Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 pm
^^
Ha, at the end of the day we're all nobody Spots. The secret is not to worry about it. All you really need in life is a sense of humour and a vivid imagination. This is especially true of Bolton Wanderers supporters.... :lol:
True, very true... :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

I have had for a number of years now a strange condition of the brain (I know, probably more than one :P ) whereby I have a fundamental difficulty of putting names to faces and faces to names to the point where in some circumstances it makes life difficult, but in the majority of situations it barely affects my life, but nevertheless I have been seeing a neurotherapist to try and overcome the basic problem through different strategies.
Today I've had a massive breakthrough. For many months the best (in fact, only) approach that worked at a greater hit rate than just random guesswork was a mind game copied from professional magicians, memory men and cardsharps whereby tags are applied to each card in a deck and then a story created using the tags to memorize the sequence.
Anyway, I have certain faces memorised (each representing a different era) to which I've successfully attached mental tags which allow me 'fish' the name out, and the process is reversible with the name giving me the tag to hook the face. [Yeh, I know, why like most people the names themselves don't do that is the mystery]. For the 60s the face is Barbara Castle, and the tag is arrows.
Today a new face came up and I asked the usual first question as to what era, and when she said 60s, I tried attaching a tag and "arrows" gave me what I already knew - Barbara Castle. But the face was new but I still felt it was on the tip of my tongue. And then just like that I knew it was Barbara Windsor.
We discussed it for a while and were about to conclude that the connection was just Barbara that triggered a recovered memory. But on the drive home I realised it was more than that: arrows now triggers Windsor Castle, which can give me both Barbara Castle and Barbara Windsor - the first time one tag gives two names!

This gives me an entirely new hope that this trick can be expanded. Ha. 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:47 pm

^
Yesssss. Been trying all afternoon and hit a second one... Abraham Lincoln and Jeremy Corbyn, linked by tag "Crow". Jim Crow, Jesus Christ, and Jason and the Argonauts all welded in there somewhere. The mind is a weird place.

(and just to anticipate certain 'questions', there are faces I can put names to which are only partially name/face interfaces (I love the irony of that word).
Mona Lisa
St. George with a dragon.
My dog.

And, yes there are a couple in particular which cause, on occasion, exceptional confusion in the audience.
Me.
My wife )

(and for the really curious out there, the condition was probably physically caused by a cyst above my upper palate beneath my brain that grew from the size of a walnut when first detected (aged 20ish) to the size of a clementine by the time I had the courage to have it surgically removed, compressing my brain).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Becoming a great grandfather to a little girl (Ada, she's the fourth) at Bolton Hospital today. :D We have to win tonight now. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:27 pm
Becoming a great grandfather to a little girl (Ada, she's the fourth) at Bolton Hospital today. :D We have to win tonight now. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Congratulations Tango. You're old!! :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:16 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:27 pm
Congratulations Tango. You're old!! :D
Ha, I wish I could deny it Harry..... :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:59 pm

Finally got a hernia op at Bolton Royal today after 2 cancelations. There at 7.15 am, home tonight at 8' long day but at least I wasn't in overnight. Staff as ever top class and can't praise their help and patience enough. Sore throat, headache and some bruised and oddly coloured areas in tender places, but it's done and dusted...hopefully.

Whilst I was in dock, a young friend of mine saw the wife out walking the dog (wife's on a walking stick waiting hip surgery) and sent her home whilst she walked the dog in her place. She also insisted she will come round tomorrow and do it again after work. Our next door neighbour is a porter at the hospital and met my taxi tonight, carried my bag and helped us up to our front door. Add several offers of help with lifts and shopping if needed and it just shows there are some really nice folk about. Very grateful to all.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 am

Great story, TANGO, you have lifted my spirits a bit this morning. Good luck with your recovery and a hearty wish for an early hip-op for your wife.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:12 pm

^ agreed, and a good reminder that the overwhelming majority of people are kind, good hearted folk looking out for each other. We have the added burden of trying to be like that whilst following the Wanderers :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:12 pm
^ agreed, and a good reminder that the overwhelming majority of people are kind, good hearted folk looking out for each other. We have the added burden of trying to be like that whilst following the Wanderers :D
Touche...Cheers Harry.. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Dujon wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 am
Great story, TANGO, you have lifted my spirits a bit this morning. Good luck with your recovery and a hearty wish for an early hip-op for your wife.
Thanks mate. :wink:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
the overwhelming majority of people are kind, good hearted folk looking out for each other.
It's innate, Harry. We are all tribal by nature but one to one we are pretty much all nice folk.

Milk it for all it's worth, Tango; can be a right bugger them hernia repairs. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:20 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
the overwhelming majority of people are kind, good hearted folk looking out for each other.
It's innate, Harry. We are all tribal by nature but one to one we are pretty much all nice folk.

Milk it for all it's worth, Tango; can be a right bugger them hernia repairs. :wink:
So I'm finding already Enoch. Thought I could stand up to get dressed and come home yesterday but the numbness was still there, leg collapsed and only two nurses saved me from ending up on the deck. Feeling the pain now and it all looks a right mess, but I'll live. Obeying wife's orders for a bit and "milking it".. :lol:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Good man.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:47 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47250424

Some things just warm the spirits. Good to see the younger generation taking action. Good to see politicians responding positively as well. Now time for serious action from them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Some things just warm the spirits. Good to see the younger generation taking action. Good to see politicians responding positively as well. Now time for serious action from them.
My spirits, I'm afraid, aren't warmed. Global warming being "discovered" by a scholgirl up in the outer Hebrides or somewhere and it's national news? A government of fifteen year olds the answer perhaps? Or maybe a bunch of attention seeking kids with any excuse to avoid what they're suppopsed to be doing, learning that is... playing follow my leader? If our politicians need schoolkids to show the way we really are in a mess. What exactly are they being paid for? Bollocks doesn't describe it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:47 pm

My spirits, I'm afraid, aren't warmed. Global warming being "discovered" by a scholgirl up in the outer Hebrides or somewhere and it's national news? A government of fifteen year olds the answer perhaps? Or maybe a bunch of attention seeking kids with any excuse to avoid what they're suppopsed to be doing, learning that is... playing follow my leader? If our politicians need schoolkids to show the way we really are in a mess. What exactly are they being paid for? Bollocks doesn't describe it.
I'm sure they'll be grateful for your thanks in their endeavors....

What a horribly spiteful and unnecessary response. You aren't a very pleasant human being. That much is clear.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm sure they'll be grateful for your thanks in their endeavors....What a horribly spiteful and unnecessary response. You aren't a very pleasant human being. That much is clear.
What endeavours, missing school to protest about "their" planet? Oh, climb down from the pulpit will you Mr Superior. Unpleasant and spiteful I'm not ; realistic I am.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm sure they'll be grateful for your thanks in their endeavors....What a horribly spiteful and unnecessary response. You aren't a very pleasant human being. That much is clear.
What endeavours, missing school to protest about "their" planet? Oh, climb down from the pulpit will you Mr Superior. Unpleasant and spiteful I'm not ; realistic I am.
They're trying to do something to effect change. Instead of being told by people like you that its "pointless".

They've had the gumption to organise en masse and do something that raises attention. I suspect they've done that in a face of a lot of...."in my day we were realistic" *YAWN*.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

They're trying to do something to effect change. Instead of being told by people like you that its "pointless".

They've had the gumption to organise en masse and do something that raises attention. I suspect they've done that in a face of a lot of...."in my day we were realistic" *YAWN*.
So they're "striking". And they're putting the head teachers in an invidious situation where they have to fine the parents for non attendance. Can the head teachers suck carbon out of the air?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください