Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:50 pm
Football used to be a game for the public school boys. Then northern towns got into the mix. I'm sure there were people who complained then about workers playing football and their results being reported and newspapers 'pushing an agenda'....

I don't get being insecure about the order football or sporting results are presented in.

Also importance is rather relative. You may have a smaller crowd but I'm guessing if you polled the country more would have interest in Arsenal women vs Chelsea women or whatever than Bolton vs Colchester. Its just the way it is.
It's bugger all to do with insecure. Maybe that's why you don't get it :-)

I would like to be able to customize my user experience to be able to get straight to the bits I want to see. It's 2021 FFS. :-) I want to filter darts out of my headlines and horse racing too coz I'm not fussed about them.
I was picking up mainly on HG’s comment that putting women’s scores first is ‘dumbing down’ and pushing an agenda...

I agree about filters to an extent except given the political climate you’d have people exposed to even less news that actually informs them which potentially is dangerous...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Football used to be a game for the public school boys. Then northern towns got into the mix. I'm sure there were people who complained then about workers playing football and their results being reported and newspapers 'pushing an agenda'....

I don't get being insecure about the order football or sporting results are presented in.

Also importance is rather relative. You may have a smaller crowd but I'm guessing if you polled the country more would have interest in Arsenal women vs Chelsea women or whatever than Bolton vs Colchester. Its just the way it is.

I would like to be able to customize my user experience to be able to get straight to the bits I want to see. It's 2021 FFS. :-) I want to filter darts out of my headlines and horse racing too coz I'm not fussed about them.
I was picking up mainly on HG’s comment that putting women’s scores first is ‘dumbing down’ and pushing an agenda...

I agree about filters to an extent except given the political climate you’d have people exposed to even less news that actually informs them which potentially is dangerous...
That last bit. It's a personal choice.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Football, it's a game isn't it? Not sure why we need to differentiate so much. It's all governed by money anyway. I watch both at international level "been doing so for ages" and can name most of the England women's team. What's the problem? Back in 1940/1950 I had two cousins who played for Dick Kerr's women's XL .

If women are playing, it's women's football, if men, it's men's, thus. Nothing can change that fact.If more women watched and played football than men, Sky and co would change all the adverts that way but sharpish. "Equality" is nearly always spelled "role reversal"from some faction feeling badly done to by another, usually onlookers. "Other side of the fence" etc. It's a game and the ones raking the money in are the sponsors and corporations, shareholders and bookies.. Take them away and jumpers for goalposts would be back in fashion.

On with it...

he amount who watch either is down to the watchers, not equations.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 pm
Dick Kerr's women's XI .

Whoever came up with that and got away with it was a fecking genius. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 pm
Dick Kerr's women's XI .

Whoever came up with that and got away with it was a fecking genius. :lol:
Tis the truth.. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 pm

Gosh, these women! Filtering their way into everything eh?! :roll: :wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rowing/5654 ... d8p9JzcsD4

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:31 pm

Were Harry, Bruce and Worthys great grandparents on the FA board?! :shock: :wink:

An interesting read that mentions Dick Kerrs ladies.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/fir ... lily-parr/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:46 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 pm

I think you might have got me wrong. I'm a huge supporter of equality, so I wouldn't have men's and women's categories in sport, I'd just ensure there was one version of the sport that either sex (and any in between) could play in. Surely that's what equality is about? ;-)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:46 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

I think you might have got me wrong. I'm a huge supporter of equality, so I wouldn't have men's and women's categories in sport, I'd just ensure there was one version of the sport that either sex (and any in between) could play in. Surely that's what equality is about? ;-)
Fine by me. I used to play most of my 5 a side football as a teenager with a bunch of lads 5-10 years older then me and had a great time. They did sometimes actually cheat by lifting me physically off the ball which I thought was a tad unfair, 🤔 but it was easily as much fun as playing ‘properly’ for a woman’s team in my 20’s and 30’s.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Fine by me. I used to play most of my 5 a side football as a teenager with a bunch of lads 5-10 years older then me and had a great time. They did sometimes actually cheat by lifting me physically off the ball which I thought was a tad unfair, 🤔 but it was easily as much fun as playing ‘properly’ for a woman’s team in my 20’s and 30’s.
Yay! Agreed.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Yay! Agreed.
:D

The endless ‘swapping shirts’ jokes at the end get a bit tiresome though! :roll:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:59 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Yay! Agreed.
:D

The endless ‘swapping shirts’ jokes at the end get a bit tiresome though! :roll:
Well it would.....if you kept asking them. 😉

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah it is. But we’ve seen where online echo chambers take you especially recent events in the USA. Not sure we want to risk making that any worse. As an example it might be a choice of Covid deniers to turn off any health news via a filter so they are never exposed to any data other than that presented by their social media bubbles. Whilst on an individual level that’s choice it’s also dangerous.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:18 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah it is. But we’ve seen where online echo chambers take you especially recent events in the USA. Not sure we want to risk making that any worse. As an example it might be a choice of Covid deniers to turn off any health news via a filter so they are never exposed to any data other than that presented by their social media bubbles. Whilst on an individual level that’s choice it’s also dangerous.
That's up to them. If Covid deniers want to do that, their choice. I don't like what's on TV, I switch over. I don't like the reporting in a paper, I don't read it. I don't like what some bugger is saying in a pub, I wander off and talk to someone else. This is no different.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:41 pm

Our result today was so poor, it deserves to be read out after the Gloucester and district Ladies 2nd division scores.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:41 pm
Our result today was so poor, it deserves to be read out after the Gloucester and district Ladies 2nd division scores.
Bad enough to get rid of the facial hair?!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:22 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Up to you GG but would it not be a bit of a sacrifice to do it for your 2nd team? :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:22 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Up to you GG but would it not be a bit of a sacrifice to do it for your 2nd team? :D
Well yes, but my moustache could do with a little trim...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Today I was happy when I saw the look on my sons face having told him that he (and his dad who’s account he does it from) had won £500 on super 6. He was made up when the tooth fairy eventually remembered to leave him £1 this morning so you can imagine how he felt with this news (Though he won’t be getting anywhere near all of it!)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:07 pm
Today I was happy when I saw the look on my sons face having told him that he (and his dad who’s account he does it from) had won £500 on super 6. He was made up when the tooth fairy eventually remembered to leave him £1 this morning so you can imagine how he felt with this news (Though he won’t be getting anywhere near all of it!)
Nice one! Next match is on you. 😉