Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Enoch » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:57 am
Knowing that everyone loves Genesis, today I'm happy about scoring 2 tickets for their first tour since 2007! :-)

Turn it on again.

My bank on the other hand isn't half as happy :-(

They were my favourite band through puberty, saw them live several times. ...And then There Were Three... was the last of their album's I bought, they'd already lost it for me by then.

Enjoy your evening, I'd rather see Gabriel though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:19 am

Phil Collins once brought out an album entitled 'Hello, I Must Be Going', yet here he is again, the tedious old c*nt.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 am

Enoch wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:57 am
Knowing that everyone loves Genesis, today I'm happy about scoring 2 tickets for their first tour since 2007! :-)

Turn it on again.

My bank on the other hand isn't half as happy :-(

They were my favourite band through puberty, saw them live several times. ...And then There Were Three... was the last of their album's I bought, they'd already lost it for me by then.

Enjoy your evening, I'd rather see Gabriel though.
2007 whilst not Gabriel (and I prefer Gabriel too) was an awesome gig. Story to tell.

It was on my birthday and the day before I didn't have a ticket - so went out on the piss and whilst I was getting potted, I ordered one ticket at face value on some really shady site. Thinking it was some sort of scam, but worth the gamble, I dutifully crashed out about 04:00 in the morning...waking at around mid-day, I was surprised to see I'd had a response and as I'd DM'd my moby number a good few missed calls...

I phone the fella up, yes he's got a ticket and yes it's now mine, how can he get said ticket to me? We discussed his route to the gig and it transpires he's going there within a couple of miles of our gaff and he could give me a lift. At this point, I'm wondering if he's some sort of psycho murderer. So I go to the pub opposite our gaff and on cue he turns up with a couple of girlies and gives me a lift to the gig too.

After the gig, I say thanks very much and with all the traffic, head off to the nearest pub. About 45 minutes after the gig, he calls me up to tell me he's stuck on the car park and do I want a lift home too!

All in all, excellent service for a face value ticket! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:26 pm

In the midst of a truly terrible time, a small thing, even irrelevant to some, but I'm just happy and thankful for those lives God has spared so far. May the recipients be aware of it and blame the bad elements in our societies instead of the will of God. For those we need look no further than the mindless behaviour of some of our own local neighbourhoods. Don't blame the will of God for the work of the devil and just accept that the Yin and the Yang do exist in everything, whatever name you choose to call them.. God bless you all.

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Youngest child (reception age) went back to school today. He had a good time, it wasn’t too weird for him (though he appeared to have watched a lot of tv which he could have done at home...) and his elder brother and sister were quite happy to see the back of him for a bit too! House was substantially quieter... It’s nice to have some signs things are slowly getting back to normal.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:52 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:10 pm
Youngest child (reception age) went back to school today. He had a good time, it wasn’t too weird for him (though he appeared to have watched a lot of tv which he could have done at home...) and his elder brother and sister were quite happy to see the back of him for a bit too! House was substantially quieter... It’s nice to have some signs things are slowly getting back to normal.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is reception age?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:52 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
5/6 years old

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:54 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
5/6 years old
That’s year 1. Reception is 4 and 5 year olds

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:54 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
5/6 years old
I was close. Maths was never my strong point.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:40 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
5/6 years old
Thanks. An odd term. Is it when they are "received" onto the school system? Or some other obscure derivation?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:12 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:40 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
5/6 years old
Thanks. An odd term. Is it when they are "received" onto the school system? Or some other obscure derivation?

I’m not sure where it came from but that seems as good a guess as anyway. Afterwards it then goes in primary education year 1 up to when they leave in year 6 age 11.

Maybe in North America/Canada the equivalent is kindergarten? Or is that the same as our nursery/playgroup/pre school? (Ages 2-4?)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Kindergarten is the first year of grade school in Canada at around 4-5. Day care is what happens before that.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:54 pm
Kindergarten is the first year of grade school in Canada at around 4-5. Day care is what happens before that.
So that’s our reception equivalent then! Grade school being primary school? What age do they go to secondary in Canada?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:51 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
So that’s our reception equivalent then! Grade school being primary school? What age do they go to secondary in Canada?
It depends on the Province. In Quebec, primary school is grades K - 6, High School is grades 7-11, CEGEP (college) is two years and University 3 years (4 in the case of some programs like Engineering). Vocational programs (non-university streams) at CEGEP are usually three years.

In other provinces there is sometimes "middle school" between primary school and high school (grades 7 and 8)

Some provinces have no pre-University college progams so high school goes to grade 12 and university is a four-year program.

As you can tell education is a provincial jurisdiction. Canadian history, therefore, is quite different depending on where you learn it. The same is true for many humanities. Science subjects are pretty standard.

We use the terms primary school, grade school and elementary school pretty much interchangeably, although each province has a favourite.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:28 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
It depends on the Province. In Quebec, primary school is grades K - 6, High School is grades 7-11, CEGEP (college) is two years and University 3 years (4 in the case of some programs like Engineering). Vocational programs (non-university streams) at CEGEP are usually three years.

In other provinces there is sometimes "middle school" between primary school and high school (grades 7 and 8)

Some provinces have no pre-University college progams so high school goes to grade 12 and university is a four-year program.

As you can tell education is a provincial jurisdiction. Canadian history, therefore, is quite different depending on where you learn it. The same is true for many humanities. Science subjects are pretty standard.

We use the terms primary school, grade school and elementary school pretty much interchangeably, although each province has a favourite.
So if they start kindergarten at 4, go to secondary (high) at 11 and college at 16 the year groups are pretty much identical age to ours as year 6 is last year of primary and year 11 last year of secondary here. Thanks Monty, as a teacher it’s always interesting to see how schooling works in other countries!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:28 am
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

So if they start kindergarten at 4, go to secondary (high) at 11 and college at 16 the year groups are pretty much identical age to ours as year 6 is last year of primary and year 11 last year of secondary here. Thanks Monty, as a teacher it’s always interesting to see how schooling works in other countries!
Kids are assigned to their first grade somewhat arbitrarily depending on whether their birth day falls before or after a certain date. I think it is September 1, but could be January 1. So there is a large age range in each grade and you could be in higher or lower grade because of one day. This makes it difficult if you are competing against classmates 364 days older. Of course one can skip or drop a grade.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:28 am
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Kids are assigned to their first grade somewhat arbitrarily depending on whether their birth day falls before or after a certain date. I think it is September 1, but could be January 1. So there is a large age range in each grade and you could be in higher or lower grade because of one day. This makes it difficult if you are competing against classmates 364 days older. Of course one can skip or drop a grade.
Same as England where cut off is 1st September. Not at all easy to skip or drop years here though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:30 pm

I'll let you into a secret: I'm happy about my quiet half hour. A daily time to go somewhere peaceful on you own and just close you eyes, deep breathe, think, meditate and reflect on your life. Make time and it will soon become a habit. It really helps. It may even be before you go to sleep at night, but you'll find you may see a lot of things differently when just you and your inner self are involved. Thoughtlessness and lack of honesty are some of our biggest faults, but we can't fool God or ourselves.

Give it a go.I seem to remember thebish advocating self meditation some years ago. Credit to him if so. Peace be with you and yours,
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Mrs G and I have just finished a 3 hour walk over the moors with the pooch. Lunch from the chippy on the way home, 2 slices of bread, mug of tea. Dog had sardines. All 3 of us stuffed and knackered now
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Today is my first full day off since mid-March. I'm not entirely sure what to do with myself it's been that long :?