Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:39 pm

Today I’m happy about East 17 (essential listening for every 90’s teenage girl, no shame here 8) ). Enjoying a bit of reminiscing (and singing along :oops: ) this morning. I love how music can bring back memories and that you can still remember lyrics of songs you haven’t heard in decades. :D

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 pm

I love East 17. Because whenever I think of them it brings back memories of when Brian Harvey drove over himself in his own car. The prick.
Businesswoman of the year.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 pm

Because he ODed on jacket potatoes I think he went with.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:02 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 pm
I love East 17. Because whenever I think of them it brings back memories of when Brian Harvey drove over himself in his own car. The prick.

Over his own head wasn’t it? 😂

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:25 pm

This. If you’re good enough it shouldn’t matter if you’re male/female, black/white etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56 ... md3JdAaFUA

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:27 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:25 pm
This. If you’re good enough it shouldn’t matter if you’re male/female, black/white etc.

I'm surprised it's taken this long. Was it Sian Massey who was the first female assistant referee? That seems like years ago when she started.

I remember Joe Royle moaning about it at the time and making himself sound rather silly.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:56 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:27 am
Gooner Girl wrote:

I'm surprised it's taken this long. Was it Sian Massey who was the first female assistant referee? That seems like years ago when she started.

I remember Joe Royle moaning about it at the time and making himself sound rather silly.

Bit like those who moan that SSN has been pushing women’s football lots too?! :wink:

Yes, Sian Massey has been around ages and generally seems to do a good job. Be nice if this sort of stuff wasn’t newsworthy tbh but it still is for now which shows there’s still a way to go.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 am

I don't mind SSN or BBC advertising other sporting events be it womens football or mens tiddlywinks. Nor do I care who referee's as long as they're capable. I do object to any and all of them clickbaiting people. Which is what they're doing, and not giving options that enable people to filter things out that they have little interest in.

On the happy note, went to a nearby last night with other people. Grand.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 am
I don't mind SSN or BBC advertising other sporting events be it womens football or mens tiddlywinks. Nor do I care who referee's as long as they're capable. I do object to any and all of them clickbaiting people. Which is what they're doing, and not giving options that enable people to filter things out that they have little interest in.

Pretty sure we have had that conversation before!! :D

Went to a nearby what?! ? Seeing other people is great though isn’t it? Real life conversations that aren’t with people you live with!! Got to go round to my mums garden for her birthday yesterday and seeing family Easter Sunday too. Easter Saturday I’m off to Essex for a chicken rescue. The BHWT have 8000 birds coming out to new homes around the country in total this weekend!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:37 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:56 am

Bit like those who moan that SSN has been pushing women’s football lots too?! :wink:
No. Not like that at all. I refer the right honourable lady to the BBC results service last night. A list of the nights football scores. A crunch league 1 game appears below some womens fixtures asif it's of lesser importance.

Womens results should be on a womens football page. If they have to be included on the same page they should be given the billing equivalent to the general interest. Near the bottom. I get that the Beeb are trying to promote womens football but as I've said before, it shouldnt be at the expense of the lower sections of the mens professional game.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:37 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:56 am

No. Not like that at all. I refer the right honourable lady to the BBC results service last night. A list of the nights football scores. A crunch league 1 game appears below some womens fixtures asif it's of lesser importance.

Womens results should be on a womens football page. If they have to be included on the same page they should be given the billing equivalent to the general interest. Near the bottom. I get that the Beeb are trying to promote womens football but as I've said before, it shouldnt be at the expense of the lower sections of the mens professional game.
A women’s champions league quarter final you mean? Did you have to scroll down for half a second longer to find the men’s league 1 score? You poor love. :wink:

Why should women’s football results be on a womens football page? Would you say the same for athletics for instance? Did it ever occur to you that just because you’re interested in the league 1 scores that there might be people that are not, but are interested in women’s champions league?! I don’t think the bbc are promoting women’s football at the expense of men’s lower league but we obviously feel differently on this. :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:09 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

The majority of refs in the lower leagues are diabolical, so any improvement on them is welcome, regardless of gender etc.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am

Why should women’s football results be on a womens football page? Would you say the same for athletics for instance? Did it ever occur to you that just because you’re interested in the league 1 scores that there might be people that are not, but are interested in women’s champions league?! I don’t think the bbc are promoting women’s football at the expense of men’s lower league but we obviously feel differently on this. :D
Which athletics events mix the results up by gender? You're not reading the mens long jump results when they chuck a few womens distances in are you?

