The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:12 am

How's everyone getting on?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:28 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:12 am
A bit shit, thanks. Really struggling with initial lung capacity at the moment and I'm not entirely sure why. Absolutely no problem with recovery times and generally OK-ish after 2K or so, but getting there's a fecking nightmare just now and I don't know why. And no, it's not through setting off too fast either. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Better then you, I just don’t like to brag. Wouldn’t want to make you feel bad. :wink:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Jogged 2.5k and can still walk. Progress!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Glad to be back running again but my legs are so weak. Tried a longer run on Sunday and had to pack it in after half an hour, calves just can't hack it atm! Probabl shouldn't have gone back to five days a week after five weeks off, idiot.

Last year I was enjoying swimming and this January acquired a bike, so have sent an email off to the local tri club about joining. I'm not really keen on donning a wetsuit in anger but will prob be nice to do some other exercise other than running, for the sake of my legs if anything else.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:28 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
A bit shit, thanks. Really struggling with initial lung capacity at the moment and I'm not entirely sure why. Absolutely no problem with recovery times and generally OK-ish after 2K or so, but getting there's a fecking nightmare just now and I don't know why. And no, it's not through setting off too fast either. :conf:
Have you had Coronavirus? Could be long Covid. I struggled with any kind of effort up until June last year.

I'm not a doctor obviously...... :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Better then you, I just don’t like to brag. Wouldn’t want to make you feel bad. :wink:
You won't. I know you hate running so anything you do is good.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:05 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 pm
Jogged 2.5k and can still walk. Progress!
You can hop faster than I can run. :D

Glad to hear you're back on your feet

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm
Glad to be back running again but my legs are so weak. Tried a longer run on Sunday and had to pack it in after half an hour, calves just can't hack it atm! Probabl shouldn't have gone back to five days a week after five weeks off, idiot.

Last year I was enjoying swimming and this January acquired a bike, so have sent an email off to the local tri club about joining. I'm not really keen on donning a wetsuit in anger but will prob be nice to do some other exercise other than running, for the sake of my legs if anything else.
Yes 5 days in a row is going to hurt. Are you warming up/ down?

As for wetsuits don't worry about that unless you're doing an Olympic distance. If you enter a sprint tri they're mainly pool based. 400m swim 20k bike and a 5km run. You're North London based right? Check out HSV Hatfield tri. Great introduction to triathlon. So's Bedford but obviously further out. Also done Shepperton tri. All pool swims.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Have you had Coronavirus? Could be long Covid. I struggled with any kind of effort up until June last year.

Morag here suspects I might have had it and not known. Had a shite cold in Jan but that's about it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thanks :). Dragging my sorry arse out tonight. Will stagger round somewhere between 3-5 miles. Anything to get out of the kids bath time ;)

I’m wondering if T & F leagues might be back this year in some form under Boris’ plans?! 🤔 The thought of trying to make the pit in TJ scares me after 18 months or so of inactivity! That, and getting this body after one to many creme eggs back into Lycra! :oops:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Morag here suspects I might have had it and not known. Had a shite cold in Jan but that's about it.
It does sound a bit like it Bruce. You’ve been pretty good (well better then most of the rest of us) at getting out by the sounds of it.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:29 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thanks :). Dragging my sorry arse out tonight. Will stagger round somewhere between 3-5 miles. Anything to get out of the kids bath time ;)

I’m wondering if T & F leagues might be back this year in some form under Boris’ plans?! 🤔 The thought of trying to make the pit in TJ scares me after 18 months or so of inactivity! That, and getting this body after one to many creme eggs back into Lycra! :oops:
Just the one creme egg too many? 🤔 😉 Tbf you have learned to share!

Just 10k for the month so far for me. So much for my target of 75k. Hoping the lighter nights may help, not that they did last year! Announcement coming from Parkrun on Friday regarding the restart. As simple a format as it is, I find that inspires me more than anything. That and unlimited sausage afterwards!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Come to my workplace on 8th March and we’ll test you along with the 1k+ kids (3 times) and 150 staff! 🙄

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:22 pm

5 slow miles tonight for me, friend and the (bigger) dog. Happy with that. Time was shocking but want to get the distances in til 10km doesn’t seem like a one off miracle once or twice a year. That’s about 20k all in for February BP. I need to get out more then once a week!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:07 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:

As for wetsuits don't worry about that unless you're doing an Olympic distance. If you enter a sprint tri they're mainly pool based. 400m swim 20k bike and a 5km run. You're North London based right? Check out HSV Hatfield tri. Great introduction to triathlon. So's Bedford but obviously further out. Also done Shepperton tri. All pool swims.
Yes warming up/cooling down to a degree but undoubtedly not as much as probably should. Just doing too much after an injury. I'll get it looked at.

Ah i didn't know that! Much less daunting :D from discussions with my local club (Willesden) it looks like pools will be OOO on a club basis for a bit so it'll mainly be bike and running when things reopen. I will certainly check out those tris though. Maybe one in the summer before London training gets fully going :)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:22 pm
5 slow miles tonight for me, friend and the (bigger) dog. Happy with that. Time was shocking but want to get the distances in til 10km doesn’t seem like a one off miracle once or twice a year. That’s about 20k all in for February BP. I need to get out more then once a week!
Nice work! :oyea:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:27 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sounds good GG. I'd mix up the long slower runs with some short fast strides.Not a full out sprint, just 6x20-30 sec at the end or in the middle of a run. Keeps you on your toes but without knackering you out.

I'll get out again today, buoyed by Bruce's well wishes for my 'hip replacement surgery', which he tweeted to the commentators during the game last night. Sadly they just didn't care and ignored it. Hearts of stone.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
I think you secretly love running

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:34 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:07 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:

Yes warming up/cooling down to a degree but undoubtedly not as much as probably should. Just doing too much after an injury. I'll get it looked at.

Ah i didn't know that! Much less daunting :D from discussions with my local club (Willesden) it looks like pools will be OOO on a club basis for a bit so it'll mainly be bike and running when things reopen. I will certainly check out those tris though. Maybe one in the summer before London training gets fully going :)
As for Open Water Swimming there's loads near you (ish). There's Eton Dorney lakes, Merchant Taylor's Boy's school in Bushy (the Watford one), Herts Young Mariner's base in Cheshunt and Lea Valley White Water Rafting Centre. HYMB and Merchant Taylor's were open all through last Summer. Open from early May. Also check out the Albert Dock.