Wearing a poppy?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Always. And proud to.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:50 pm

thebish wrote:I always wear one - in fact - I organise a large field of remembrance on our church lawns where people place poppy-crosses in the lawns in memory of loved ones - and will be leading a ceremony of remembrance there tomorrow at 11am.

HOWEVER - just like Jon Snow - I object to people insisting I wear one.
I think it's this thats bothering me, this insistence on wearing it.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... -1.1066550

Celtic fans in link to Irish republicanism shocker
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:52 pm

William the White wrote:Twelve years ago I, together with his family, planted a miniature Lancashire rose at the grave of a Bolton soldier shot at dawn in World War 1. He was a regular soldier, of the Lancashire Fusiliers. He fought in the Dardanelles, the Somme and Passchendaele. He was wounded in 1916 and executed in 1917 after leaving the front line just before an imminent push. I had the job of examining his life. And, through that, the lives of common soldiers in those terrible times.
Was this the chap who the play was based on? Early one morning iirc? I saw it at the Octagon - a truly moving piece of theatre.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote: I think it's this thats bothering me, this insistence on wearing it.
I've actually never heard of anyone being forced to wear a poppy. It's always been there and supported by those who wish to do so. Like others I've bought and lost them before now, but the wearing for what they represent - in memory of those who died fighting for our freedom in Two World Wars - has always been the motivating force. A party of Bolton school kids recently went to visit Auchwitz purely as a reminder of those terrible times. It had nothing to do with events since. "Lest we forget" is what poppies really represent.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote: I think it's this thats bothering me, this insistence on wearing it.
I've actually never heard of anyone being forced to wear a poppy. It's always been there and supported by those who wish to do so. Like others I've bought and lost them before now, but the wearing for what they represent - in memory of those who died fighting for our freedom in Two World Wars - has always been the motivating force. A party of Bolton school kids recently went to visit Auchwitz purely as a reminder of those terrible times. It had nothing to do with events since. "Lest we forget" is what poppies really represent.
It is an insistence though, look at the people here wearing them (which there is nothing wrong with). It is implied that you 'should' wear one. Well I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to. I still take part in the silence, and still pay my respects at the Cenotaph, but I don't want to wear a poppy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm

East Lower wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
It is an insistence though, look at the people here wearing them (which there is nothing wrong with). It is implied that you 'should' wear one. Well I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to. I still take part in the silence, and still pay my respects at the Cenotaph, but I don't want to wear a poppy.
Sorry, don't agree. Nobody insists on anything to do with wearing a poppy. It's pesonal choice, ie I do, you don't. I doubt if any single person here wears them from insistence. If you don't want to wer one, you don't. No problem.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
I've actually never heard of anyone being forced to wear a poppy.

this was Jon Snow's contention - that he - being in broadcasting - was pretty much required/pressured/forced to wear one DAYS in advance of remembrance day BECAUSE he is a BBC broadcaster.

Nicky Campbell tells the story of how - this year - he was on an Outside Broadcast doing some recording - a couple of weeks ago (ie- weeks ahread of remembrance day) and a passing member of the public told him he was a disgrace for not wearing a poppy. He calmly explained that the programme he was recording (for TV) was fue to go out next March...

(also - whilst technically not being "forced" to wear one - my life would be made VERY uncomfortable if I didn't wear one on Remembrance Sunday.)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:17 pm

TV broadcasters are probably required to wear them as part of a "uniform" - they also wear ties and jackets. But no one in the general public is obliged to wear one, and I'd guess about half don't. I always do and have for sixty years. This is not just in remembrance of my family members who served (my great uncle was awarded the DSO at Passchendale serving with the Fusiliers), but rather for all those who served and serve for our ideals. Granted the politicians sometimes get it wrong and we get in wars we should not (though I disagree about Afghanistan - we should have gone in though perhaps we should have got out earlier). I think we also wear the poppy in remembrance of the fact that modern war is not a good thing and should be avoided if possible.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:28 pm

