The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:21 am

Which entrance is best for the Heaton Park one - off Bury old road? Is the run near to the hall/toilets?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:21 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Third Aquathlon of the summer at Lea Valley White Water Centre (500m swim and a 5.5km run)

Another p.b. by nearly a minute. 36.37

Enjoying my post race fitness whilst it lasts. :mrgreen:

Update: 23rd out of 55 last night. More importantly 8th out of 36 in the series overall for my age group.
Good stuff GtE. All that endurance work will keep paying off for a while in the shorter events. Make hay and all that!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:25 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Which entrance is best for the Heaton Park one - off Bury old road? Is the run near to the hall/toilets?
Sheepfoot lane entrance on south side of park according to course page.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/heaton/course/

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:02 pm

Currently in dewsbury to watch a couple of mates run the Flat Cap 5, a 5 mile road race where competitors are encouraged to run in a flat cap.
Some bloke at the bar in full running kit, flat cap having a pint. I'll grovel round parkrun with a hangover but draw the line at pre race beers!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:52 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Currently in dewsbury to watch a couple of mates run the Flat Cap 5, a 5 mile road race where competitors are encouraged to run in a flat cap.
Some bloke at the bar in full running kit, flat cap having a pint. I'll grovel round parkrun with a hangover but draw the line at pre race beers!
I'd have thought they'd all have to run around whilst drinking pints of flat cap?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:26 pm

They all got pie and peas at the end which I had to watch them eat. Bastards.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Shakes his head in wonder at people trying to make road races interesting :mrgreen:

I did the Whittle Pike fell race tonight. Everything a fell race should be. Brutal climbs, muddy bogs and fast hair raising descents. Absolutely knackered at the end and filthy. Great stuff :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:20 am

Just completed my first parkrun in four years. Did not think it was that long ago!

26:23. Not bad, course has six hills in it (I guess it's called Hilly Fields park for a reason). Hopefully can get somewhere close to PB in the coming weeks!

Might be at the bolton one next saturday if anyone is around?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Just completed my first parkrun in four years. Did not think it was that long ago!

26:23. Not bad, course has six hills in it (I guess it's called Hilly Fields park for a reason). Hopefully can get somewhere close to PB in the coming weeks!

Might be at the bolton one next saturday if anyone is around?
Nice one. Me Bruce HG and BP did Heaton Park as full.kit wankers this morning. Felt grim after my birthday booze up last night. In London nexr week for the weekend so will miss you.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:51 pm

I think I went at it too quickly in the beginning and Cruella 2 finished me off so no PB this week. My mum power walked round her first one this morning though!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:52 pm

LeverEnd wrote:They all got pie and peas at the end which I had to watch them eat. Bastards.
Console yourself that they'll have been pale imitation Yerkshere pies.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Doing some fundraising for the half marathon with a couple of mates for Bolton Hospice.

Any donations greatly appreciated.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ ... lfmarathon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Good run over the moors this eve. Horwich to the pile then across to.the mast and through Smithills woods to Bob's Smithy where I abandoned my car. Very pleasant run but find it hard to run on that terrain.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:44 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Good run over the moors this eve. Horwich to the pile then across to.the mast and through Smithills woods to Bob's Smithy where I abandoned my car. Very pleasant run but find it hard to run on that terrain.

Through Smithills Woods to Bob's Smithy? Via Smithills Dean Road then? :conf:

Had a run round Antwerp today. God it's flat here! 45 minutes with no hill and I could barely get my heart rate up. Seriously.

Lovely place though.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Good run over the moors this eve. Horwich to the pile then across to.the mast and through Smithills woods to Bob's Smithy where I abandoned my car. Very pleasant run but find it hard to run on that terrain.

Had a run round Antwerp today. God it's flat here! 45 minutes with no hill and I could barely get my heart rate up. Seriously.

Lovely place though.

Not that far over. Where the new Woodland trust area is just off where walker fold road becomes collier row. Near the cigarette tunnel under the road.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiti ... smithills/

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:28 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Lovely place though.

Not that far over. Where the new Woodland trust area is just off where walker fold road becomes collier row. Near the cigarette tunnel under the road.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiti ... smithills/

Okay. More Barrow Bridge? Looks a good route that. May try it next time I'm up.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Yes it's not really Smithills but that's what they've called it. Nice area. Give me a shout next time you're around.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Excellent! We'll make a fell runner of you yet lad :oyea:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Excellent! We'll make a fell runner of you yet lad :oyea:
I wouldn't be betting on that if I were you.
Let me know your next couple and I'll have a crack.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:36 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Yes it's not really Smithills but that's what they've called it. Nice area. Give me a shout next time you're around.
Okay. Just don't get too far ahead. :grin: