the "Huddersfield Town" Designer: Gresley, Built 06/04/1936, Builder: Darlington Works (LNER) number 61653

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:30 pm

I always had in my mind that a city was a town with a cathedral. Does Bolton have one? Was I wrong? No, I've done no research.

Down my way city designations seem to be random (No, I've done no research on that either). In Sydney, and I hope I'm not missing any, we have the City of Sydney itself plus the cities of Parramatta, Penrith and Liverpool. The last three are basically local government areas - although they are also suburbs. I live in The City of the Blue Mountains, which is outside the greater metropolitan area but abuts it. Down south and also abutting Sydney proper, is the City of Wollongong whilst north is the City of Newcastle although that does not directly connect with Sydney proper.

Does anyone care apart from the councillors? I doubt it. There is such a plethora of so-called cities in my neck of the woods that I think I'd rather have the title of Largest Town. Unfortunately I can't as the Blue Mountains isn't a town.

Good luck, whichever way the 'bid' (what an odd system - is it like bidding for the Olympic Games?) goes. :)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:33 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:
This is the "Grimsby Town" - Designer: Gresley, Built 09/03/1936, Builder: Darlington Works (LNER) number 61650

This is the "Huddersfield Town" Designer: Gresley, Built 06/04/1936, Builder: Darlington Works (LNER) number 61653

For pity's sake, bish, I'm trying to be serious about the City of Bolton and you offer? Two plastic models produced in hope of a big boy making a real engine...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:41 pm

William the White wrote: For pity's sake, bish, I'm trying to be serious about the City of Bolton and you offer? Two plastic models produced in hope of a big boy making a real engine...
just pointing out that there were at least TWO very real and hard-working Class B17/4 Northern engines named "xxxx town" in the face of your rather bold statement that since the Rocket "not one engine has been named 'xxxx Town'" !!

they were not merely models!!

here's a real class b17/4 - two sisters of which were called "Grimsby Town" and "Huddersfield Town"

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Oh, come on, WtW, they are probably made of ecru and not plastic. Fair's fair. :mrgreen:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 pm

A 4-6-0, the bish. Lovely. I haven't seen one of those in many a year. I wouldn't mind the configuration as our home record this year. Ah well.

As an ex-train spotter I thank you for the image. :oops:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:20 pm

:roll: I'll leave you two boys alone to play then...

just creep round the corner, you know...

Pretend i didn't see what you did together on the ecru 4-6-0...

:roll:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 pm

From my own perspective, I'd say lets become a city first, then worry about what it'll bring us later. Rather be in the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in an all that.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 pm

William the White wrote:

Agree with all of that, William, though take a trip down the road to Bury if you'd like to see a town on the way up. Bolton town centre is currently a crying shame, an embarrassment. But I'm not sure you've answered my question re: benefit, unless your answer is to say 'none whatsoever'.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
From my own perspective, I'd say lets become a city first, then worry about what it'll bring us later. Rather be in the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in an all that.
Well I'm yet to see any transformation to Preston, LK.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:28 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:

Agree with all of that, William, though take a trip down the road to Bury if you'd like to see a town on the way up. Bolton town centre is currently a crying shame, an embarrassment. But I'm not sure you've answered my question re: benefit, unless your answer is to say 'none whatsoever'.
I've been told that about Bury, Bruce, and by more than one... Tell us what they've done... btw, also been told that about Wigan... My answer is that the quality of life in our town is what is important, the rest is a chimera. Just illusory... Does being a city make a difference... No... our future doesn't lie on that designation, but on the lives lived on the estates of Breightmet or Johnson Fold, or the terraces of Daubhill and Halliwell.

But also on pride... I think that's important too... When I'm abroad and people ask where I'm from my answer is Bolton... But, in truth, I look around our place, and I don't feel proud. And i feel those that don't feel second best and apologetic often fall back on defiant. I'd like that to change.