thebish wrote: (also - whilst technically not being "forced" to wear one - my life would be made VERY uncomfortable if I didn't wear one on Remembrance Sunday.)
I suppose anyone in the public eye may be subjected to opinionism more than anyone else. End of day, it's just your ( not you personally) opinion against anyone else's as to how you see it .War has never been about the man in the street. Government and Generals in power do the deciding. To me, wearing the poppy is about rmembering the poor buggers who had to abide by those decisions. In that, they're guilty of nothing except putting their lives on the line for th ideals of others. In a World War, there were no choices at all. As I said earlier, it's all about "Lest We Forget".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:TV broadcasters are probably required to wear them as part of a "uniform" - they also wear ties and jackets.
that is precisely Snow's contention. But it is manifestly NOT part of the uniform - else they would wear it all year round. And if it is - why do they not ALL have to wear pink ribbons for breast cancer week - why pick one fund-raising symbol and make all your employees wear it and not another?

to MAKE people wear it devalues it.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:37 pm

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:TV broadcasters are probably required to wear them as part of a "uniform" - they also wear ties and jackets.
that is precisely Snow's contention. But it is manifestly NOT part of the uniform - else they would wear it all year round. And if it is - why do they not ALL have to wear pink ribbons for breast cancer week - why pick one fund-raising symbol and make all your employees wear it and not another?

to MAKE people wear it devalues it.
I believe our broadcasters do wear other symbols at the appropriate time (and obviously not all year round). I imagine it is part of the station's policy, and stations may vary in what they require. I sometimes wear the pink ribbon but not always. I think there is a difference between the poppy and other fund raising symbols. We should support research in to diseases and sympathize with those afflicted, but to me it is not quite the same as those who give their life for a cause. It is not something I would want to argue about - I merely noted that all live broadcasters on TSN (our sports network) wear a poppy in the first 11 days of November so I assume it is required of them.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:52 pm

jon snow would wear a hammer and sickle before wearing a poppy.

this facisim talk is a red herring, he wants to go to work in a che t-shirt.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:17 pm

a1 wrote:jon snow would wear a hammer and sickle before wearing a poppy.

this facisim talk is a red herring, he wants to go to work in a che t-shirt.

utter bollox - he wore a poppy today - he objects to being made to wear it for the whole of november.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:23 pm

thsi does get on my knackers though... (had a few of these today...)
I just supported #Remembrance Day Poppy by adding a sticker to my facebook profile picture. Get the sticker and show your support now at http://twb.ly/adsAzS

well whoop-de-doo - well done you.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
William the White wrote:Twelve years ago I, together with his family, planted a miniature Lancashire rose at the grave of a Bolton soldier shot at dawn in World War 1. He was a regular soldier, of the Lancashire Fusiliers. He fought in the Dardanelles, the Somme and Passchendaele. He was wounded in 1916 and executed in 1917 after leaving the front line just before an imminent push. I had the job of examining his life. And, through that, the lives of common soldiers in those terrible times.
Was this the chap who the play was based on? Early one morning iirc? I saw it at the Octagon - a truly moving piece of theatre.
Yes, Private Jim Smith. You are right - the play was called Early One Morning. I'm really glad you saw it and found it moving. Rest in Peace, Jimmy.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 pm

thebish wrote: utter bollox - he wore a poppy today - he objects to being made to wear it for the whole of november.
he's sed this kinda stuff before to get his red mates riled up. he's not a critic (like them american nobs like keith olbermann , billy oreilly etc). he might want to be but he's not.

just read the news , newsreader.

equating the poppy to fascism is arse backwards , its almost like he's thought of the "worst" comparision on purpose.

if he was that arsed he'd jack his job in.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:44 pm

a1 wrote:
thebish wrote: utter bollox - he wore a poppy today - he objects to being made to wear it for the whole of november.
he's sed this kinda stuff before to get his red mates riled up. he's not a critic (like them american nobs like keith olbermann , billy oreilly etc). he might want to be but he's not.

equating the poppy to fascism is arse backwards , its almost like he's thought of the "worst" comparision on purpose.

I don't understand any of this.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:17 pm

thebish wrote:
a1 wrote:

Nor I. Arse backwards is esrA?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:
a1 wrote:

Nor I. Arse backwards is esrA?
ahhh - the Old Testament prophet?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:26 pm

There is a moving video by a Canadian songwriter concerning the minutes of silence called 'A Pittance of Time'. for those who may be interested.