Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-deplo ... in-glasgo/

This. Incredibly fulfilling to know there is some decency and reasonableness left in society even if you might have to go to Scotland to find it. Heart warming. All these people deserve medals.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 13, 2021 8:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-deplo ... in-glasgo/

This. Incredibly fulfilling to know there is some decency and reasonableness left in society even if you might have to go to Scotland to find it. Heart warming. All these people deserve medals.
Aye, it's nae bad up here :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:53 pm

Got a new job this morning. 😃

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:17 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:53 pm
Congrats G.G. Best of luck with it. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:17 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:53 pm
Congrats G.G. Best of luck with it. :D
Thanks Tango!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:28 am

As a counter point to the understandable stuff on the sister thread...

I'd love to say I was surprised when I woke up groggy eyed on Monday to find out there were already stories of racial abuse aimed at Saka, Sancho and Rashford. I wasn't.

I really was surprised at how overwhelming the response was. Screenshot after screenshot of their social media filled with messages of support.

So many lovely moments even over the last few days. From that lovely overhead video of Kalin Phillips breaking off to run over to console Saka as the Italians (understandably) charged around him to celebrate. Southgate's huge bear hug for him. Grealish giving his boots to that young lad. Mount giving his shirt to the young girl then sending her a video message. Then the constant, calmly measured approach from them all, even Mings' dig at Priti Patel was calm and measured, like Rashford dealing with the government over the past 2 years on school meals.

Then more widely the scenes in Wythenshawe today at the Rashford mural, the fact that the Daily Mail and the Sun had positive headlines (I'm backing them to follow, not lead, there).

There's hope.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:28 am
As a counter point to the understandable stuff on the sister thread...

I'd love to say I was surprised when I woke up groggy eyed on Monday to find out there were already stories of racial abuse aimed at Saka, Sancho and Rashford. I wasn't.

I really was surprised at how overwhelming the response was. Screenshot after screenshot of their social media filled with messages of support.

So many lovely moments even over the last few days. From that lovely overhead video of Kalin Phillips breaking off to run over to console Saka as the Italians (understandably) charged around him to celebrate. Southgate's huge bear hug for him. Grealish giving his boots to that young lad. Mount giving his shirt to the young girl then sending her a video message. Then the constant, calmly measured approach from them all, even Mings' dig at Priti Patel was calm and measured, like Rashford dealing with the government over the past 2 years on school meals.

Then more widely the scenes in Wythenshawe today at the Rashford mural, the fact that the Daily Mail and the Sun had positive headlines (I'm backing them to follow, not lead, there).

There's hope.
Yep I agree. It felt like something good came out of it. The debate was raised and the media responded. The Sun and DM though have stoked the fires forever so I don’t think I’d assume for one second they won’t revert back to type as soon as they think public opinion will allow them to. Exposing the racism and racist enablers at the top of our government and in the media has to be the first step to fixing the problem.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:02 pm

Notification, finally, that next month's Green Man Festival is ON. And I can't wait to see from Mogwai to Jose Gonzalez and every feck* in between perform. Actually, to say I can't wait is to understate beyond mere words themselves. :pissed: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :pissed:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:41 pm

After channeling his inner ‘Shaun’ youngest starred as errr, sheep, in the school year 2 nativity today. Nothing gets me more teary eyed then things like this, kids singing and acting the Christmas story. Feel much more in the festive spirit now and trying not to think that it may well be the last time I watch a school nativity! :(

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 pm

Today, the non verbal girl who I teach at work and also at the athletics club I coach at spoke to me! She occasionally speaks to her classmates but barely ever to an adult so I felt honoured. She was only explaining to me where her trainers were but I’m taking it as a small victory! She also took part in the netball drill we were doing rather then ran away from the ball like last week - progress!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:48 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 pm
Today, the non verbal girl who I teach at work and also at the athletics club I coach at spoke to me! She occasionally speaks to her classmates but barely ever to an adult so I felt honoured. She was only explaining to me where her trainers were but I’m taking it as a small victory! She also took part in the netball drill we were doing rather then ran away from the ball like last week - progress!
That maybe because she's taller than you so doesn't take you seriously? :D

That's really nice is that GG. You've obviously made a positive difference in that kids life. Must almost make up for all the back chat you must get from some of the others!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:28 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:48 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 pm
That maybe because she's taller than you so doesn't take you seriously? :D

That's really nice is that GG. You've obviously made a positive difference in that kids life. Must almost make up for all the back chat you must get from some of the others!
Ha, not quite yet. She’s the same age as the twins, year 6 (4th year juniors to you!) The year 8’s however, mostly tower above me! :oops:

And yes, makes up for the inevitable bad lessons with tricky kids we get too!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:15 am

When to meet my first cousin once removed (?), my cousin's little 3 day old. Held him and he immediately vommed on me. His dad is a (part-time) Preston fan so he needs saving. Thought it would be bad form to proselytise, so we've bought him a non-denominational lion called Crofty :wink:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:19 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:15 am
When to meet my first cousin once removed (?), my cousin's little 3 day old. Held him and he immediately vommed on me. His dad is a (part-time) Preston fan so he needs saving. Thought it would be bad form to proselytise, so we've bought him a non-denominational lion called Crofty :wink:
Subtle. I like it. My nephew supports Spurs. My sister asked yesterday if I’d like to take him to an Arsenal - Spurs game sometime (he’s never been to a match before). The slightly more muted version of “when hell freezes over” that I gave didn’t go down too well I don’t think.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 14, 2022 12:15 pm

Is there a finer moment, than a bacon barm and mug of tea in the garden?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 19, 2022 11:59 am

Handing my notice in...........

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 19, 2022 1:50 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:59 am
It is very cathartic :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:50 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
God yes. Just wish I had the nuts to tell my old manager some of the reasons I'm leaving but I'll stick to the tried and trusted.....at least until the notice period expires in 3 months. :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 19, 2022 9:09 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
God yes. Just wish I had the nuts to tell my old manager some of the reasons I'm leaving but I'll stick to the tried and trusted.....at least until the notice period expires in 3 months. :D
I've been very honest in the past. One time it did come back to haunt me and cost me a fantastic job years later, but the pleasure at the time outweighed the lost job in the end :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Just wish I had the nuts to tell my old manager some of the reasons I'm leaving but I'll stick to the tried and trusted.....at least until the notice period expires in 3 months. :D
I did. One day it all got too much and I saw the red light. No going back after that but I got another job eventually . Cost me a lot at the time , although three years later the same boss persuaded me back ...till the next time. Some battles in life are unwinnable. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?