Most disturbing film ever?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Hands down a harrowing film that needs to be watched once but I wouldn't watch again.
Yep...

Interesting dichotomy here - those that find the emotional/psychological disturbing, those depictions of the physical...

I do recognise that most will have elements of both, so I'm really just referring to where the primary emphasis resides...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm

I think even the graphic events described in some films (that Serbian wiki thing) there's a big element of psychological. Violence and gore is ten a penny, but the truly disturbing stuff plays with the head too

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Hands down a harrowing film that needs to be watched once but I wouldn't watch again.

haven't seen the film, read the book though. Actually made me cry.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 pm

I need to read the book, but watched the film and sobbed like a little girl.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:55 pm

The film is definitely moving, but lacks integrity with the received English accents of the German characters.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:32 am

Audition is your Japanese one.

The scariest thing is her voice, with that 'kiri kiri kiri kiri' bit......

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:32 am

Man bites dog is brilliant.

How about Happiness. The scene between the father and son when he confesses is as disturbing as it gets.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:13 pm

East Lower wrote:Audition is your Japanese one.

The scariest thing is her voice, with that 'kiri kiri kiri kiri' bit......
She's trying to say "Killy, killy, killy, killy"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Surely Mama Mia is the most disturbing
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Salo is awful, to much eating shit scenes for my liking....
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:20 pm

William the White wrote:
Yep...

Interesting dichotomy here - those that find the emotional/psychological disturbing, those depictions of the physical...

I do recognise that most will have elements of both, so I'm really just referring to where the primary emphasis resides...
I find reality far more disturbing than the imaginary products of people setting out to air their imaginations on "horror".
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I once watched a french 'short'. A couple wake up in a car on a lonely forest track, handcuffed to handbrake. Then they decide the only way to escape is cut their hands off to free themselves. Plain weird slo mo of 'em hacking each other.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Il Pirate wrote:I once watched a french 'short'. A couple wake up in a car on a lonely forest track, handcuffed to handbrake. Then they decide the only way to escape is cut their hands off to free themselves. Plain weird slo mo of 'em hacking each other.
I think I might have had a go at dismantling the handbrake first, myself. Just saying like. :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:I once watched a french 'short'. A couple wake up in a car on a lonely forest track, handcuffed to handbrake. Then they decide the only way to escape is cut their hands off to free themselves. Plain weird slo mo of 'em hacking each other.
I think I might have had a go at dismantling the handbrake first, myself. Just saying like. :D
:lol:

There's a really good French kidnap one, about a kidnap surprisingly. Called The Vanishing or something similar and is about 25 years old. I highly recommend it but it's a bit odd.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 pm

East Lower wrote:

There's a really good French kidnap one, about a kidnap surprisingly. Called The Vanishing or something similar and is about 25 years old. I highly recommend it but it's a bit odd.
yes i know The Vanishing, (Dutch i thought?) saw it years ago, might dig it out!
Last edited by General Mannerheim on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
East Lower wrote:

yes i know The Vanishing, (Dutch i thought?) saw it years ago, might did it out!
I knew it was something like French or Dutch. Either way they had strange beards

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm not sure if it's the same film, but similar - the couple are holding hands when their car crashes, she wakes up, he's dead and has gone to rigor mortis stage, meaning her hand is trapped in his. She then tries all extreme escape solutions and the film ends with her walking through the woods with his disembodied hand attached to hers.

Another VERY disturbing short film is this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065513/

Oh, and The Vanishing; avoid the US remake and its 'happy' ending.
Last edited by ratbert on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm

East Lower wrote: There's a really good French kidnap one, about a kidnap surprisingly. Called The Vanishing or something similar and is about 25 years old. I highly recommend it but it's a bit odd.
One of the first French films I saw (way back) was Wages of Fear, about guys driving nitro-glycerine waggons. At the time it put the shxts up a few of us.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 pm

After putting some thought into this very interesting question I think the single most disturbing film I've seen is the brilliant City of God.

And the scene when the child, shaking and fearful, performs his first murder may be the most disturbing single scene.

I'd nominate this as film of the decade if anyone asked me...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:17 pm

William the White wrote:After putting some thought into this very interesting question I think the single most disturbing film I've seen is the brilliant City of God.

And the scene when the child, shaking and fearful, performs his first murder may be the most disturbing single scene.

I'd nominate this as film of the decade if anyone asked me...
Is that the Brazilian prison film?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"