Colours What I Have Worn ...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Colours What I Have Worn ...

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:47 pm

I was having a bit of a muse the other day & wondering about all the football strips I'd worn in my playing time. My playing time now being well over this is NOT going to added to.

It's been quite a range.

At Junior school we wore blue shirts, white shorts ... Everton style, and White shirts, navy shorts, Bolton style (one, rather odd, guy insisted it was 'Spurs style' ??). Both were quite nice & rather harmless.

Off to Grammar school and that, being Thornleigh, was Old-Gold with black shorts. Despite the Wolves implications I always thought it was quite classy. My house team wore all blue - a la Chelsea. During this time I played for Bolton Boys .... back to the Bolton style White & Navy and in my early teens, a team called Horwich Saviours, which my dad said was blasphemous (my dad was odd) ... but were actually run by a guy called Dave Saviour. We played in all sky blue (a la Coventry) & very nice it was too.

I later joined Old Riv's in the Lancs Amateur League ... Red & Black stripes & black shorts (Citeh, who actually had been quite massive around this time, change strip).

Off to Uni at Leeds and played 3rd, 2nd & occasionally first team ... this meant all burgundy (3rd), all Green (2nd) and a quite delightful Green & White stripes, with green shorts (1st). We did have a short time wearing Green Shorts with a white top, trimmed with Green until Kev Atkins washed it ... & the shirts became “hint of green” ... we were years ahead of our time !

I played one season for Horwich RMI, almost by accident, They were broke & let all their contract players go & so they came hunting for players. I was out of my depth, but out of my depth in the nice blue & white stripe with white shorts of my home town.

After Uni’ I lived in Chester and played for a team in a fetching Yellow shirts, royal blue shorts. Very pleasant. I’d say which team that was like, but can’t think of anyone (Newcastle change strip, maybe ?). Then joined Capenhurst in the West Cheshire ... playing in blue shorts and broad blue & white stripes. I’d say that was like Chester’s ... except it actually was Chester’s from the season before. I touched Ian Rush’s shirt !

Later joining a team called Mynydd Isa (Low Mountain that means ... in England that’d be a hill then). They played in a gold colour until the first match of the season in came the manager with a new kit, with a sponsor’s name on it (a first for me) in .... wait for it .... red, with white shorts. Rotherham United I think. This was wrong, simply wrong. Clearly I couldn’t stay there, so soon after joined another club Buckley Town ... a nice white with red shorts they had. Later to join Mold Alex in the Welsh National League, I wore a nice all blue number.

I moved, briefly, to Warrington & joined DATEN a ‘Nuclear’ team, playing again in Blue & White Stripes, but black shorts this time ... as per Sheffield Wednesday. Nice

Returning to North Wales I saw my time out with a team called Overton who, regrettably, wore red. At least all red this time so more Liverpool than Stretford. I packed in playing for them ... & anyone else for that matter ... when, one day, the referee overtook me as I ‘ran’ for the ball. That was a sign.

Never played in ‘oops, never in an Arsenal/Villa type concoction, never in halves, or quarters of any description, thankfully.

Any other history worth telling ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:04 pm

My school footy shirt was dark blue with a yellow stripe across, of fabric as heavy as a wet towel. I later played five-a-side in a scratchy-material sky blue shirt with white shorts.

The duff fabric was obviously why I played so badly. :roll:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:05 pm

No

:)

Our junior school was the 'richest' in the town

We had home and away kits, c/w England (look a like, blue with red and white stripes) shorts

T'other schools had owt they could get together

My secondary school - state grammar - also had the wolves shit

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Re: Colours What I Have Worn ...

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:14 pm

bobo the clown wrote: Off to Grammar school and that, being Thornleigh, was Old-Gold with black shorts. Despite the Wolves implications I always thought it was quite classy. My house team wore all blue - a la Chelsea.
So you were one of the ladyboys in St Alban's house then, Bobo. You loser!!