Football scores start with the top division and work downwards. Chucking a random womens result in, ahead of a professional mens team, is inferring it's more important.

As regards interest, I'd estimate the crowd at Gillingham last night would have been around 8000. Chelsea ladies champions league would have attracted what? 750? 1000? Not including comps, freebies, other usual promotions etc

I've no issue with womens footy any more than I have with any other sport. I do take issue at the dumbing down or lessening of the lower reaches of the mens game in order to promote it.

Since this is the happy thread. Im happy that you agree with me on this point :D

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Agreed re the ‘click baity’ nature of headlines on the BBC sport website. I’ve often been caught out by headlines along the lines of ‘Chelsea sign Sanchez’ or ‘City ease to win against Spurs’ and I have a look only to find out something I’m not interested in. I’m sure many people regularly do the same. I also understand the need to try and give equality and having to add the prefix ‘women’s’ before any mention of the sport will keep current barriers in place.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

Which athletics events mix the results up by gender? You're not reading the mens long jump results when they chuck a few womens distances in are you?

Football scores start with the top division and work downwards. Chucking a random womens result in, ahead of a professional mens team, is inferring it's more important.

As regards interest, I'd estimate the crowd at Gillingham last night would have been around 8000. Chelsea ladies champions league would have attracted what? 750? 1000? Not including comps, freebies, other usual promotions etc

I've no issue with womens footy any more than I have with any other sport. I do take issue at the dumbing down or lessening of the lower reaches of the mens game in order to promote it.

Since this is the happy thread. Im happy that you agree with me on this point :D
Absolutely everything which Harry said there, although he somehow omitted that women goalies are a right hoot :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:50 pm

Football used to be a game for the public school boys. Then northern towns got into the mix. I'm sure there were people who complained then about workers playing football and their results being reported and newspapers 'pushing an agenda'....

I don't get being insecure about the order football or sporting results are presented in.

Also importance is rather relative. You may have a smaller crowd but I'm guessing if you polled the country more would have interest in Arsenal women vs Chelsea women or whatever than Bolton vs Colchester. Its just the way it is.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

Men’s and women’s athletics is generally covered in the same news articles and on the same tv programme. You don’t have a problem with that?

And why is women’s top class football less important then men’s lower league? You clearly didn’t pick your team because they were the best, but they are important to you?

Perhaps I should take this out the happy thread and put it in the angry one! :evil: :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:50 pm
Football used to be a game for the public school boys. Then northern towns got into the mix. I'm sure there were people who complained then about workers playing football and their results being reported and newspapers 'pushing an agenda'....

I don't get being insecure about the order football or sporting results are presented in.

Also importance is rather relative. You may have a smaller crowd but I'm guessing if you polled the country more would have interest in Arsenal women vs Chelsea women or whatever than Bolton vs Colchester. Its just the way it is.
Quite bwfci. (On a side note I really recommend ‘the English game’ on Netflix as a really interesting football drama). I just don’t get why it riles people so much, you can push the women’s game without it having a detrimental effect on the men’s game. I can’t see how it has tbh. I think some northern middle aged men just feel threatened by the fact there’s plenty of women out there who could run rings round them on a football pitch. 🤔

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:31 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:24 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 am

Pretty sure we have had that conversation before!! :D

Went to a nearby what?! ? Seeing other people is great though isn’t it? Real life conversations that aren’t with people you live with!! Got to go round to my mums garden for her birthday yesterday and seeing family Easter Sunday too. Easter Saturday I’m off to Essex for a chicken rescue. The BHWT have 8000 birds coming out to new homes around the country in total this weekend!
Oh if course, a barbie!

Enjoy your weekend out. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:50 pm

It's bugger all to do with insecure. Maybe that's why you don't get it :-)

I would like to be able to customize my user experience to be able to get straight to the bits I want to see. It's 2021 FFS. :-) I want to filter darts out of my headlines and horse racing too coz I'm not fussed about them.