Avoiding the Royal Wedding

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Avoiding the Royal Wedding

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Some, I suppose, may be riveted to their TVs. Some may even be getting to London to wave garish flags. Some may be organising - or attending - celebratory street parties for the 'royal' slime and his squeeze.

But, for those of us wishing to avoid the happy occasion on which the entire nation comes together in an irresistible wave of love for the royal highnesses, what are the plans?

Today I booked eight days in Spain - R & R in Nerja for five nights. Three nights in Cordoba for the magnificent Festival of the Patios, which I've wanted to visit for decades and this year have the chance (because Easter is so late)...

The festival... http://www.andalucia.com/cities/cordoba/patios.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some fish, some sun, some wine, some reading, some rest, some glorious aesthetic overload... And no Brit royals/newspapers/TV to make me feel slightly sick and totally despairing...

I'm smiling now, though... :D
Last edited by William the White on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Avoiding the Royal Wedding

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm off to Denmark for a few days with the missus.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:37 pm

When is it?

I have so far successfully turned over every radio or TV mention of it within 3 seconds. I haven't read the body of William's text (sorry William) because it will make my eyes bleed. Safe to say, its fairly easy in my job to hide away from the outside world when needed.

So just a date and time will do.

And I've still never heard past the first line of "Englands Rose".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Your fortune cookie tells you to avoid TV on the 28th April.

I have no notion at what time it might be - to be safe I'd avoid it for about a week before and a week after.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:When is it?

I have so far successfully turned over every radio or TV mention of it within 3 seconds. I haven't read the body of William's text (sorry William) because it will make my eyes bleed. Safe to say, its fairly easy in my job to hide away from the outside world when needed.

So just a date and time will do.

And I've still never heard past the first line of "Englands Rose".
It is Friday April 29, and that has been declared a national holiday, so that the entire nation can rejoice. No idea what time.

Anyone got a puke emoticon?

I shall be in Spain, debating between swordfish, golden bream and hake... A chilled white from Valdepenas... :D

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:59 pm

luckily I have my stag do booked that weekend, fly out that morning to berlin...very well planned

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 pm

You might consider a trip to Montreal and be an activist. Today's headlines state
Sovereignty group denounces royal visit

A sovereignist group is promising to do everything in its power to make this summer's visit by Prince William and his new bride Kate as disagreeable as possible. On its website, the Reseau de Resistance du Quebecois says the couple will get the royal treatment they deserve.

In 2009, the same group protested a visit to Quebec by Prince Charles.
Full text on their website is:
C'est maintenant officiel, le prince William d'Angleterre sera au Québec, l'été prochain, pour effectuer une "tournée royale". Comme les militants indépendantistes du Réseau de Résistance se sont opposés avec fermeté et courage à la visite du prince Charles en 2009, ils se mobiliseront à nouveau pour réserver au prince William le traitement royal qu'il mérite. Soyez assurés que nous ferons tout en notre pouvoir pour rendre son séjour chez nous le plus désagréable possible.

En 2009, le service des communications du Réseau de Résistance du Québécois a bien expliqué que jamais nos militants ne laisseraient les têtes couronnées d'Angleterre fouler le sol du Québec en toute impunité. Elles n'étaient pas les bienvenues chez nous, hier, et elles ne le sont toujours pas aujourd'hui. Pour le Réseau de Résistance et les indépendantistes en général, la couronne d'Angleterre rappelle de bien tristes événements. C'est au nom de cette couronne que le Québec a été conquis et soumis par la force des armes en 1759. C'est au nom de cette même couronne que les Patriotes de 1837-1838 ont été emprisonnés, déportés et pendus. Et c'est toujours cette couronne qui est l'autorité suprême aujourd’hui au Canada, donc au Québec, ces dispositions étant couchées dans une constitution que le Québec s'est fait imposer arbitrairement en 1982, constitution que nos représentants n'ont jamais signée. Sans compter que c’est cette même couronne qui a assujetti et exploité tant de peuples sur la planète, de l’Afrique à l’Asie en passant par l’Irlande, alors que l’île d’Eire n’est d’ailleurs toujours pas réunifiée et que les six comtés du Nord sont toujours sous la botte de l’Angleterre en 2011.

Par conséquent, nous tenons à annoncer que notre organisation se prépare sérieusement. Nous mobilisons dès maintenant nos militants, et nous commençons dès aujourd'hui à préparer le comité d'accueil que nous réserverons au prince William. Son père s'est rendu compte en 2009 que les représentants de la couronne d'Angleterre n'étaient pas les bienvenus au Québec; le prince Charles a même dû fuir nos militants en pénétrant par la porte arrière d'une caserne de l'armée canadienne. Que le prince William s'attende à vivre un scénario similaire. Ce ne sont ni la calomnie dirigée contre nous dans la presse complice, ni la veulerie de certaines autorités souverainistes, ni les coups de matraque qui nous arrêteront. Nous sommes sur un pied de guerre et nous comptons bien vaincre, encore une fois.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:You might consider a trip to Montreal and be an activist. Today's headlines state
Sovereignty group denounces royal visit

A sovereignist group is promising to do everything in its power to make this summer's visit by Prince William and his new bride Kate as disagreeable as possible. On its website, the Reseau de Resistance du Quebecois says the couple will get the royal treatment they deserve.

In 2009, the same group protested a visit to Quebec by Prince Charles.
Full text on their website is:
C'est maintenant officiel, le prince William d'Angleterre sera au Québec, l'été prochain, pour effectuer une "tournée royale". Comme les militants indépendantistes du Réseau de Résistance se sont opposés avec fermeté et courage à la visite du prince Charles en 2009, ils se mobiliseront à nouveau pour réserver au prince William le traitement royal qu'il mérite. Soyez assurés que nous ferons tout en notre pouvoir pour rendre son séjour chez nous le plus désagréable possible.