You should have manned up and become a member of St Aidan's house. Then you could have played in the rather fetching green and white number I wore when winning the Junior Cup in 1969. (A very good year, as I recall.) :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Worn lots over the years,mostly forgotten in the mists of memory. Never forget St Josephs though, green and red quarters for the first XI. Loved that strip even though it weighed a ton when it rained (as it very often did). :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 am

I can't remember. Well it was soooo many years ago. Probably around 1960/1961. For a reason I have never managed to sort out I was selected for my school's football team. The school's colours (the school tie anyway) was - and still is - black and red.

Memory can be so cruel when compared with reality. Anyway my rapidly deteriorating memory tells me that we ran in black shorts and white tops.

So there!

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:38 am

Never played at school, but I came on as sub once for the London based Bolton supporters club when they were short of players. We had one of the club's old strips, think it was the yellow one with blue pinstripes.
:D

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 am

Green and white stripes for school which was a nice kit. My first club side played in green and white hoops, Celtic style, with either green or white shorts. I then moved to a team with green and black stripes which was a smart one, before ending up at a club who wore orange (The same club where Gavin McCann learned his 'stuff' as an interesting aside!). Over my years there this varied from the fluorescant orange Wigan style to a darker burned orange and black.

Oh, and my 5 aside team plays in Cardiff City's away shirt from 2006! Bright yellow!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:32 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
bobo the clown wrote: Off to Grammar school and that, being Thornleigh, was Old-Gold with black shorts. Despite the Wolves implications I always thought it was quite classy. My house team wore all blue - a la Chelsea.

You should have manned up and become a member of St Aidan's house. Then you could have played in the rather fetching green and white number I wore when winning the Junior Cup in 1969. (A very good year, as I recall.) :wink:
Apologies to those of you for whom Thorneigh is no memory or at best a distant one, but this cannot be allowed to pass.

Ladyboys indeed. Just because we were not card-carrying members of the Kray Twins Northern Division don't get us mixed up with weirdos who wore oxford bags, doc martens & had skinheads by choice rather than nature. Yobs with a crucifix, basically. .... or Jesuits anywhere else.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:25 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:

Apologies to those of you for whom Thorneigh is no memory or at best a distant one, but this cannot be allowed to pass.

Ladyboys indeed. Just because we were not card-carrying members of the Kray Twins Northern Division don't get us mixed up with weirdos who wore oxford bags, doc martens & had skinheads by choice rather than nature. Yobs with a crucifix, basically. .... or Jesuits anywhere else.
Speaking as an Ex-Blue myself Zulu I can only state my disappointment in your apparent memory loss. Or perhaps it was different in your day, but St Albans ran Aidan's Chad's and Peter's all over the Ambulacurum. :mrgreen:

You'll be telling me you were one of the Alpha, Beta or Delta gayers next! :roll:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:32 am

Red and Gold of De La Salle (Rugby)

Black and White at Broughton Park (Rugby)

Blue at Tyldesley (Rugby)

White for Swinton Moorside (Cricket)

White for Monton (Cricket)

White for Civil Service (Cricket)

White with a Red Rose (Lancs Schools) (Cricket)

Gold and Brown (kit sponsored by Boddies) - Swinton Vic's FC.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:45 am

At primary school we had no league to play in (what!) and so only played one match which was a friendly in 15 year old faded green jumpers, we won 13-0...

For my junior team which everyone from said school played for for years-

Mainly Gold with Black shorts and socks, but also had some Inter style blue and black stripes for a while, and green and black.

Didn't play for secondary school team as they were one of the best teams in the country and I wasn't good enough.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:23 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:No

We had home and away kits,

and you take the piss out of Pru?? :wink:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:34 pm

thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:No

We had home and away kits,

and you take the piss out of Pru?? :wink:
Ah - now it's mentioned we had 2 kits at school. The main one was dark green and white halves, and the second was lighter green and white stripes.