Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm really happy about......

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I've just gazumped you.

Can you go back to being a miserable bugger now? I can't cope with this happy stuff.

Oh and for bish, I think you'll find it's a hereditament.
Just got to decide which Sky TV package I want to go for now.

Can get broadband, a landline and Sky+ for £20 per month, or the same in HD with sports/films for £40 :shock:

Oh, and I'm renting ;)
Bloody hell I'm paying double that for sports and films HD, broadband and landline.

How are you getting them deals?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:31 am

http://www.sky.com/shop/bundles-offers/broadband/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:43 am

Ok did the quote thing based on what I've got...

Unlimited broadband
Line Rental
Sports Package
Movies Package
HD

£76 a month.

So not sure where the £40 a month comes in unless I'm missing sommat?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 am

Well that's going to be based upon the HD thing without the movies and sports (for me, anyway).

No point paying for it when I've got the in-laws round the corner for both.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:56 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Well that's going to be based upon the HD thing without the movies and sports (for me, anyway).

No point paying for it when I've got the in-laws round the corner for both.
Personallly don't see the point of getting HD really unless you want sports or movies or both!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Unlimited broadband
Line Rental
Sports Package
Movies Package
HD

£76 a month.

That's what we're on.. Except up until last week, we were paying alomost £90 per month, until we knocked 'em down!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:39 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Unlimited broadband
Line Rental
Sports Package
Movies Package
HD

£76 a month.

That's what we're on.. Except up until last week, we were paying alomost £90 per month, until we knocked 'em down!
We're paying £81 a month I think.

Its enough. We use it plenty though. We're not in a Virgin area so its hard to knock the price down!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

£81 per month?? bloody norah! reminds me why I don't have sky....

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:54 am

Strewth! I thought £20 was quite reasonable! Gives us the basic channels plus the Sky+ capability.

Never used Sky broadband before so not sure how they measure up but they can't be any worse than fecking Tiscali

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 am

so - what do you get on the basic sky channels package (that you don't get on Freeview) that is worth having?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:00 am

Sky + recording capability, plus something called a 'Variety Pack'. More interested in the sky+ personally.

Plus that offer is cheaper than separate phone and internet charges too

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:32 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Strewth! I thought £20 was quite reasonable! Gives us the basic channels plus the Sky+ capability.

Never used Sky broadband before so not sure how they measure up but they can't be any worse than fecking Tiscali
It gets a bad rap but so far I'm pretty impressed with Sky Broadband.

You need to make sure they have llu where you are because you don't want to touch Sky Connect! Usually they check your address when quoting but I've heard some horror stories where they've decided half way through that they have no llu left.

Also when you first get it they do something called DLM (direct line management I think!) where they test the reliability of your line and "fix" your max speed. Don't reset your router (unless you absolutely must) or switch it on or off till this is complete. Otherwise they start seeing it as a crash and start lowering your speed. DLM is not popular by the way, but it worked out ok for me and we got the speed they suggested/estimated we would.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Sky + recording capability, plus something called a 'Variety Pack'. More interested in the sky+ personally.

the sky+ facility is replicated in my freeview box - it can record 2 progs whilst watching a third - record series - pause live tv etc...

the combined offer - I get that (tho - most of my phone is work-related and so not paid by me - and better off seperate - so is no use to me)

what is "variety pack"?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:43 am

That's clever. My TV has in-built freeview but no recording - I have a separate box for that but it's old and unreliable so I won't be taking that when I move in.

I think the variety pack is entertainment channels such as Sky One and whathaveyou.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 am

thebish wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:Sky + recording capability, plus something called a 'Variety Pack'. More interested in the sky+ personally.

the sky+ facility is replicated in my freeview box - it can record 2 progs whilst watching a third - record series - pause live tv etc...

the combined offer - I get that (tho - most of my phone is work-related and so not paid by me - and better off seperate - so is no use to me)

what is "variety pack"?
Its just extra channels bish. To be honest there are quite a few things on Sky1 for example or the new Sky Atlantic that are worth a watch.

There are other features with sky you don't get with freeview (but get similar or better with Virgin but again cost ££) like anytime + where programs are stored in a bank and can be downloaded at anytime. So say you want to watch the whole series of the pacific you can just go and download them. Or you want to watch a film, there is a chance it will be there to download.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
There are other features with sky you don't get with freeview (but get similar or better with Virgin but again cost ££) like anytime + where programs are stored in a bank and can be downloaded at anytime. So say you want to watch the whole series of the pacific you can just go and download them. Or you want to watch a film, there is a chance it will be there to download.
ahh - i don't have that on freeview - but it does appear at isohunt.com :wink:

or - more legally at lovefilm - which doesn't cost £81-a-month - but, I guess, isn't as instant in that you have tio wait for the DVD to arrive...

my problem is (apart from being a scrooge) - there is already too much stuff to watch on Freeview without adding Sky! - if I added more, I'd never go out...

skysports would be nice - BUT - i don't watch much football other than Bolton - and the only other sports I'd watch live are cricket and rugby... I do miss live cricket (but then - I get my entire day back!) - and the 6 nations is still mostly on terrestrial...

the odd live Bolton game on SKY and non-terrestrial england rugby games - the pub...
Last edited by thebish on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 am

I've got Lovefilm already at £12 per month for DVDs and games, but will be cancelling that and putting my £12 per month towards my share of the Sky package. Happy days gays

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Strewth! I thought £20 was quite reasonable! Gives us the basic channels plus the Sky+ capability.

they make you use their own locked down modem , you needs to go to some website to extract the username and password if you need to use another (say if the wifi's crap , troubleshooting etc)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Clattenburg! :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Clattenburg! :evil:

today you are happy about clattenberg????