Car Insurance bail hooks

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Car Insurance bail hooks

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:31 pm

I've been doing my annual trawl through what should be a simple task today.

To cut a long story short, do companies have a formula for your risk increasing after a number of years with them, and so up the premium accordingly?

Only, I'm the kind of person who tends to stick with the same company, because simply I can't be arsed with the hassle of switching.

But this year my re-quote went up over double the original price, in what would be the fifth year with them. The same thing happened last time I had to switch from Direct Line, who quoted me a ludicrous price for no change of circumstance after 4 years with them.

So the question is, am I unlucky, or is this normal?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: Car Insurance bail hooks

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Definitely more the norm.

Gone are the days of the wise hanging around with the same provider.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Bolton in general has markedly risen in premiums these last 12/18 months. Not just private car either, taxi insurance, commercial vehicle, motor trade etc.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Car insurance on avearge is up at least 35% I think I read.

I usually ring up and quote other company's prices or fiddle with the type of cover/named drivers etc.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:23 pm

I do all those things. But its a trend I've noticed when staying with an insurer (well its happened twice after the same period of time).

Let me put it simply, last year my insurance was about £400. The same company were quoting me £880 to renew, yet on the comparison sites, I could get it for about £425 (a slight increase on last year, same details). The same happened with Direct Line a few years ago. What I'm wondering is, are they working out some statistical probability that you're more likely to have an accident the longer you stay with them, and so they try to get you off the books?

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I do all those things. But its a trend I've noticed when staying with an insurer (well its happened twice after the same period of time).

Let me put it simply, last year my insurance was about £400. The same company were quoting me £880 to renew, yet on the comparison sites, I could get it for about £425 (a slight increase on last year, same details). The same happened with Direct Line a few years ago. What I'm wondering is, are they working out some statistical probability that you're more likely to have an accident the longer you stay with them, and so they try to get you off the books?
It may be the case that the company you're with have lost money on your particular area, postcode. In which case, they will offer a higher quotation so you move.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:39 pm

That might be it.

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Insurance companies will offer silly prices to new customers to get them on board.
Once they have you they hope that you will stay with them, and just renew without question.
I once stayed with the same insurance company for over 5 years, but when I changed my car they woulndnt even give me a quote cos they didnt want my bussiness on that perticular car.
Got a fantastic quote from Tesco Insurance but the following year they nearly doubled their price.
Now I shop around and then ring my current provider and tell them the prices I have been quoted.
Amazingly they then match the best price I have been given, and away we go again.
This stratagy works with every provider you have (broadband, sky, virgin, house insurance, etc)
If you are adamant that you want to leave them they will offer youy the earth to stay for another year.
Whats that catchphrase.............

NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm

I tried that with Direct Line.

I pointed out I was a long term customer, and that I was happy to stay with them if they could match the 30 or 40 other suppliers much lower prices. They basically told me that they offered a better service, and when questioned on what exactly their "better service" was, they simply reverted to the line that effectively meant they couldn't give a toss whether I was their customer or not for a lower price.

Won't be using them again.

Unless of course they offer some ludicrously lower price than everyone else.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:21 pm

davroduk wrote:Insurance companies will offer silly prices to new customers to get them on board.
Once they have you they hope that you will stay with them, and just renew without question.
I once stayed with the same insurance company for over 5 years, but when I changed my car they woulndnt even give me a quote cos they didnt want my bussiness on that perticular car.
Got a fantastic quote from Tesco Insurance but the following year they nearly doubled their price.
Now I shop around and then ring my current provider and tell them the prices I have been quoted.
Amazingly they then match the best price I have been given, and away we go again.
This stratagy works with every provider you have (broadband, sky, virgin, house insurance, etc)
If you are adamant that you want to leave them they will offer youy the earth to stay for another year.

Offer the earth to stay with them? Not anymore. Other utilities may do that as your making them money, insurance could cost them.money.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:23 pm

davroduk wrote:Insurance companies will offer silly prices to new customers to get them on board.

Double post.

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Double post.
Correct........
This Bl00dy site was running so slow that I waited for 3 minutes to delete the double post but got fed up with waiting and looked at something else.
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Offer the earth to stay with them? Not anymore. Other utilities may do that as your making them money, insurance could cost them.money.
I can only go from my own experience.
Maybe doesnt work for everyone, but can honestly say that it works for me.
Saved over £100 on car, and nearly the same on house insurance.
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 pm

davroduk wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Offer the earth to stay with them? Not anymore. Other utilities may do that as
your making them money, insurance could cost them.money.
I can only go from my own experience.
Maybe doesnt work for everyone, but can honestly say that it works for me.
Saved over £100 on car, and nearly the same on house insurance.
You've got lucky then.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Fxcking dog insurance just went up by £100 a year. They and vets are the biggest rip-off merchants after solicitors.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Fxcking dog insurance just went up by £100 a year. They and vets are the biggest rip-off merchants after solicitors.
Try 'animal friends' Tango. Thats who we are with for the dog and cats, the insurance has barely gone up (if at all) despite me having to claim thousands on my geriatic dog (who they took on a few years ago when he was about 13) plus, they give a substantiial amount of their profits to animal welfare charities.

http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Fxcking dog insurance just went up by £100 a year. They and vets are the biggest rip-off merchants after solicitors.
Try 'animal friends' Tango. Thats who we are with for the dog and cats, the insurance has barely gone up (if at all) despite me having to claim thousands on my geriatic dog (who they took on a few years ago when he was about 13) plus, they give a substantiial amount of their profits to animal welfare charities.

http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers GG,I'll have a look at that one.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Premiums have gone up over 50% in a lot of cases. I'm with Direct Line too and had similar issues. You get better deals as a brand new customer elsewhere but year after you'll see same price hike to bring it in line. I believe direct line capped premiums for a number of years which is why the rises now feel so steep.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Direct Line was from 2003-2007 for me. Thats why I'm trying to ascertain if theres a reason, as its happened twice.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Been with Direct Line for 3-4 years. Last year they put the premium up by £120. I rang them to cancel and they managed to match the previous years price. This year they put it up by £130. I rang to say that I had a better price from Tesco, although the cover wasn't quite as good.

The bloke I spoke to said that they can't do anything about the price until customers tell them what competitors are offering. He then reduced the price to £10 less than i'd paid the year before. They just try it on.

I should have told them to shove it on that basis alone, but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of changing for a few quids worth of difference between them and Tesco. Wankers. the lot of 'em!