En 2009, le service des communications du Réseau de Résistance du Québécois a bien expliqué que jamais nos militants ne laisseraient les têtes couronnées d'Angleterre fouler le sol du Québec en toute impunité. Elles n'étaient pas les bienvenues chez nous, hier, et elles ne le sont toujours pas aujourd'hui. Pour le Réseau de Résistance et les indépendantistes en général, la couronne d'Angleterre rappelle de bien tristes événements. C'est au nom de cette couronne que le Québec a été conquis et soumis par la force des armes en 1759. C'est au nom de cette même couronne que les Patriotes de 1837-1838 ont été emprisonnés, déportés et pendus. Et c'est toujours cette couronne qui est l'autorité suprême aujourd’hui au Canada, donc au Québec, ces dispositions étant couchées dans une constitution que le Québec s'est fait imposer arbitrairement en 1982, constitution que nos représentants n'ont jamais signée. Sans compter que c’est cette même couronne qui a assujetti et exploité tant de peuples sur la planète, de l’Afrique à l’Asie en passant par l’Irlande, alors que l’île d’Eire n’est d’ailleurs toujours pas réunifiée et que les six comtés du Nord sont toujours sous la botte de l’Angleterre en 2011.

Par conséquent, nous tenons à annoncer que notre organisation se prépare sérieusement. Nous mobilisons dès maintenant nos militants, et nous commençons dès aujourd'hui à préparer le comité d'accueil que nous réserverons au prince William. Son père s'est rendu compte en 2009 que les représentants de la couronne d'Angleterre n'étaient pas les bienvenus au Québec; le prince Charles a même dû fuir nos militants en pénétrant par la porte arrière d'une caserne de l'armée canadienne. Que le prince William s'attende à vivre un scénario similaire. Ce ne sont ni la calomnie dirigée contre nous dans la presse complice, ni la veulerie de certaines autorités souverainistes, ni les coups de matraque qui nous arrêteront. Nous sommes sur un pied de guerre et nous comptons bien vaincre, encore une fois.
Disappointed.

No mention of a guillotine. :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Methinks thou doth protest too much WTW. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Methinks thou doth protest too much WTW. :wink:
Methinks you're just jealous you won't be in Nerja. :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm

William the White wrote:
Methinks that anyone with such high principles against the monarchy should refuse to accept the holiday given. I mean how could anyone on such a principle accept it. :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Well, William, all they can do as they suggest is try to make the visit as unpleasant as possible. For the last forty some odd years they have been trying to make my life as unpleasant as possible so I guess it is someone else's turn. Unfortunately (from your perspective) they are generally quite incompetent with a genius for alienating those who might have sympathy for the 'cause'. Droning on about 1759 does not resonate with most Quebeckers, English, french or Allophone. They are a bit more worried about this year. So I don't imagine they will be paid much attention - nor for that matter will William and Kate be noticed that much.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:31 pm

William the White wrote:
Well, that might just creep into things tiny touch... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:41 pm

I can't speak for Canada, Monty, but I'll guarantee that the media here will be absolutely full of the event. I have absolutely nothing against English royalty but this sort of blanket coverage pisses me off. It's not the event itself - although that's bad enough - it's all the lead-up gumpf. Yes, QEII is the titular head of this country but, really! Unfortunately my wife is not of the same point of view. And she's Australian for crying out loud, whilst I'm English. There's summat wrong in my family and, quite frustratingly, I can't explain it. Don't feel sorry for me as I'm used to it by now. To my shame I even bought her a book (it was a run-out special) containing nothing but the late Princess "Di"; lots and lots of photographs and not much else.

Now, I don't want to get off-side the ladies who make up part of our membership of this esteemed forum, but is this fascination with royalty overwhelmingly driven by the fairer sex? If so, why? What's the attraction? You're right, I don't understand, just as I cannot understand the adoration accorded to 'pop stars' who cannot sing and actors who cannot act. It's all enough to make me reach for my Chateau Cardboard. :conf:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
William the White wrote:
Methinks that anyone with such high principles against the monarchy should refuse to accept the holiday given. I mean how could anyone on such a principle accept it. :D
Feck! Thanks Worthy - you made me realise I'd booked it as part of my annual leave entitlement! I'll correct that tomorrow - unprincipled, holiday-loving bastard that I am... :D
Last edited by William the White on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:53 pm

William the White wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
William the White wrote:
Feck! Thanks Worthy - you made me realise I'd booked today it as part of my annual leave entitlement! I'll correct that tomorrow - unprincipled, holiday-loving bastard that I am... :D
Me too! :mrgreen:

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 pm

I'll be having a quiet day, readying myself for the all day bender on the Saturday as its Blackburn away - unless they rearrange the fixture of course.

But I'll be doing my best to avoid seeing any of the Wedding on telly, I'm sure I'll be absolutely bored stiff by all the weeks of build up to it, xbox will come right in handy

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Everywhere in this country is gonna be booked up isn't it....I did the booking 3 days of = 11 thing but wouldn't mind a bit of cheap break inspiration.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Everywhere in this country is gonna be booked up isn't it....I did the booking 3 days of = 11 thing but wouldn't mind a bit of cheap break inspiration.
Darwen for a couple of nights?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:39 pm

P.O.S. wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Everywhere in this country is gonna be booked up isn't it....I did the booking 3 days of = 11 thing but wouldn't mind a bit of cheap break inspiration.
Darwen for a couple of nights?
:lol: