The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I once sprinted across a farm yard and cleared a five foot gate in 2.4 seconds. Mind you, there was a huge fxck-off German Shepherd dog behind me at the time. It's the truth. :wink:
I admire your composure in being calm enough first to set your stopwatch! :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Bloody show off! :evil:

Mind, I'm quite pleased that, at 44 years of age I am still improving. Might do a sub-20 yet!
Well exactly - it seems I am in severe decline!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 am

sod the athletics, it's time for FOOTBALL.

Second pre-season friendly at the weekend, won 3-2. Lasted 90 minutes which was nice.

One more on wednesday then full season kicks off at the weekend. Can't wait 8)
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 am

Verbal wrote:sod the athletics, it's time for FOOTBALL.

Second pre-season friendly at the weekend, won 3-2. Lasted 90 minutes which was nice.

Get your own thread dubbin boy! :twisted:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Just 5km this evening but am up to 2 runs a week! :D

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Pah! there is running involved in football. Sometimes.

6-1 win today. Not a bad start to the season.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Verbal wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Pah! there is running involved in football. Sometimes.

6-1 win today. Not a bad start to the season.
I played my (Liverpool supporting) niece and nephew at football today! They won 15-14 but only cos my nephew can't count! ;) Anyway, it left me knackered so there must have been some running involved :D

Probably gonna go out and attempt 10km again tonight if i can get myself motivated...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:27 pm

One week to go to my first triathlon.

Genuinely nervous. Just don't want to embarrass myself by being too slow in the swim and bike. The run will (should) be fine, but that's the last discipline.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Managed to re-conquer Old Kiln Lane yesterday, just a couple of rises. It's good cos mentally I seem to be reet and wanting to do the runs. Just my legs and cardio still a bit fecked :mrgreen:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Better to have the run as the last bit Gary, surely?!

Well done HRG, on the mend then?

Just ran 6.5 miles. About the same speed as last time (ie slow) bit gutted, thought i might speed up!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Got back from Slovenia yesterday - beautiful country and would highly recommend it. Any road, we used it as a chance to do some running and cycling. First day there and we set off on a 10k ish in the mountains and I was worried whether my recent knee problems would flare up again. 4 miles in and I went over on my ankle - badly. That put paid to me doing anymore running until the end of the 1st week, so did lots of cycling. I really cant get into cycling and God knows, I've tried. Does the pain in your arse go once you've been cycling regularly? After 10 or so miles it was like sitting on an iron bar :?

Gary - Good luck with the Triathlon - all that cross training should help but I hope you still have plenty in the legs to do yourself justice in the run.

HRG - Well done on the Old Kiln lane, poper hill training is that! Mrs G was running that way this morning.

GG - Dont worry about your pace for now. Get used to doing your 10ks at a happy settled pace where you can still just about hold a conversation. Once you're there start adding a fartlek session into your program. Good luck!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Slovenia is my new favourite place. Went in May, and that's where I did the ankle ligaments! Did some canyoning near Bled. First slide and "bang", had it. Beautiful country, and they did seem to cycle everywhere!

Yeah Old Kiln Lane'll help get me back into shape. Barrow Bridge Road is the other toughie, and Tockholes up Horwich, that's tough.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:46 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Slovenia is my new favourite place. Went in May, and that's where I did the ankle ligaments! Did some canyoning near Bled. First slide and "bang", had it. Beautiful country, and they did seem to cycle everywhere!

Yeah Old Kiln Lane'll help get me back into shape. Barrow Bridge Road is the other toughie, and Tockholes up Horwich, that's tough.
Foxholes in Horwich is the real deal. As part of my marathon training I had a 20 mile run that involved climbing Foxholes around mile 9. Tough, but my club do an occasional hill session there which involves 3 climbs of Foxholes and down Factory Hill and on the 4th climb up onto Winter Hill to the mast. Absolute agony.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

Harry Genshaw wrote: I really cant get into cycling and God knows, I've tried. Does the pain in your arse go once you've been cycling regularly? After 10 or so miles it was like sitting on an iron bar

Have you thought about putting a bike seat on? :wink:

HRG. When I'm in Bolton I have a nice little out and back I do. I run from Crown Lane up Winter Hey Lane through Horwich and out onto Chorley Old Road. Go up to Georges Lane and then from there follow the road up to the Pike. Quick breather to check the view then back down the same way. Out in 40 and back in 37 minutes.

GG I fully agree with Harry. Set your comfortable pace, say 9 minute miles and then introduce a few bursts of speed during the session. Start with 15 seconds then 30 then 45 then a minute and work back down again, giving yourself a couple of minutes recovery in between. In other words, a fartlek. :mrgreen:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 am

Harry, gel saddles are where its at, apparently!

G and H, yes i suppose you're right and its probably the advice i would give myself, we do loads of fartlek training with the kids at club. I'll maybe get my 10km feeling comfy and ok (am averaging about 9.10 a mile at the moment, it used to be, pre twins at LEAST a minute faster then that - told you i was slow... :( ) then add in some fartlek training. I'd really like to run off road a bit more in preperation for cross country but the vast majority of my running is done in the evening and the lights in the village are bad enough running on road, let alone off road, i'd probably fall down a rabbit hole or something!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Harry Grenshaw wrote:Harry Genshaw wrote: I really cant get into cycling and God knows, I've tried. Does the pain in your arse go once you've been cycling regularly? After 10 or so miles it was like sitting on an iron bar

Have you thought about putting a bike seat on? :wink:
Or if not, at least some vaseline.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Harry Genshaw wrote: I really cant get into cycling and God knows, I've tried. Does the pain in your arse go once you've been cycling regularly? After 10 or so miles it was like sitting on an iron bar
not until you divorce her, arf arf

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:46 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Got back from Slovenia yesterday - beautiful country and would highly recommend it. Any road, we used it as a chance to do some running and cycling. First day there and we set off on a 10k ish in the mountains and I was worried whether my recent knee problems would flare up again. 4 miles in and I went over on my ankle - badly. That put paid to me doing anymore running until the end of the 1st week, so did lots of cycling. I really cant get into cycling and God knows, I've tried. Does the pain in your arse go once you've been cycling regularly? After 10 or so miles it was like sitting on an iron bar :?

Gary - Good luck with the Triathlon - all that cross training should help but I hope you still have plenty in the legs to do yourself justice in the run.

HRG - Well done on the Old Kiln lane, poper hill training is that! Mrs G was running that way this morning.

GG - Dont worry about your pace for now. Get used to doing your 10ks at a happy settled pace where you can still just about hold a conversation. Once you're there start adding a fartlek session into your program. Good luck!

Only if you....oh wait. I had something for this.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 pm

I was being serious! Does nobody else get a sore backside cycling? I had a gel seat for my own off road bike but it just amazed me all these old gimmers cycling all over the place and I was shifting around like Marc Almond had dropped a rohypnol in my beer the night before!

Is it like your fingers when you first start on the guitar? Do you develop segs on yer arse after a while? :?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I was being serious! Does nobody else get a sore backside cycling? I had a gel seat for my own off road bike but it just amazed me all these old gimmers cycling all over the place and I was shifting around like Marc Almond had dropped a rohypnol in my beer the night before!

Is it like your fingers when you first start on the guitar? Do you develop segs on yer arse after a while? :?

Of course it bloody hurts!

Try vaseline (seriously) to prevent chafing and Sudocrem afterwards.