Hungerford Style Goings On In Cumbria

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Hungerford Style Goings On In Cumbria

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:39 pm

I don't know if many of you have heard about this but this morning a man with a shotgun has gone on the rampage around West Cumbria.

As far as I know they haven't caught him yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10214661.stm

:shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Good to see Sky News isn't going down the sensationalist route either... with its live updates from any twitter account posting updates about it

"Dear me! 13 people have been shot around the whitehaven area in cumbria by a crazy guy in a car. What is the world coming too!?"

Indeed...

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Off up there on Friday for a long weekend, crikey.

10 deaths, Christ.

The only surprise here is that Sky News helicopters aren't flying around trying to capture the police shooting this maniac

Let's hope he's caught
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:58 pm

13.23 Alan Hannah, 68, of Great Broughton, tells the Whitehaven News the gunman pulled up alongside him at traffic lights near Whitehaven police station.
He says: "As I turned past the police station, I saw all these officers running out and realised something major was going on so I moved over to the right-hand lane.
"Then a car pulled up on the left, stopping at the lights.
"I saw a man with a large shotgun and his windscreen was smashed. I drove through the red light to get into Lowther Street and get out of the way. I got home safely but was very shaken."

fecking hell!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 pm

The gunman has been found dead according to reports.

they can reopen Sellafield now

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Athers wrote:13.23 Alan Hannah, 68, of Great Broughton, tells the Whitehaven News the gunman pulled up alongside him at traffic lights near Whitehaven police station.
He says: "As I turned past the police station, I saw all these officers running out and realised something major was going on so I moved over to the right-hand lane.
"Then a car pulled up on the left, stopping at the lights.
"I saw a man with a large shotgun and his windscreen was smashed. I drove through the red light to get into Lowther Street and get out of the way. I got home safely but was very shaken."

fecking hell!
Aye - he gave the same interview to 5Live. It's absolutely impossible to truly appreciate what that must have felt like.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I was in Keswick on Monday. Bloody Hell!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Sad

I love Cumbria

Glad the shooting seems to be at an end Rest in peace the victims and sympathys to those whose loved ones are dead or injured.

Sad Sad day.

hobo

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:54 pm

A disgruntled taxi driver with a loaded shotgun, doesn't sound right for Cumbria.
Troll and proud of it.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:10 pm

This was quite alarming as my daughters are in Cumbria staying with their grandparents for a few days. We always remark on how NOTHING ever happens in Cumbria and now this.

The strange thing was my neighbour couldn't wait to come round to tell me and so I spent a few minutes in panic as she couldn't recall where in Cumbria this was taking place. Do some people revel in sharing this kind of news, or is it a duty to inform others if their family may be in peril?? My other neighbour is an armed officer in the Lancashire constabulary and was called in on his shift day off. He probably hadn't even got to the M6 when it was all over.

I called my parents who were sat in the garden unawares of all the drama. Whilst they don't live in Whitehaven they do know people who do it's all very sad.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Am not too sure about quality of the response - first shooting reported 1035am, but it was about 2pm when they found his body and after he'd committed a dozen seperate shootings, and driven past a police station early on.. Too small a force for too big a geographic area I suppose.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Athers wrote:Am not too sure about quality of the response - first shooting reported 1035am, but it was about 2pm when they found his body and after he'd committed a dozen seperate shootings, and driven past a police station early on.. Too small a force for too big a geographic area I suppose.
They can only get to the scene of the first reported shooting. After that the guy could be anywhere. Unless somebody got a description of the guy, the vehicle and its registration what do they do? Only thing they can is broadcast any info and set up road-blocks thinking the guy would run miles away from the area. Obviously, he didn't. Tragic all round but I'm sure the police were frantic to nail him..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Gertie wrote:This was quite alarming as my daughters are in Cumbria staying with their grandparents for a few days. We always remark on how NOTHING ever happens in Cumbria and now this.

The strange thing was my neighbour couldn't wait to come round to tell me and so I spent a few minutes in panic as she couldn't recall where in Cumbria this was taking place. Do some people revel in sharing this kind of news, or is it a duty to inform others if their family may be in peril?? My other neighbour is an armed officer in the Lancashire constabulary and was called in on his shift day off. He probably hadn't even got to the M6 when it was all over.

I called my parents who were sat in the garden unawares of all the drama. Whilst they don't live in Whitehaven they do know people who do it's all very sad.
Think if I'd been your neighbur I'd have done the same Gert. At least you could ring and warn your parents. Probably had your best interest at heart.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Im sat watching the news at home now and I cant believe the scale of this. I was skeptical at first of the way the media was beginning to report it but this is a terrible event and one which will sadly go down in history.

I think just how random each attack was and the location of it all is chilling. The fallout from this will last for months and years, a shocking crime.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:52 pm

38 people killed or injured.. Absolutely horrible
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 pm

That's what I can't understand, hours on end he was roaming around. Surely there can't be that many roads? They even predicted he was on his way to Boot and warned residents to stay indoors, how could they not catch him before he got there? They had his reg since the first shooting.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:31 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:That's what I can't understand, hours on end he was roaming around. Surely there can't be that many roads? They even predicted he was on his way to Boot and warned residents to stay indoors, how could they not catch him before he got there? They had his reg since the first shooting.
And he went up and down the same roads more than once apparently
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 pm

Have to say it's hard to imagine the Cumbrian police being well trained and up to speed on random killers roaming the roads of one of England's largest counties with one of its smallest police forces (for good reason)...

What has happened is beyond horrible but I'd be slow to judgement here...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:16 am

Could anybody envisage something like this happening anywhere, let alone in Cumbria? Crime prevention can't apply in something like this; it's only a case of police being involved after the crime occured. This is somebody who flipped and just shot people down, anybody in his path it appears. Since he killed himself it's a pity he didn't just do it in the first instance instead of murdering a bunch of innocent people along the way. The big question remains: Why?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 am

I suspect Tango, like far too many places on this sceptred isle, there may be reasons found among the high unemployemt and general hopelessness of many a person in the shithole that is West Cumbria these days. This isn't the place where everyone goes hiking, its old semi-industrial working towns with not much going on. Might be, might not be, but when everyone keeps saying "why Cumbria?", I hear the voices of my old work colleagues, who to a man and woman described the area as shite.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.