Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by jaffka » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:23 pm

As for this homeless stuff, I have found this:

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So genuine homeless then?

As for the chap whose wife turfed him out, there's two sides to every story...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Forest Flame time in the front garden.. They go whiter and paler later, but right now they're beautiful.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am

jaffka wrote:As for this homeless stuff, I have found this:

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes. genuine homeless.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:34 pm

jaffka wrote: As for the chap whose wife turfed him out, there's two sides to every story...
Nowhere have I contested that.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:37 pm

thebish wrote:

yes. genuine homeless.
For how long?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jaffka wrote: As for the chap whose wife turfed him out, there's two sides to every story...
Do you know the other sides story?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:03 pm

jaffka wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
No, of course not. I said I bought the bloke a meal, not that I'm his fecking social worker.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jaffka wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
No, of course not. I said I bought the bloke a meal, not that I'm his fecking social worker.
So what did he tell you?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:23 pm

jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:

yes. genuine homeless.
For how long?
different lengths of time for different people in different circumstances dealt with by different local councils and local voluntary services (strangely enough...)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:22 pm

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:

yes. genuine homeless.
For how long?
different lengths of time for different people in different circumstances dealt with by different local councils and local voluntary services (strangely enough...)
no, how long genuinely homeless?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:32 pm

see above.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:10 pm

So you don't know

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 pm

jaffka wrote:So you don't know
as I believe I have already said...

I know that people are genuinely homeless for different lengths of time being as they are different people in different circumstances and are dealt with by different local councils and different combinations of local voluntary services (strangely enough...)

asking how long people are genuinely homeless (as a generality) is a utterly DAFT a question as to ask "how long are people in hospital, generally?" - and then act all surprised when someone answers that different people are in hospital for different periods of time depending on their many and variously different circumstances..

it really isn't all THAT hard...

Bruce gave a meal to a homeless guy - I say, well done Bruce - that's a nice thing to do.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 pm

thebish wrote:

I know that people are genuinely homeless for different lengths of time being as they are different people in different circumstances and are dealt with by different local councils and different combinations of local voluntary services (strangely enough...)

asking how long people are genuinely homeless (as a generality) is a utterly DAFT a question as to ask "how long are people in hospital, generally?" - and then act all surprised when someone answers that different people are in hospital for different periods of time depending on their many and variously different circumstances..

Bruce gave a meal to a homeless guy - I say, well done Bruce - that's a nice thing to do.
How would you know if a person was genuinely homeless?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 pm

jaffka wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
jaffka wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
So what did he tell you?
What business is it of yours?

Actually, from what he did tell me I very much doubt that his wife's version of events would have differed much, if at all.

However, the guy was out on his ear. I wasn't there to sit in judgement, I've hardly been an angel through the years myself. I bought him fish and chips - he was hungry (clearly very hungry) and I could afford to help him with that.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: Actually, from what he did tell me I very much doubt that his wife's version of events would have differed much, if at all.
It's on an open forum :conf: I didn't realise it was a private conversation.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:38 pm

jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:

well - for one thing - I used to work with the street-homeless, and have recently been working with a guy named Bill who was genuinely homeless in and around newton abbot for over 20yrs... mental illness was the cause... the council knew all about him - they knew his name - they occasionally housed him temporarily in the deepest of winter nights when the temperature dropped below -5... but then they ignored him. not until he had a couple of vociferous advocates to speak for him and argue with the housing dept. and follow up their promises and pester them into further action did any offer of housing ever emerge. (he is now in a B&B just around the corner from me) your tedious linking to sites that speak of the "statutary duties" of local councils towards people who are homeless simply reveal a startling, perhaps touching naivety in the matter of local councils and the way they often act.

The ones who slip throught the net - there are lots of them - usually (but not always) mental illness - those who don't have anyone to argue for them can be street-homeless for months and years...

and that's quite a narrow definition of "homeless" - the most extreme one

so - just guessing here - and feel free to put me right - but I reckon I'm probably in a better position direct-experience-of-working-with-homeless-people to assess "genuine" (your word) homelessness than you are...

I'm defining "genuine homeless" as someone who literally has nowhere to go and nobody (not even your precious council!) taking the blindest bit of notice. There are lots fo them - and they are homeless for wildly varying lengths of time..

and I still say - well done Bruce!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:43 pm

jaffka wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: Actually, from what he did tell me I very much doubt that his wife's version of events would have differed much, if at all.
It's on an open forum :conf: I didn't realise it was a private conversation.
The conversation between me and the guy in question was indeed a private conversation. This is an open forum. Glad we cleared that up.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:49 pm

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:

well - for one thing - I used to work with the street-homeless, and have recently been working with a guy named Bill who was genuinely homeless in and around newton abbot for over 20yrs... mental illness was the cause... the council knew all about him - they knew his name - they occasionally housed him temporarily in the deepest of winter nights when the temperature dropped below -5... but then they ignored him. not until he had a couple of vociferous advocates to speak for him and argue with the housing dept. and follow up their promises and pester them into further action did any offer of housing ever emerge. (he is now in a B&B just around the corner from me) your tedious linking to sites that speak of the "statutary duties" of local councils towards people who are homeless simply reveal a startling, perhaps touching naivety in the matter of local councils and the way they often act.

The ones who slip throught the net - there are lots of them - usually (but not always) mental illness - those who don't have anyone to argue for them can be street-homeless for months and years...

and that's quite a narrow definition of "homeless" - the most extreme one

so - just guessing here - and feel free to put me right - but I reckon I'm probably in a better position direct-experience-of-working-with-homeless-people to assess "genuine" (your word) homelessness than you are...

I'm defining "genuine homeless" as someone who literally has nowhere to go and nobody (not even your precious council!) taking the blindest bit of notice. There are lots fo them - and they are homeless for wildly varying lengths of time..

and I still say - well done Bruce!
How do you know about councils ignoring people?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:52 pm

I generally talk about stuff I know summat about - I usually ignore stuff I don't know much about.

I can see you don't share this restraint.

also - well done Bruce! :-)